Main Menu

Cadet Program

Started by Flying Pig, November 16, 2007, 07:22:52 AM

Flying Pig

I have been approached by a group who deal with inner city/at risk youth and they are interested in offering CAP to kids in the 5th-6th grade level. 
I have already expressed to them that CAP is not a juvenile boot camp, and we are not here to cater to kids with criminal intentions nor do we have the capacity nor the time, or resources to deal with kids who are there to cause problems.  I mention that because I have been approached in the past by groups who think we are some alternative to criminal probation.

The group  focuses their priorities on the black youth and wants to funnel them into CAP before they get caught up in the inner city life.  Hey, GREAT..Bring them all.  My issue, is that I dont want to create a separate clique in the Sq.  And I want to make sure  that I approach this organization with the fact that if they want to be a part of CAP, then they, the leaders, can bring them to CAP, but we run the program.  If they want to be a part, then they can  join CAP like anyone else.  I am not going to allow people to just hang around the Sq. because they decide to call themselves "community leaders."   Obviously I have the CPPT to back that up.

The person talked about getting donations from groups who want to help specifically inner city black kids and that CAP would be a great way to encourage that.  My position is that if these are CAP cadets, and money is donated for flight scholarships, encampement scholarships, money to buy uniforms or help with membership dues, as this group wants to do, the money should be donated to the Sq. and then the  Sq. staff decides which cadets it goes to.  What I do not want are scholarships/donations coming in specifically earmarked for a specific race of cadet.  Now if a cadet of a particular race or ethnicity want to use thier status in CAP to go apply for specific grants/scholoarships or solicit donations from groups, then fine, I have no issue, but those groups arent going to donate to the Sq with the expectation that only one race of cadet is eligable.

An before anyone jumps down my throat, the man was VERY specific that he helps black kids.  His statement was, "My priority is to show inner city black children that there is more out there in life than growing up to be a rap star and a drug dealer."  He wants to accomplish this by bringing successful black leaders, pilots, policemen, firefighters, etc. into the program to do presentations.  Again, all great, but my position is that when and if these people come, they come and talk to everyone and race is left out of it.  I have had Hmong and Laotion programs approach me wanting an avenue to help their specific race. I tell them we are here to help kids to be furture leaders.  Dont come if you think we are going to cater to your specific group.   You want a Laotian heritage fighter pilot to come and talk? Then get one.  I dont care what he/she looks like.  But he/she talks to everyone.

Fresno is very diverse in the people who live here.  We have Hmongs, Laotians, Sikh, Punjabi, Blacks, Mexicans, and everything else under the sun. Every group has a group specifically for helping the group and that group only.   I have no issues with people wanting to use CAP for their youth, thats what it is for, what I do have a problem with is people wanting to use CAP as a platform to help and provide scholarships, etc. for a specific race or ethnic group, or wanting to use the Cadet Program as an extension of another organization.  My position is that when you join CAP as a cadet, you are a cadet.  The Senior staff will decide if you have earned an award based on your merit and performance.  I want to make sure I express that anyone is welcome based on meeting CAP entrance requirements, but that we dont give awards based on our skin color or ethnic heritage.

Again, I look forward to meeting and sitting down with this guy in a couple weeks when he comes to the Sq to check it out. Our senior staff is diverse and so is our cadet staff.  Any thoughts or has anyone dealt with these types of issues?

docfate

I agree with your view 100%.

CAP should be about Aviation and Helping Others in our community, as well as serving the US as needed.

And as you said, if these groups want to introduce CAP as another option for kids to discover what serving others is all about.. then bring them on.

And if they want to donate money, then you are correct, do it to the squadron.

I think you should definately make that clear to them.

Eusebio Preciado
2nd Lieutenant
Squadron 35

BillB

As an alternative start a new Squadron. Since you are talking about a specific area of the community, it should fit in. While you are not talking about segregating by race, it could be open to any of the inner city kids. Your problem would be finding a senior staff for the unit. Back when segregation was the norm, there were several all-black Squadrons, both in inner city and rural areas. They did not perform any less than the "all-white" Squadrons. There probably would be enough community leaders, black or white that would be interested in helping out these kids.
Placing them in a separate flight in your Squadron, would not work and probably violate the law. But placing them in a Squadron of kids from the same geographic area regardless of race would solve the problem. I think you'll find that CAP does answer the goal of keeping this group "off the streets" and provides a path to leadership and opens new challenges to the kids. With the financial support that appears to be offered, the new unit could provide the needed direction in life for the kids. I've seen units that were 99% black that were equal to any other CAP Squadron, and it provided a whole new world of experiences for the under privledged kids from specific school, predominately black. One of those kids ended up as the mayor of his city because CAP provided an avenue to better themselves and keep them out of the "gangs" that form in any community.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mikeylikey

Call PAWG HQ (717-861-2335) and ask to speak to someone about the Philadelphia School Initiative Program.  They have done what you are discussing.  Heck.....it was so successfull, it is getting all of the PAWG money for the School Initiative program and we can't get any to expand it. 

They have both after school programs, traditional school squadrons, holiday break camps, Summer vacation camps.  The gentleman who runs it full time (Paid) is awesome.
What's up monkeys?

ZigZag911

You also want to get someone (maybe a chaplain?) to explain very clearly the non-discrimination regulation....I've seen urban/inner city squadrons work wonders with young people....and the best ones are the ones where the only color that matters is AF blue!

Flying Pig

My thoughts exactly....thanks

CASH172

If a squadron were to cater to specific races, it would likely just fuel race divisions within the squadron.  Some cadets would only talk to some cadets based on color and it's just not what the cadet program needs or what CAP needs.  I have no problem in helping young teenagers in life but it has to be done responsibly.  Plus, it has to also embody the same principles and ideals of any other squadron in CAP.