Summer Board Meeting Discussion Thread

Started by DakRadz, September 03, 2010, 09:30:39 PM

DakRadz

I did not want to hijack another thread for this purpose, and I haven't seen one specifically for this.

For thoughts, comments, opinions, and civil discussion of the Board meeting.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Asking questions about who is attending the meeting, any news on the meeting, and about the live stream.

The AAR thread would be most relevant, but once again I didn't want to hijack a thread.

EDIT: I'll go to the After Action thread for now, and return here if that one is locked...

IceNine

Item 20 Confirmations- Passed as written
Chazel Chief of Staff
Vest National Finance
Herrin NLO
Charles Controller
Woodward Chaplain

All Confirmed as national officer

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Mustang

Aaaand....Chitwood is out!  I bet he's FURIOUS.

He shouldn't be, he gets to keep his star for doing absolutely nothing for two years.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

IceNine

Not until the NEC decides so, and they can drag their feet for up to 18 months.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ZigZag911

NEC should do it immediately -- turn it into a non-issue -- make him just another "used-to-was"!

Earhart1971

Quote from: Mustang on September 04, 2010, 05:52:24 AM

He shouldn't be, he gets to keep his star for doing absolutely nothing for two years.

An Interesting point, Keeping the STAR!

How many on the Board come across as "Hey look at me types"?

You know the CAP LT COLONEL in ten years, with all the online and in residence courses and tickets punched, the rows of ribbons.
And have no clue how to steer CAP.

Eclipse

Actually very few, and when you consider the pressure of trying to "lead" 60K cats who aren't even required to show up,
you might give them a bit more slack.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2010, 07:25:41 PM
Actually very few, and when you consider the pressure of trying to "lead" 60K cats who aren't even required to show up,
you might give them a bit more slack.

Why give anyone slack?!?  If they are in a prominent position of power....they wanted that and need to meet the standards.  Giving slack is a compromise of standards and everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions or inactions as in the case of some of our leaders.

I also do not understand how we are being led either!  I follow the guidelines laid out in regulations and manuals, and occasionally have to meet requirements passed to me by Wing and Group.  If anything, we are poorly being led as our national command team does not even follow the rules regarding policy changes and proper procedures when a change is needed.  (reference change letters, that have not been incorporated into the regulation it is in regard to)

We have too many people pushing their own ideas on all of us at the same time that it seems like they are not communicating with each other. 

I also like how not a single person at this meeting had the moral bravery to question the marketing and branding schemes that are being implemented in absolute disregard for the rules, common sense or normalcy of what it is we need. 

JC004

Quote from: Patterson on September 04, 2010, 07:41:53 PM...
I also like how not a single person at this meeting had the moral bravery to question the marketing and branding schemes that are being implemented in absolute disregard for the rules, common sense or normalcy of what it is we need.

:clap:  The issue continues to gain a lot of attention among the membership.  In time, hopefully, it will gain sufficient attention at the National Board level.  Hopefully then someone will stand up to say "this has to end."  Someone has to take leadership on this issue as it continues to spiral out of control in a thousand directions.  We are simultaneously putting DIFFERENT logos on the web site, letterhead, aircraft/vans, regulations, random publications, marketing materials, and junk that Vanguard produces.  One organization heading in a crap ton of different directions.  That's a problem.

Earhart1971

Logos and Marketing: You got to understand, with NO SPENDABLE MONEY in the CAP Budget, the only thing you can do is create neat little Power Point Gizmos, and marketing plans on paper. It goes nowhere except a web site and looks nice in the objectives power point at each NB meeting. Then they adjourn for lunch.

Ok, I am being a little too sarcastic? Its all in fun!

JC004

That's what we've been hoping for...a marketing plan on PAPER. 

We want to say...ok, this is our logo, this is how you use it.  These are our colors, this is how you use them.  This is our tagline, this is how you use it. 

It's simple and easy.  That's the point.  Having 20 logos is hard.  We are spending money on marketing - just doing it wrong.  How much do you figure we paid the Marketing Diva lady to tell us to blog?  Heck...the PowerPoint that she presented even had the name of another company on one of the slides - where it should have said "Civil Air Patrol."  Waste.

RADIOMAN015

It was interesting to watch the presentation of National Awards to the various dedicated volunteers, as well as listen to the narrative for each award.

I should have kept count of which uniforms were worn by the awardees.  Seemed like most of the comm guys wore the blazer.   Even our commander wore the blazer outfit.

Don't know if they used a separate video feed sponsored by someone else, but there were no issues in watching it :clap:
RM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on September 04, 2010, 09:49:43 PM

It's simple and easy.  That's the point.  Having 20 logos is hard.  We are spending money on marketing - just doing it wrong.  How much do you figure we paid the Marketing Diva lady to tell us to blog?  Heck...the PowerPoint that she presented even had the name of another company on one of the slides - where it should have said "Civil Air Patrol."  Waste.
Looks like the triangle and "spinning" red propeller is going to be the new logo.  At the end of the Annual Conference Banquet the presentation included the new logo.  Additionally centered above the head table was also the same logo.

Actual I like it, not sure how it would fit on the typical CAP military uniform but definitely would look good on the blazer.   Gentlemen, spin your propeller :angel:
RM

RickFranz

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 04, 2010, 11:07:54 PMI should have kept count of which uniforms were worn by the awardees.  Seemed like most of the comm guys wore the blazer.   Even our commander wore the blazer outfit.

RM

I thought is was interesting that our Senior Member of the Year was wearing the CSU,
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Slim

Quote from: RickFranz on September 05, 2010, 04:45:01 AM
I thought is was interesting that our Senior Member of the Year was wearing the CSU,

I hope I just read that comment the wrong way

How so?  Having known him ( and consider him a friend) for going on 30 years, I can tell you that he's a dedicated, active member of CAP.  Former cadet, Spaatz (749), worked his way up through the senior program as well.  Has held positions at all levels, has a couple of master ratings, a few senior ratings, is an IC, MP, and a couple other ES quals.  He's one of the few people in MIWG who has been to more encampments than I have (32, I want to say), has run a week-long AE activity for the last couple of years.  There are very few seniors around our wing who are current and fluent in all three program areas, and he's one of them.  This was-I'm sure-helpful in his selection for both SMOY, and MIWG/CC.

Or, was it really all about the uniform?

Slim

JCJ

CV work is mostly behind the scenes, and is limited to what the CC directs the CV to do.  I am in an informed position to tell you that Brig. Gen. Chitwood has worked very hard in several arenas (mostly out of the spotlight) and has supported very well both the corporation and the National CC.  If you look closely at the details, you will also discover he has stood above & refused to allow himself to be drug into recent controversies - which is exactly as he should do.

Quote from: Mustang on September 04, 2010, 05:52:24 AM

JC004

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 05, 2010, 04:38:09 AM
Quote from: JC004 on September 04, 2010, 09:49:43 PM

Looks like the triangle and "spinning" red propeller is going to be the new logo.  At the end of the Annual Conference Banquet the presentation included the new logo.  Additionally centered above the head table was also the same logo.

Actual I like it, not sure how it would fit on the typical CAP military uniform but definitely would look good on the blazer.   Gentlemen, spin your propeller :angel:
RM

Ah, yes.  The spinning propeller.  The mark of professional branding.

I've field tested various uses of the spinning propeller and have been able to make a decision on how it would best be used.  I feel that this usage matches its feeling of professionalism, yet provides a distinctive that the Air Force is currently not using - although once they see this baby, they are going to want to steal it.  Available in Air Force blue, woodland camo, blueberry, orange for PAWG, and ultramarine blue.

RickFranz

Quote from: Slim on September 05, 2010, 05:15:07 AM
Quote from: RickFranz on September 05, 2010, 04:45:01 AM

I hope I just read that comment the wrong way

How so?  Having known him ( and consider him a friend) for going on 30 years, I can tell you that he's a dedicated, active member of CAP.  Former cadet, Spaatz (749), worked his way up through the senior program as well.  Has held positions at all levels, has a couple of master ratings, a few senior ratings, is an IC, MP, and a couple other ES quals.  He's one of the few people in MIWG who has been to more encampments than I have (32, I want to say), has run a week-long AE activity for the last couple of years.  There are very few seniors around our wing who are current and fluent in all three program areas, and he's one of them.  This was-I'm sure-helpful in his selection for both SMOY, and MIWG/CC.

Or, was it really all about the uniform?
At times on the\is board it would seem that the CSU and those who wear it have little to offer and therefore should not be around. 

I was very impressed by his record and I have nothing but respect for what he has done for Civil Air Patrol.  I was trying to point out that those that can not wear a regular AF uniform do have a great deal to offer this fine organization.  That was all I was trying to say.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1