George Lucas to make Tuskeegee Airmen flick

Started by fyrfitrmedic, June 17, 2008, 10:05:51 PM

Flying Pig

Quote from: A.Member on January 18, 2012, 06:41:36 AM
Looks awful...couldn't even make it through the trailer. Cuba Gooding Jr?  Really?!    George Lucas sucks.   The only thing he did that was any good was the original Star Wars...everything he's done since has been riding it's coat tails and is garbage.   I'll pass on this one.

He was in the first one, thats probably why.  The dog fight scenes look like a game I play on my IPhone!!

Eclipse

In his interview on The Daily Show, he said he intended it to look like a newsreel someone had just dug up after 70 years.

I agree some of the effects did not look that great.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 18, 2012, 08:06:42 PM
Quote from: A.Member on January 18, 2012, 06:41:36 AM
Looks awful...couldn't even make it through the trailer. Cuba Gooding Jr?  Really?!    George Lucas sucks.   The only thing he did that was any good was the original Star Wars...everything he's done since has been riding it's coat tails and is garbage.   I'll pass on this one.

He was in the first one, thats probably why.  The dog fight scenes look like a game I play on my IPhone!!
What do you mean "he was in the first one"?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Thrashed

He was in the 1995 movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

Now he is in the 2012 movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/

I don't see a problem with Cuba in either movie. He's black and he wants to tell the story of the Tuskegee Airman. That's great.

I can't believe people trashing a flying movie that has not even been seen. I'll go see it. I love history and flying.

Save the triangle thingy

a2capt

What blows me away is it sure seems like there's been a lot of promotion for this ..

We thought that this weekend we might organize an outing instead of the usual Color Guard practice, as the CG has a posting to do Saturday night, and the next competition isn't until the end of April. They have some time now.

So, a look of the usual film sites and there's several theaters showing on Thursday, a few less on Friday, and two in Saturday. That's it. In the outlaying San Diego county area. The movie dies off before the weekend.

Incredible.

I also read bits of stories referencing that Lucas couldn't get Hollywood support on this because the cast was all black, and they didn't know how to market such a thing ... that wasn't the stereotypical black cast movie.

Huffington Post - Hollywood Says..
My Fox Houston - Hollywood Shuns..
Electronic Urban Report ...

I mean, really? No wonder I've practically given up on going to theaters. It's turned into a $30 dollar deal on average, and the experience is miserable. Sticky, stinky floors and carpets, half an hour of trailers, of mostly gangster and ghetto movies it seems, ads crammed down your face, forget it.

When the large popcorn tub went to $7 and $8 bucks, that was it for me. $5 was enough. Buy it, get it refilled on the way out, it was sorta worthwhile. Still vastly overpriced, but .. it's a captive audience.

About the only saving grace is at $9-$11 a ticket, the parents might actually leave the screaming, kicking kids at home.

Another thought was to use the upcoming 5th Tuesday and organize the movie as a unit event, it will undoubtedly be long gone and probably slated with the DVD release date being listed someplace if it's not already.

Every. Single. Time. I have been somewhere, where one of these remaining guys talked, it's been just amazing to hear. I guess that's one way to deal with it, pretend it didn't happen. The whole segregation thing, that this really highlights in a round about way. Just ignore it all.

That's the easy way, too bad.

A.Member

Quote from: Thrashed on January 19, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
He was in the 1995 movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

Now he is in the 2012 movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/
OK...but it's not like the two films are related (ie. series/sequel). 

Personally, I don't find Cuba Gooding to be a very good actor and casting him in the role is not a good choice.   Clearly, that is a matter of opinion.

Quote from: Thrashed
I can't believe people trashing a flying movie that has not even been seen. I'll go see it. I love history and flying.
I love history and flying as well.  But I also like my movies to have good acting and tell the story well.   As I mentioned earlier, for the past 25+ years, Lucas has been a horrible film maker.   Many of us already know a lot of the story - we can read it in a book just as well.  More over,  many of us have also met some of the Tuskegee Airman - we even had one speak at a Wing conference a couple years ago.   

Bottom line:  If I can't even get through a short clip or trailer for the film, I'm certainly not going to waste my time and money to sit through the entire thing.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Thrashed

Again, you said the movie wasn't good and the acting is bad. You have not seen it. ??

Save the triangle thingy

A.Member

Quote from: Thrashed on January 19, 2012, 07:18:34 PM
Again, you said the movie wasn't good and the acting is bad. You have not seen it. ??
I saw four and half minutes of the the 7 minute clip posted earlier....that was more than enough for me.

Thrashed

I'll see it. I just finished watching the Tuskegee Airman movie. I hadn't seen it in awhile.

I don't care about Cuba Gooding Jr, but he does have an Oscar.
George Lucas has done alright too (lots of awards). Although, I am a bigger fan of his early work: THX1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars. Plus, he did the story for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not a bad start.

There is very little on screen that I want to see, but a flying movie like this I will spend the money on. I'll see it in Hawaii this week on vacation.  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

a2capt

Okay, so we had an informal unit activity this morning, and saw the movie. About 20 turned out.

We went to see a movie, the first words I saw were to the effect of "this was inspired by..."

Not, "this is the actual story".

It was a great movie. It was eye opening, it filled in some details for me in that it made me ask some questions  of those in the group that knew more about it and I'm sure that was the point of the movie.

These guys did what they were trained to do, they didn't let all the rest of the politics get in the way of the mission at a whole. I know there's a whole lot more than can be told in 2 hours, and after all it is a movie so it's got to have some of that "movie" stuff in it.

But in the end, "the experiment" probably didn't go the way those higher ups had perhaps hoped, but it showed black, white, red, or yellow,  we're all on the same team and we all signed up to do a job.

Let's do that job and show them how hard we trained for it.

TrevDog

Went to see Rad Tails yesterday let me start by saying if you enjoy aviation then you should see this move. The air to air combat senses are amazing. Sure there are some cheesy lines and the screenplay wasn't the best on some parts on the ground but the dog fighting made up for all of that. Go see it.

♠SARKID♠

Just walked in the door from having seen the movie.  The script/screenplay - bad.  Really bad.  Cheesy as a wheel of Wisconsin cheddar.  The editing was very distracting. Every time a line was said over the radio the camera would cut to the person saying it with a fraction of a second pause in between.  It made the lines sound very disjointed and the chatter didn't flow at all.  On top of that, every time the camera was on a pilot in the cockpit the background noise would cut to almost nil.  The cockpit of a P-51 in combat is a screaming loud environment, not a calm coach class cabin on a 747.  You could also tell that the actors were just sitting in a plane on the ground, pretending to fly (SFX fail).  The credit titles were also written in what appeared to be Aerial font; looked really unpolished.  I expected a lot more out of Lucasfilm.

As for the story, it was great.  But nobody needed to make a movie for us to know that the Tuskeegee Airmen were nothing but the best.

bosshawk

I hope that you meant "nothing but the best"?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: bosshawk on January 22, 2012, 07:11:29 AM
I hope that you meant "nothing but the best"?

Mai finger werds no werk good.

Fixed.

Sleepwalker

I loved everything about this movie.  I believe if you are interested in Action, WWII, History, or Aviation then I think you will really enjoy the ride.   It is well worth seeing, in my opinion.
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

sarflyer

Saw the movie the night it opened.

Lots of pretty good shootem up scenes but the movie didn't impress me and I left thinking it wasn't that good.  I think the way it was cut is what killed it for me.

They portrayed things poorly.  And realistically it wasn't very realistic.  Does that make sense.

Just left the movie thinking it was a waste of money.  Saw "Man on a ledge" and that was good.  Starts a little slow but builds into a great flick.

Just my humble opinion.

Sincerely,
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Eclipse

That's unfortunate - perhaps the next one, where Hitler is encased in Carbonite, will be better.

No joke, Lucas said he's got a sequal and prequel in the hopper.
http://www.elecplay.com/all/news/red-tails-sequel-and-prequel-news/
Lucas appeared on The Daily Show earlier this month, where he revealed that he has plans for two more movies about the Tuskegee Airmen. He said he'd only make them if Red Tails turned out to be a hit, and it has now performed much better than expected at the box office. We'll let you know if he puts his plans into motion.

Quote from: a2capt on January 19, 2012, 05:14:07 PMI mean, really? No wonder I've practically given up on going to theaters. It's turned into a $30 dollar deal on average, and the experience is miserable. Sticky, stinky floors and carpets, half an hour of trailers, of mostly gangster and ghetto movies it seems, ads crammed down your face, forget it.

Agree - the theater no longers offers anything close to a value for the money, not when I can see the same movie in a few months for $1.00.
3D is not only a gimmick, but it works at home now, too.  Impressive visuals will hold you for about 10 minutes and then if there's no story people
are looking for the remote. 

This will only get worse as the industry as we know it dies slowly and prices continue to creep up in order to maintain the small market.
It will be interesting to see what the top end will be for a movie?  $20 $30?

"That Others May Zoom"