What would you like to see CAP accomplish at the national level in 2012?

Started by RiverAux, January 01, 2012, 09:22:27 PM

RiverAux

What one thing would you be happiest to see CAP accomplish at the national level in 2012?  Be specific.  I don't want to see generic statements like "I'd like to see CAP and the AF have a closer relationship". 

rustyjeeper

This may seem generic--
but how about update the regulations that are far out of date...
and get a few things like the I-Cut and New E.S. Specialty Track tests made available this year?

a2capt

Sort out the uniform mess, or at least make an earnest effort to do it with blatant evidence visible. Period.

No ICLs, no moratoriums, no excuses. Just do it.

Al Sayre

Kill the triangle thingy and come up with a single coherent identity plan to be used to market CAP.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 01, 2012, 10:49:04 PM
Kill the triangle thingy and come up with a single coherent identity plan to be used to market CAP.
Just curious, but why does everyone hate the "triangle thingy" so much? I am no fan of it by any means- but I am very confident that someone at NHQ could come up with much worse- if they gave it their full attention ;D
Coming up with and acting upon a identity plan,  or finishing up some of the other projects that never seem to get done would be time well spent.
I am afraid that some genious would come up with a pink beret on top of a bowling ball head riding in a biplane as our new officail logo or something worse....
Me- I prefer a "triangle thingy" to whatever the marketing geniuses can think of..... ;D

GroundHawg

Quote from: a2capt on January 01, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
Sort out the uniform mess, or at least make an earnest effort to do it with blatant evidence visible. Period.

+1 (and it would be ideal if all the things I want changed get changed and all the things I like stay the same ;D)

Al Sayre

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 01, 2012, 11:11:50 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 01, 2012, 10:49:04 PM
Just curious, but why does everyone hate the "triangle thingy" so much? I am no fan of it by any means- but I am very confident that someone at NHQ could come up with much worse- if they gave it their full attention ;D
Coming up with and acting upon a identity plan,  or finishing up some of the other projects that never seem to get done would be time well spent.
I am afraid that some genious would come up with a pink beret on top of a bowling ball head riding in a biplane as our new officail logo or something worse....
Me- I prefer a "triangle thingy" to whatever the marketing geniuses can think of..... ;D

Because it dilutes our "Brand recognition".  The old "Prop in Civil Defense Triangle" has been around for since the 1940's and is widely recognized, much as the script Coca-Cola logo, Apple's Apple, AT&T's "Yellow Pages", and many other corporate logos are widely recognized.  It has been our identity for 70 years.  Using numerous additional logos such as the Round Seal, Command Shield and Triangle Thingy tends to confuse the outside observer as to our identity and makes us look schizophrenic as an organization.  We need to follow the lead of the big well recognized corporations and stick with what works well.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

rustyjeeper

Thanks for the explanation.
I agree the  Civil Defense prop is a well established symbol as are the logo's of Coca-Cola, Nike,  etc. all  are brand recognition- no question of it. But with that said I can remember a triangle thingy logo from WIWAC (80's) which was very commonly used.
No doubt about it CAP does need to market itself better, I had to search for it in order to rejoin my unit. I have always lived within 20 miles of the same unit and for many years I never heard of them until I specifically looked to see if they still were in existance because I had a child who I wanted to getthe same opporunities I had a a cadet. If I had known that CAP was still active and around I might have rejoined sooner than I did. Rarely in MA is the CAP on the news or mentioned in the papers, although over the past year I have seen improvement on that, and I hope the trend continues with or without triangle thingies as a logo. Personally I think the organization just needs to promote itself and worry less about branding on a National level, get the name and what we do as the civillian Auxillary of the Air Force out there- that is what attracts the younger generation. I think at least.....

a2capt

No, the one you remember WYWAC is *not* TTT. That is the Civil Defense Prop logo.

That thing on the right - they tried to used it on the magazine for a few issues. It makes it say "VALUNTEER" D'oh!

That thing .. someone got petitioned to make a cute little logo for a Summer board meeting and ... well, it stuck, and it sucks.  ..and it's creeping all over everything, and they've had agenda items to legitimize it since.

The Uniform Manual mess is probably more important, as I said in my first post.  OTOH, this could be in a stretch considered part of uniformity.

rustyjeeper

You are most likely correct, but if someone like me isnt sure and does recall (or thinks they do) then in fact it is close enough to have done it's job!
I prefer the one on the left myself.  BUT to me it is'nt really important since either logo I can associate with the "CAP brand" in my head- too much energy gets devoted into the small things and nothing ever gets fixed...
Nike had it right- Just do it!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Someone wake me if that happens.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 01, 2012, 09:28:30 PM
This may seem generic--
but how about update the regulations that are far out of date...
and get a few things like the I-Cut and New E.S. Specialty Track tests made available this year?
Second.

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 01, 2012, 11:12:01 PM

+1 (and it would be ideal if all the things I want changed get changed and all the things I like stay the same ;D)
+1 more. Don't care what they do, just do it. Theodore Roosevelt: "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."

Let's quit doing the worst thing.

rustyjeeper

arajca

Develop a standard for disaster relief/response training.

Accept that there are far more members that can do ground work than can do air work and utilize those members effectively.

Update all pamphlets more than four years old.1

Same with regs.1

Develop a cohesive branding plan, including four - six website templates for units to use.

1 If no update needed, re-release with current date.

On the emblem discussion, notice the first three are visually easy to relate to each other. Red prop on a white triangle on a medium blue field. Contrast with the TTT - red prop overlaid on a light blue hollow triangle. All have the words Civil Air Patrol, but only the first three reflect our affiliation with the Air Force - two with words, one with shape.

Huey Driver

One idea we have circulating at the wing level CAC is having three levels of model rocketry, just like specialty tracks and ground team levels, etc. I'm not familiar with the curriculum for model rocketry, but I feel like it could be possible to have basic, senior, and master ratings in model rocketry. Along with this would come the basic badge, then with a star, then with the star in a circle... or something along those lines.

Ideas? Suggestions? Corrections?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 02, 2012, 11:34:56 PM
One idea we have circulating at the wing level CAC is having three levels of model rocketry, just like specialty tracks and ground team levels, etc. I'm not familiar with the curriculum for model rocketry, but I feel like it could be possible to have basic, senior, and master ratings in model rocketry. Along with this would come the basic badge, then with a star, then with the star in a circle... or something along those lines.

What problem does this solve? What need does this fill that would justify the increased cost?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on January 03, 2012, 12:04:50 AM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 02, 2012, 11:34:56 PM

What problem does this solve? What need does this fill that would justify the increased cost?
Continues interest in Model Rocketry. If you progress into designing and building model rockets, application of math and physics. More of the whole 'lost' mission - AE.

I'm actually working on something similar, not ready for release yet.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: arajca on January 02, 2012, 04:59:09 PM
Develop a standard for disaster relief/response training.

Accept that there are far more members that can do ground work than can do air work and utilize those members effectively.

Update all pamphlets more than four years old.1

Same with regs.1

Develop a cohesive branding plan, including four - six website templates for units to use.

1 If no update needed, re-release with current date.

On the emblem discussion, notice the first three are visually easy to relate to each other. Red prop on a white triangle on a medium blue field. Contrast with the TTT - red prop overlaid on a light blue hollow triangle. All have the words Civil Air Patrol, but only the first three reflect our affiliation with the Air Force - two with words, one with shape.

+ 1   to all of the above.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Extremepredjudice

Diversifying our income sources.

Deciding on one logo. I'd rather move to the terrible triangle than have 3 or 4 logos.

Creating tests for promotions that test on regs. I had a c/TSgt. Ask me what reg was the uniform manual.
The average member hasn't read the regs. We can all agree CT users are above average.

Allowing members to wear ABUs as an option, at least.

Other than that I wish for the usuals, better regs, better relationship, etc.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ol'fido

I would like to see the Task Guides for ES changed to regular CAP manuals and the certifications for various mission positions such as GT, MRO, etc. changed to another format. I don't want to reduce the knowledge and practical skills necessary for qualification. In fact, I think they should be increased. I just want a training and certification program that doesn't foster a "Checkbox" mentality.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006