Main Menu

Whats the difference?

Started by usafcap1, September 19, 2012, 10:34:55 PM

usafcap1

Whats the difference between the Civil Air Patrol and the United States Air Force Auxiliary? Aren't they the same?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

They are functionally the same, the difference is a nuance in insurance coverage and funding, relevant primarily to bean counters and lawyers.

There will now be eleventy-leven responses that detail the public law, regulations, and the "whens and ifs" - none important in any substantial
way to the average member, nor the general public.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

So...there's a USAFAUX and CAP?  :-\
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 19, 2012, 11:00:44 PM

Nope. 

Same people, same airplanes, same command structure, mostly the same money and resources.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2012, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on September 19, 2012, 11:00:44 PM

Nope. 

Same people, same airplanes, same command structure, mostly the same money and resources.

??? :o color me confused by this thread then...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Back in the last century, CAP was always the USAF Auxiliary. Some years ago, ten or so, the structure changed so that CAP operated as the auxiliary only on AF-assigned mission. Otherwise, CAP operated just as the full time civilian corporation that defines the other half of its being.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on September 19, 2012, 11:39:34 PM
Back in the last century, CAP was always the USAF Auxiliary. Some years ago, ten or so, the structure changed so that CAP operated as the auxiliary only on AF-assigned mission. Otherwise, CAP operated just as the full time civilian corporation that defines the other half of its being.

And things have gone to Hades in a handbasket ever since, making the organisation ever more schizoid and divided between those who are pro-AF and those who just want to be "flying ES, all the time."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 19, 2012, 11:27:12 PM
...color me confused by this thread then...

From an auxiliary status perspective, CAP is only a military auxiliary when engaged in an AFAM - in that case the funding comes from the USAF, as does the
insurance, and the extra coverage of FECA for for members injured in the line of duty.

Otherwise the funding and insurance come from either the client or corporate funds, and we are self-insured (backed by the federal government) for liability
and member injury, while no FECA coverage is provided (this is why the USAF wants un A's & B's as much as possible).

The above is the core of the "AUX-ON / AUX-OFF" nonsense.

Otherwise there is no distinction whatsoever.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

In contrast, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is all Auxiliary, all the time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

usafcap1

Okay, okay... I think I understand... So if I am not doing AF stuff I am in the Civil Air Patrol. But when I am, I'm in the United States Air Force Auxiliary... Right?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

spacecommand

CAP is a private non profit organization (the Corporation's name is CIVIL AIR PATROL) that when performing certain missions is the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

spacecommand

Quote from: usafcap1 on September 20, 2012, 12:12:26 AM
Okay, okay... I think I understand... So if I am not doing AF stuff I am in the Civil Air Patrol. But when I am, I'm in the United States Air Force Auxiliary... Right?

You are always a CAP member.

For the regular member it has more to do with who is paying for the expenses and injury (eg while performing a mission in it's Auxiliary role you are covered by Federal Employees Compesnation Act FECA).   

Fubar

Quote from: CyBorg on September 19, 2012, 11:51:13 PMIn contrast, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is all Auxiliary, all the time.

So is MARS.

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on September 19, 2012, 11:39:34 PM
We are ALWAYS the USAF auxullary.....were are only an instrument of the government when we are on AFAM missions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP