Main Menu

Multiple things...

Started by juicedude10, March 17, 2010, 12:09:46 AM

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

juicedude10

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2010, 08:39:34 PM
Well, in your 13 posts, you've made no mention of your gender, and your height of 5'2" might (unfairly, I might add) lead someone to believe that you could be a female.

Also, after a second look, he didn't say "ma'am, he said "ma' man" [space added to clarify].

"Lighten up, Francis."

uhh, okay, and yeah i see that its now ma'man, but i didn't see that before, and yes i said i was a guy up there when i said the thing about "ma'man".... I'm just 13, so i think i'm around 5' 2" not exactly sure. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 19, 2010, 09:26:08 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2010, 08:39:34 PM
Well, in your 13 posts, you've made no mention of your gender, and your height of 5'2" might (unfairly, I might add) lead someone to believe that you could be a female.

Also, after a second look, he didn't say "ma'am, he said "ma' man" [space added to clarify].

"Lighten up, Francis."

uhh, okay, and yeah i see that its now ma'man, but i didn't see that before, and yes i said i was a guy up there when i said the thing about "ma'man".... I'm just 13, so i think i'm around 5' 2" not exactly sure. 

Ok, I've seen most of your 19 posts now, and my suggestion is this:

Go to your local unit, and ask them about CAP and what you would get to do.

We're not the Army. We're not like the Army. We don't have medics. We don't jump out of airplanes. We don't go to war/die in combat.

You're 13, and I understand the age you're at, because I remember what I was like at that age. Still, try to do some research, gocivilairpatrol.com <<< start there.

Cecil DP

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 19, 2010, 05:38:49 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on March 18, 2010, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: juicedude10 on March 18, 2010, 07:57:40 PM
Alot. There Special Forces branch is amazing.  They have a ton of schools. There amazing.  They can do alot, of sea, air, and land stuff.  They do sooo much. Also, the 101st were the paratroopers on Normandy. :clap:

HAA...Relax ma'man... I was kidding.  My grand father, father, several cousins and uncles were all Paratroopers in the 101st and 82nd.

Robert Steht Sgt./USMC 0331 (former)
                    Sgt./US Army 11B30 (former)

and uh why'd you call me ma'am? I'm a guy!
How could he tell? You don't put your name on your posts.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

Are there many females that call themselves "dude"?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

At the risk of running this completely off the rails, his post #10 was the first one where he specifically ID'd himself as a guy. My earlier figure of 13 was incorrect.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vmstan

Quote from: Marshalus on March 17, 2010, 11:43:25 PM
No minimum weight requirements. However as a cadet you'll need to follow grooming requirements. I think for you the best way to get information would be to go visit either a cadet or a composite squadron and talk with the leaders and other cadets there. They can better guide you on what you'll need to do, plus you can see what you'll be getting into. There is no obligation to join and you can visit as many squadrons as you like to see which one fits you best.

There is a unit locator on the CAP website, I would suggest starting there. http://cap.findlocation.com/

Best of luck.

I'm just going to quote what I said earlier and hope this recruit goes and does it, and gets off CAPTalk before we hurt him.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

juicedude10

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 20, 2010, 02:45:31 PM
hurt me? As in what?

As in most people won't put up with too many questions like the ones you've been asking after a while, and people get snappy.

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

juicedude10

Quote from: Marshalus on March 20, 2010, 09:01:38 PM
Correct

Well sorry, for having questions that I would like answers for?

Spike

^ Have you talked with or spoken to any CAP members in your area??

juicedude10

Yes I have, but I never have to time to get most of the questions answered.

SarDragon

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 21, 2010, 06:43:54 PM

Then how are you going to have time to participate? A new cadet can count on spending at least 6 hours a week doing things directly related to CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2010, 07:19:48 PM

Then how are you going to have time to participate? A new cadet can count on spending at least 6 hours a week doing things directly related to CAP.

I would venture to guess that during the normal meeting he's getting herded around to this class and that and only has a direct opportunity to ask questions about the program for a few minutes each week.  It's what most squadrons do.  "Hey, a new guy.  Hey cadet, go show the new guy how to drill because we don't have anything in place for new people..."

Seriously, how much time does the average cadet have during the meetings to interact with each other?

In classes, they are typically listening or conversation is directly related to the topic at hand.
During drill, they can't talk and certainly can't ask about NCSA opportunities.
After closing formation, they're ushered out the door.
If they show up early, most are told that they need to talk to their flight sergeant by the only senior that shows up.

But, I'm sure you get the picture...

He's excited about CAP, it's not a bad thing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

juicedude10

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 21, 2010, 07:54:37 PM

I would venture to guess that during the normal meeting he's getting herded around to this class and that and only has a direct opportunity to ask questions about the program for a few minutes each week.  It's what most squadrons do.  "Hey, a new guy.  Hey cadet, go show the new guy how to drill because we don't have anything in place for new people..."

Seriously, how much time does the average cadet have during the meetings to interact with each other?

In classes, they are typically listening or conversation is directly related to the topic at hand.
During drill, they can't talk and certainly can't ask about NCSA opportunities.
After closing formation, they're ushered out the door.
If they show up early, most are told that they need to talk to their flight sergeant by the only senior that shows up.

But, I'm sure you get the picture...

He's excited about CAP, it's not a bad thing.

Thank you, finally someone understands where I'm coming from.

Rotorhead

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 21, 2010, 07:54:37 PM

I sure hope that's not typical. It isn't in the units I have seen.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Rotorhead on March 22, 2010, 01:02:24 AM
I sure hope that's not typical. It isn't in the units I have seen.

The average CAP squadron has ~20 members.  Which implies that there are some with more, and some with less.  As I'm sure you've seen, there are some power house squadrons.  So, if some units have 100 members, where does that leave the others? 

If we apply our total membership split that implies approximately 12 seniors and 8 cadets per squadron.  If you have a 75% attendance rate on any given night you end up with 6 cadets and 8 seniors or 14 people on any given night.  In reality, I would venture to guess that they have ~50% attendance.

I'm sure that many of us on this site are from bigger units.  My last unit comprised nearly 30% of the entire wing at one point.  The top three units in the wing made up 70% of the wing membership.  The headquarters had another 10% or so of the wing assigned to it leaving about 20% remaining for the rest of the 7 units.  Not very pretty when you actually look at it.

So, we take our squadron with 14 people and break off the seniors that aren't cadet programs people or can't speak with much authority on the cadet program and we're probably down to 1-2 that have some "clue."

You can see where I'm going with this.

Short Field

There is no excuse for not having good communications from the bottom up.  If you are too busy to answer a new cadet's questions, you are probably too busy to be teaching them anything anyway.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

Not answering questions posed by a potential member is not cool. I wonder if that squadron is scratching their heads over the lack of new members. I remember walking in the door for the first time with my son as a prospective cadet. We were met by a cadet with a squared-away uniform, who greeted us warmly. Upon hearing that my son was interested in joining, she exclaimed, "Outstanding. Come with me and I'll show you around." He was introduced to everyone, and put in the front seat of a 172. The rest, as they say, is history.

I'll never forget that first impression, my introduction to Civil Air Patrol. Now, as a cadet officer, it's something that my son makes sure happens to every newbie. Being too busy to welcome a new member? Never.