Main Menu

CAP-centric blogs dying?

Started by RiverAux, January 24, 2008, 12:40:09 AM

RiverAux

There are two objective blogs focused on CAP that I'm aware of --- the venerable CAPBlog http://capblog.typepad.com/ and one that started not long ago called http://flyingminuteman.net started up. 

Flyingminuteman hasn't had any new content for two months and is apparently dead and CAPBlog is still puttering along, though somewhat weakly as of late. 

CAPBlog used to be a hotbed of talk, often times having reader comments on each blog in the dozens.  Lately, as often as not, there aren't any comments at all to most posts there.  Don't get me wrong, Midway6 is still putting up some good posts, but not as many people seem to be compelled to respond. 

Why is that?  One possibility is that there are less readers overall or people would rather comment using forums such as CAPTalk.  Personally, I think it is the latter.

For example, Midway 6 discovered (unfortunately) that CAP had a song.  He wrote about it and posted it on CAPBlog and got a total of 4 comments.  Shortly after it appeared there, RougeLeader obviously saw it and started a thread on CAPTalk which went on for 5 pages and 85 comments.

So, is all the energy that used to be found responding to CAPBlog now found on CAPTalk (and previously on the old CAP Portal)?

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BigMojo

Add http://www.capgear.net/ to the list...I really liked the way it started, but hasn't been updated since October 8th
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

IceNine

I think you're spot on, with the transition to the interactive forum based communication system.

What is happening is people are getting information from Midway Six and others, bringing here where it can be openly discussed.  The issue with the blogs is that you cannot start a new topic.  So why go and reply to single mind threads as in blogs when you can read topics from hundreds here.

Its an unfortunate but very real reality
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

Quote from: IceNine on January 24, 2008, 01:11:57 AM
I think you're spot on, with the transition to the interactive forum based communication system.

What is happening is people are getting information from Midway Six and others, bringing here where it can be openly discussed.  The issue with the blogs is that you cannot start a new topic.  So why go and reply to single mind threads as in blogs when you can read topics from hundreds here.

That's it exactally.

I look at CABBLOG as a "newspaper," putting out info and getting messages to the membership.  CAPTalk is more of a "discussion group."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyerthom

Quote from: IceNine on January 24, 2008, 01:11:57 AM

This format is easier to follow a thread and interact. That format is best to stimulate discussions and present a news topic. It really makes for a good blend (I refuse to use the word synergy). I check out Midway Six's blog often but I think I only ever commented once or twice. We really need both and I don't think they are dead at all. I do wish Tedda had more time for his comic. Maybe if we all say please ...
TC

pixelwonk

Admittedly, I'm pretty blogged out.

But since I've completed a very large project that's been taking up a lot of my time lately, I've got a little more time to write 'n draw.
Thanks for your kind words.

NIN

Blogging is a push (to the reader).  Forums are a participation (among readers)

Its a different kind of participatory environment.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

isuhawkeye

I know that my blog is not necessarily CAP centric, but I hope that it has helped to improve CAP's Emergency services capabilities

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 24, 2008, 01:39:39 PM
Blogging is a push (to the reader).  Forums are a participation (among readers)

Its a different kind of participatory environment.

I agree, which is why I'm not a big fan of blogs with comment areas, especially the CAP ones, because they tend to become very inefficient discussion forums with even less moderation than CT and CS.

As to the question in general, how many different sources for the same news stories do we actually need?

NHQ gives us the "official" news, and CT & CS beat the horse to death, resurrect it and then beat it to death again and again.

What I have found personally is that the more active I am in actually >doing< something in CAP, the less time I have to whine and complain about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 24, 2008, 02:40:24 PM
What is a blog?? 

I think it's one of those fancy pastries they sell at Starbucks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: Pylon on January 24, 2008, 03:17:53 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 24, 2008, 02:40:24 PM
What is a blog?? 

I think it's one of those fancy pastries they sell at Starbucks.

It was a B movie back in the late 50's:  "The Blog That Ate New Jersey"

;D

Murph

A few comments on this from the perspective of the "blogger":

First - if you'll notice, "it was I" who posted about the song, and about Brig Gen Courter - my point: CAPBlog is not Midway6 all the time, it's a small group.

That being said...

It is very hard to juggle blogging on your personal blog, CAP blog, and your work blog.  Not to mention the fact that many (most of us) also have full time jobs. 

I also run CAPGear - I was really excited about it in the beginning and I have not forgotten about it.  It just takes a lot of time, especially a blog like that, to keep it current.  I had a few "volunteers" who agreed to write for it also and they've been too busy themselves.

I think blogs are a great way to disseminate the "Tribal Wisdom" of our organization - but - at least in the case of CAP Gear, it will probably continue as a trickle versus a flow.

With a forum like this, you can have a discussion - no single person (or small group of people) position themselves as "the expert" as they do on a blog.  I think both mediums have a place in CAP.

/rant

Murph

chimera388

Don't forget That Others May Live AZ at thatothersmayliveaz.blogspot.com. :)

I read the blogs every day, and am always hoping for a new post.  Personally, I find forums overwhelming, especially ones as large as CAPTalk.  How many new posts do we have a day here?  Lots.  It's a little frightening.  I much prefer going through my list of blogs and looking for new posts, and of course praying for a comment on mine to show that it is being read (thanks Delta Charlie!).  Meh, maybe it makes me wierd, but so what.  I like blogs better.  I just wish they got updated more often...

RiverAux

What was flyingminuteman has apparently been reinvented as Swivel Chair Patrol http://swivelch[bannedurl]/ and appears to be a comic site.  Some new stuff too. 

mynetdude

it would be cool to convert Captalk into a central blog/forum, I like Tedda's comics... awesome! Well done, as for CAPGear great way to showcase and show off how gear can be used to our benefit and get potential sponsors to give you free gear to make a "selling point" for us CAPPers.

I know that the Joomla CMS system can integrate a blog and forum together you could have discussions for those who like discussions and you can discuss the blog topic after the article is posted somehow a new forum post is generated/made in the proper category and you can discuss it if you like.

Sure its a lot of work and would require time to transition, of course there is no reason to fix something that ain't broke either as this forum system works just fine.

Gunner C

Murph

Just a heads up - I've been updating CAPGear a bit lately.

Check it out!

Murph