What to dowith my last 2 months

Started by CAPTSGT172, May 03, 2008, 05:00:04 PM

CAPTSGT172

I'm on the delayed entry program for the Navy.shippingout on 27 JUN for Great Lakes.  Which meanes I have less than 2 months to go as a CAP cadet.  Anbydy got a good sugestion for what I can do in 2 mo that would be cool as my last things todo as a cadet?
c/TSgt Mike Sanders
US Navy Delayed Entry 27 JUN 08
Frogman Forever!!!

Stonewall

PT. Yeah, PT seems like a good idea, but after watching Carrier, doesn't look like PT is too important.  What MOS?
Serving since 1987.

CAPTSGT172

Quote from: Stonewall on May 03, 2008, 05:24:17 PM
PT. Yeah, PT seems like a good idea, but after watching Carrier, doesn't look like PT is too important.  What MOS?

No, PT isn't too imporant for your average sailor! LOL! My recruiter would not fit into an air force uniform is you knowwhat I maean.  He laughed at me when I asked if the Navy had weight standerds like the air force, showed me a picture of his dad in the Navy with a BEARD.
My rate will be storekeeper, but I'm going to try out for the SEALs in Boot Camp.  I dont want to be a storekeeper, but the recruter told me that I cant enlist directly into the SEALs and that theyll take anybody if they can pass the Seal test. I've been doing this Seal PT routine that I found on the internet, and I'm doing about 60 pushups in 2 minutes and Im up to running 5 or 6 miles every other day to get ready. I already can swim really good too.

http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/
c/TSgt Mike Sanders
Frogman Forever!!!

mikeylikey

^ Don't forget about situps!  Also, get a variety of activities in your DAILY PT routine.  Don't limit just to what you are going to be tested on.  Try to get short runs in on your "off days", 5-6 miles is great everyday, but you will get better results if you do something else cardio 6 days per week with one day recovery.  I agree completely with Stonewall, PT you but off.  BE the guy that leads the run, always outperform everyone else.  It really is noticeable!

Good luck in your Naval Career!

Now I am off to watch the NCIS marathon on TV.  That is about as close as I come to the navy these days since I miss JAG because it is on too early when I am getting to work!   ;D  (JAG=best lawyer/military show ever, except for SGT Bilko)
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

SEAL, huh?  Go watch GI Jane and Navy SEALs.  You'll learn exactly what you need to know for your testing.

Better grow some gills and webbed feet.  I'm sure you've seen this, but maybe it'll give you a heads up on what to expect.  I'm no SEAL and I've never done anything cool, but I watch a lot of Military Channel...  ;D

PS:  Just out of curiousity, did you get your Mitchell?  Did the Navy give you any rank advancement for being in CAP?
Serving since 1987.

Cmdbuddy

His screen name is CAPTSGT172 (emphasis mine), so I don't think he got his Mitchell. 

Here's some information about Fitness Standards for Navy SEALs. 

http://www.thesealteams.com/SEAL_workouts/
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

See your recruiter and get a new job.

If you do not want to be a SK, and you do not make it through BUDS, you will still be an SK and you will hate every minute of it!  Try for HM (Hospital Corpsman) and volunteer with the Marines.  Try for anything you like, but make sure it is something you like.

Your promotions will still be in your rating.  You will have to learn to be a good SK to get promoted to petty officer and up through the ranks.  Being a SEAL is a qualification, not a rating.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 03, 2008, 07:22:41 PM
Try for HM (Hospital Corpsman) and volunteer with the Marines.  Try for anything you like, but make sure it is something you like.

My buddy is an HM in a Special Boat Team (SWCC) and LOVES it!!!!  I'd go for HM, everyone loves medics...
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Thats the nice thing about HM's.  You can be in the Navy OR the Marines as a Corpsman, and have your choice between SEAL's and Recon, Force Recon, or a regular grunt unit.  When you get tired of working for a living, you can transfer back to a Navy unit! ;D  Plus you can be a Marine reg Corpsman and you get to wear the Marine uniforms with your nasty sailor rank swen to the sleeve.  Well, except for the dress blues....those you dont get.

When I was a Sq. Leader I always said the Corpsman I had was the best Marine in the Platoon!  We taught him how to call for fire, call Close Air, and he qual'd with all of our weapons.  Plus he won the Okinawa Ironman contest.  That guy was a genetic freak is what he was....

As far as what to do......Just relax and dont accept any last minute dares from your friends!

CAPTSGT172

What i asked for at first was what I should do in cap my last 2 months, althouh I appreeciate all the extra adivce on what to do in the Navy.

I'm locked in as a SK. I don't think I can change that. I get a bonus for that rate, too. Thats' the Seal sight and I have been reading to get ready for BUDS.  I don't have a body of water nearbye to swim 1 1/2 miles in fins, but I do know I can swim 1,000 meters without stopping, no problem, and I've been running quite a bit.  I'm not sure that I can do 14 miles right now, but I will if I have to eventually.  And I do a lot more than just pushups.  I ride a bike, I do situps (160 in 4sets of 40, working up to 250 in 5 sets of 50 before i ship out), different kinds of pushups, pull ups, a thing called a flexed arm hang, and I just found a trail near my house that had those exercise stations, so I run and exercise at the same time. (I'm 5'9" and about 145 pounds, most of that is muscle!!  ;D  ;D)

But I want to do some cool stuff in CAP before I got to the Navy. THat's what I'm asking for ideas about.. 

Thanks!

(Oh, PS, no i did not get my Mitchell, but they gave me E-2 anyway because I have been in CAP for 2 years...)
c/TSgt Mike Sanders
Frogman Forever!!!

Stonewall

You know what I did?  And a long time friend of mine did something similar before he went into the Army (15 years before me).  Go on a long hike or camping trip.  Me and some friends spent 4 days camping.  Just the guys out near a lake and the ocean, and all we did was fish, surf, hike, swim, cook and have fun....basically we relaxed and reflected on our life.  My buddy, a 30 year CAP veteran, hiked for 2 weeks on the Michigan Trail. 

That's what I'd do.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Appalachian Trail here!   ;D

Man, CAPTSGT172, coolness on the E-2.  Sounds like you know where and what you want to do. 

I envy your upcoming training.  The first few months in the military are by far the best and most memorable. 
What's up monkeys?

Cmdbuddy

Did you apply for any NCSA's? 

It's a little late to apply for NCSA's, so if not, maybe catch an Encampment or two.

Actually... forget that.

Forget CAP and go pick up chicks and hang with your family and friends.  That's a lot more exciting.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on May 04, 2008, 02:39:49 AM
Did you apply for any NCSA's? 

It's a little late to apply for NCSA's, so if not, maybe catch an Encampment or two.

Actually... forget that.

Forget CAP and go pick up chicks and hang with your family and friends.  That's a lot more exciting.

Better idea:

Make it through BUDS and use a cattle prod to fend off the extra chicks.   ;D  Seriously, if you want ot make it through BUDS, start HEAVY PT NOW.  You'll need everything in the program that you saw, plus start a weight training program.  If you are skinny, start putting some wubby on your body.  Not too much, but really skinny types have neither the energy reserves nor the insulation required to spend hours and days in the water.

If you're really serious, make this your ONE AND ONLY MISSION.  It's going to take that much dedication.

GC

JohnKachenmeister

Sorry to hear that you are locked into an SK job.  Remember, your heart, mind, and body may be ready for BUDS, but a broken ankle will put you back into the supply room.

But, I really don't think you are as "Locked in" as you might think.  Give some thought to other jobs, something you may like better.  Then tell the recruiter that you have come up with a new plan.  He won't like it, but having to piss off a recruiter for a few days vs. being stuck in a job you hate for at least 8 years is a no-brainer decision.

You came on here seeking our guidance.  You have mine.  The decision is yours.

Stonewall

Listen to Mr. Kachenmeister.  There are two "swearing ins".  The one at MEPS when you enlist and the one the day you ship out.  Trust me, I speak from personal experience when I say you can walk into your recruiter and say "I don't want to go unless..."  Tell him that you've changed your mind and that you want something else.  If he says no, tell'em to have a good day and go see the Army, Marine, Air Force or Coast Guard recruiter.  Your MEPS and ASVAB will transfer over.  Again, trust me.  BTDT, I even got a t-shirt.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Don't they lock you in these days when you delay your enlistment??

I know it used to be the way you described, but there is still a contract for the delayed enlistment program......I think??
What's up monkeys?

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on May 04, 2008, 04:54:58 PM
Listen to Mr. Kachenmeister.  There are two "swearing ins".  The one at MEPS when you enlist and the one the day you ship out.  Trust me, I speak from personal experience when I say you can walk into your recruiter and say "I don't want to go unless..."  Tell him that you've changed your mind and that you want something else.  If he says no, tell'em to have a good day and go see the Army, Marine, Air Force or Coast Guard recruiter.  Your MEPS and ASVAB will transfer over.  Again, trust me.  BTDT, I even got a t-shirt.

He's right.  You've got them by the "short n curlies."  Tell them what you want.  They'll make it happen.  Trust me, too.  BTDT, got two t-shirts.

GC

CAPTSGT172

OK, thanks for the tips.

Just so you know, I have been running, working out, weight training, strength training and all that for about 6 months now. (I signed the papers about 3 weeks before Christmas, and was already working toward my goal before that)  I will be increasing my pushups and situps, in preparation for leavng, for the next 2 months.  I'm also going to add a half a mile to my run each week, that should put me in a good spot.

I have been doing all the Seal PT that I found online and like I said apart from the swimming 1 1/2 miles in fins (no open water nearby) and things like that, I'm right at the top of my game on the rest of those.

I would like to talk to some SEALS about what to expect, I've seen that thing from discovery channel and my dad offered to send me to this weeklong thing in Virginia that supposedly prepares people for SEAL school..  Boot Camp I'm not worried about.

BTW, my ASVAB scores were pretty crummy so that's why i'm an SK, not an electrician or a plane captain.  I hope to change my rate once I'm in and can get requaliifed.

c/TSgt Mike Sanders
Frogman Forever!!!

RiverAux

QuoteI have been doing all the Seal PT that I found online and like I said apart from the swimming 1 1/2 miles in fins (no open water nearby) and things like that, I'm right at the top of my game on the rest of those.
No reason that you couldn't swim with fins in a pool....

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Gunner C on May 04, 2008, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on May 04, 2008, 04:54:58 PM

He's right.  You've got them by the "short n curlies."  Tell them what you want.  They'll make it happen.  Trust me, too.  BTDT, got two t-shirts.

GC

Got the t-shirt, burned it cause it was ugly, then went and earned another......

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on May 04, 2008, 10:00:50 PM
QuoteI have been doing all the Seal PT that I found online and like I said apart from the swimming 1 1/2 miles in fins (no open water nearby) and things like that, I'm right at the top of my game on the rest of those.

Many public pools don't allow stuff like fins, masks, etc.

RiverAux

Really, why not?  Even if that is the case here, he might be able to get special permission with an appeal to patriotism.

Gunner C

Quote from: PHall on May 05, 2008, 04:12:04 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 04, 2008, 10:00:50 PM

Many public pools don't allow stuff like fins, masks, etc.

Getting used to swimming with fins is important.  It is completely different plus you tend to get horrific cramps after an hour or two.  You've never had a cramp until your calf muscle ties up in a knot.

In the pool, you'll have to do bobbing.  You'll see that in the SEAL movie.  DON'T tie up your hands and feet - they'll do that when you're in pool week.  We did it with a weight belt on and fins on the hands.  Hard to explain - you sit on the bottom, blow all the air out of your lungs, spring for the surface with the fins on hands (overhead).  When the tips of the fins break the surface of the water you push your arms down propelling you about chest high out of the water.  You take a breath and sink immediately to the surface.  It's not hard once you get the rythmn down.

They outlawed cross-overs (it killed too many students - about one a year) so that's one torture exercise you won't have to worry about.  You will, however, have to do flutter kicks with your fins on, sitting on the side of the pool.  Practice those until you can do 200 (four-count) easily.

BTW, check about your test scores.  To get into SF you needed a GT score of 110 (same score required for OCS).  If you didn't make the lower limit, you might be disappointed.

Just remember, "A breath of water is like no breath at all."  :D

GC

Flying Pig

My advice....dont do anything with CAP during your last 2 months! Maybe attend a couple Sq. meetings.  Say goodbye to friends and family and wrap it up.  This chapter of your life is closed for now and it has served its purpose.  Go forth, kick ass, and come back to us in a couple years when you have the money to rejoin! ;D

LittleIronPilot

Ratings? What are those?

I am a clueless idiot when it comes to the Navy, in the Army we had MOS's.

floridacyclist

Skydive into a squadron meeting?  ;D
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

O-Rex

CAPTSGT172:

I don't know if you're right out of High School, but enjoy your "endless summer," which you'll remember years from now as a pivotal point in your youth.   Many moons ago, I Dep'd into the Army the October after graduation.  Summer was fine, but for 2 months, I was kind of in the "twilight zone" while everyone went off to college, job or whatever.  By the time my reporting date came along, I couldn't wait to go.

Of course, stay in shape, but remember that once your time this summer is gone, it's gone forever; do the things (within reason) that you were too scared or too shy to do - six months from now you'll be bouncing around in the back of some truck with a couple of dozen other guys, or flirting with hypothermia at Coronado.  Needless to say, with 5 hrs sleep in 5 days, you will hallucinate, so make some good memories now to trip with later....

SarDragon

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on May 05, 2008, 09:00:20 PM
Ratings? What are those?

A rating is an MOS using letters instead of numbers, and more general in nature.

Here are some aviation crossovers:

15B and 15D - AD
15F - AE
15G - AM
15H-  AM
15J - AO or AT or AE *
15K - Any of the Aviation Maintenance ratings #, at the E-6 or above level
15M - *
15N - AT
15P - ? Not sure what the job is, so can't figure out the crossover
15Q - AC
15R - *
15S - *
15T - *
15U - *
15V - *
15X - AT or AE *
15Y - AO or AT or AE *
15Z - Any of the Aviation Maintenance ratings #, at the E-6 or above level

# - AD  Aviation Machinist's Mate
AE  Aviation Electrician's Mate
AFCM  Master Chief Aircraft Maintenanceman (E-9 only)
AM  Aviation Structural Mechanic
AO  Aviation Ordnanceman
AT  Aviation Electronics Technician
AVCM  Master Chief Avionics Technician (E-9 only)

* - These are dependent on the area of work and platform, and will also have a four digit NEC assigned to make assignment detailing more specific.

It's actually a little more complicated than that, but this is an example.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

If you do not want to be a SK, and you do not make it through BUDS, you will still be an SK and you will hate every minute of it!  Try for HM (Hospital Corpsman) and volunteer with the Marines.  Try for anything you like, but make sure it is something you like.

Your promotions will still be in your rating.  You will have to learn to be a good SK to get promoted to petty officer and up through the ranks.  Being a SEAL is a qualification, not a rating.

I was just going to say something like that.

JohnKachenmeister

Ratings? What are those?

I know Dave has more time as a Squid than me, but let me explain it in Army-ese.

E-1 through E-3 are considered "Non-rated ranks."  You are in training for your rating. You can be a Seaman/Fireman/Airman/Constructionman/Hospitalman Recruit at E-1; an Apprentice at E-2, and a Seaman (etc) at E-3. 

Normally a sailor earns his rating (MOSQ, to you) as an E-3.  He then may wear his "Striker mark" or the graphic symbol of his rating, above his E-3 stripes.  The two letters of the rating are added to his rank.  An Airman, abbreviated AN, (three diagonal green stripes), upon qualifying as an Aviation Boatswains' Mate, (The guys who operate the flight deck launch catapaults) becomes an ABAN.  He then sews a winged crossed anchors emblem above his stripes.

A few sharp Airman Apprentices (AA, two diagonal green stripes) might make it to qualification and become ABAA's.  That is rare, though. 

Upon making E-4, the former ABAN becomes an Aviation Boatswains' Mate Third Class (AB3).  He has earned his "Crow" as the eagle is called, with his striker's mark under the eagle and a single red chevron.  He is now a Petty Officer, or what you Dogfaces call an NCO.

Most sailors are in the "Seaman" (White strpes on blue, blue stripes on whites) track.  Aviation sailors are "Airmen" (green stripes).  Engine-room guys are "Firemen" (red stripes)  and Seabees are "Constructionmen" (light blue stripes.)  Nonrated hospital corps sailors wear the striker mark even as E-1's and are called "Hospitalmen."

The Navy still has a system like the MOS numbers, called "NEC's" or Naval Enlisted Classification.  I was an HM-8400 when I qualified as a corpsman.  When I finished Field Med School, my NEC became HM-8404: Field Medical Specialist.

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 07, 2008, 12:38:33 AM
Ratings? What are those?

I know Dave has more time as a Squid than me, but let me explain it in Army-ese.

E-1 through E-3 are considered "Non-rated ranks."  You are in training for your rating. You can be a Seaman/Fireman/Airman/Constructionman/Hospitalman Recruit at E-1; an Apprentice at E-2, and a Seaman (etc) at E-3. 

Normally a sailor earns his rating (MOSQ, to you) as an E-3.  He then may wear his "Striker mark" or the graphic symbol of his rating, above his E-3 stripes.  The two letters of the rating are added to his rank.  An Airman, abbreviated AN, (three diagonal green stripes), upon qualifying as an Aviation Boatswains' Mate, (The guys who operate the flight deck launch catapaults) becomes an ABAN.  He then sews a winged crossed anchors emblem above his stripes.

A few sharp Airman Apprentices (AA, two diagonal green stripes) might make it to qualification and become ABAA's.  That is rare, though. 

Upon making E-4, the former ABAN becomes an Aviation Boatswains' Mate Third Class (AB3).  He has earned his "Crow" as the eagle is called, with his striker's mark under the eagle and a single red chevron.  He is now a Petty Officer, or what you Dogfaces call an NCO.

Most sailors are in the "Seaman" (White strpes on blue, blue stripes on whites) track.  Aviation sailors are "Airmen" (green stripes).  Engine-room guys are "Firemen" (red stripes)  and Seabees are "Constructionmen" (light blue stripes.)  Nonrated hospital corps sailors wear the striker mark even as E-1's and are called "Hospitalmen."

The Navy still has a system like the MOS numbers, called "NEC's" or Naval Enlisted Classification.  I was an HM-8400 when I qualified as a corpsman.  When I finished Field Med School, my NEC became HM-8404: Field Medical Specialist.

I've been waiting for 35 years for someone to explain that stuff!  Thx!

GC

IceNine

I dunno about that.  Every Chief I have ever met save one was an SK.  Granted they were all at "The Quarterdeck of the Navy" but still my story rings true.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Quote from: IceNine on May 10, 2008, 12:38:51 AM

I dunno about that.  Every Chief I have ever met save one was an SK.  Granted they were all at "The Quarterdeck of the Navy" but still my story rings true.

Care to expand on that a bit? Tell me more about SKCs, and "The Quarterdeck of the Navy".

Story? This appears to be your only post in this thread.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 07, 2008, 12:38:33 AMUpon making E-4, the former ABAN becomes an Aviation Boatswains' Mate Third Class (AB3)... He is now a Petty Officer, or what you Dogfaces call an NCO.

You know, I have always been puzzled by this.  If the man is a Petty Officer Third Class, why is he called an "Aviation Boatswain's Mate Third Class (AB3)" Instead of a "Petty Officer Third Class (PO3)?"  I don't know of any other service that does this. 

SarDragon

All E-4s in the Navy are PO3s. Calling someone an ABF3 identifies both his rank and rating (specialty). No such animal as an AB3 - it's either ABE, ABF, or ABH, because of the different jobs they do on the flight deck.

I was an AT1 (Aviation Electronics Technician First Class) when I retired.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2008, 02:52:16 AM
All E-4s in the Navy are PO3s. Calling someone an ABF3 identifies both his rank and rating (specialty).

I get that, but what is the purpose of calling them ABF3, AT3, etc. instead of just calling them "PO3?"

Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2008, 02:52:16 AMNo such animal as an AB3 - it's either ABE, ABF, or ABH, because of the different jobs they do on the flight deck.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I've always been a little fuzzy about Navy knowledge, even though one of my best friends is a Seabee in the Navy Reserve.

Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2008, 02:52:16 AMI was an AT1 (Aviation Electronics Technician First Class) when I retired.

Thank you for your service. :)

cap801

I unfortunately have extremely little experience with cadet activities (despite being a cadet for two years--I was the only one in my squadron so you can see the dilemma) but I would go for some O-rides if you can.  I'm particularly biased here...I joined CAP to get my pilot's license and I firmly believe flying is the coolest thing ever.

Trung Si Ma

If your grandparents are still alive, spend time with them.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

SarDragon

Quote from: CCSE on May 15, 2008, 01:20:27 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2008, 02:52:16 AM
All E-4s in the Navy are PO3s. Calling someone an ABF3 identifies both his rank and rating (specialty).

I get that, but what is the purpose of calling them ABF3, AT3, etc. instead of just calling them "PO3?"

The formal form would be "ABF3 Schmuckatelli", etc. In normal conversation, it would be "Petty Officer Schmuckatelli". That's just the way we do it. "PO3 Schmuckatelli" would seldom be used.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret