Main Menu

New CAP Uniform

Started by sandman, October 12, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

NIN

Maybe, just maybe, this gentleman was involved in a tragic explosion at a Navy uniform sales establishment, and he staggered from the wreckage wearing what happen to stick....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

wuzafuzz

What a cool blast to the past!  From 1981ish-1984 I was a Sea Cadet at VP65 based at Point Mugu Naval Air Station.  Good memories.

Regarding the uniform, NSCC officers/instructors are required to wear the Sea Cadet patch on each shoulder.  The patch background matches the color of the uniform and uses gold color thread.  It gets a little lost on the white but stands out clearly on the khakis and blues.  The exception is leaders who are authorized to wear the real Navy uniform.  Caveat: my info is ancient, but supported by current NSCC websites. A Google search for images of Sea Cadet uniforms will bear that out.

I have no idea what organization the fellow in the photo is representing.  I have seen unaffiliated color guards invent some curious uniforms.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

D2SK

Did anyone notice that the guy with the stars is also wearing a SPAATZ ribbon?
Lighten up, Francis.

JohnKachenmeister

Actually, I have to disagree with DNall.

While each state makes its own rules for the uniforms of its various state militias (militi?), there exists a national association calle dthat "State Guard Association of the United States."  The SGAUS published a recommended set of uniform regulations, that DO authorize the wear of CAP ribbons and badges.

I don't know if Texas has adopted the recommended set of regulations, and as a point of fact, I'm not sure if Texas has a state naval militia.

But... as I see it there are only two alternatives that can explain the uniform pictured:

1.  Admiral of the Texas Naval Militia

Or

2.  Outright fraud.

Somebody pLEASE find out!  I'm dying to know!  Oh, the DRAMA!!!!!!
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

I just looked up the Texas State Guard website.  They DO have a "Maritime Regiment" of the TXSG commanded by a Rear Admiral.  (Peter Andrus)

JohnKachenmeister

According to the marginal information, the photo was taken in 2005.  RADM Peter Andrus assumed command of the Maritime Regiment in 2006.  Also, Andrus is CLEARLY not the person pictured, being of a different ethnicity.

Can any of you Texans shed any light on this?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: tedda on October 13, 2008, 02:44:42 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2008, 02:40:04 AM
Quote from: sandman on October 13, 2008, 02:35:19 AM
Here ya go....

The guy started his own 501(c)3 program that allows all ribbons and accoutrement. Gives new meaning to "an Army / Navy / Air Force of one"  ;D

Which is called?  We know it can't be the US Ranger Corps.
The US Corpse Rangers!
dispatching zombies for America

Tedda, you're back!

Maj Ballard

Quote from: D2SK on October 13, 2008, 02:45:14 PM
Did anyone notice that the guy with the stars is also wearing a SPAATZ ribbon?

I don't see a Spaatz ribbon. I see a CAP Lifesaving ribbon though. (Red with white and yellow stripes.)
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

D2SK

Lighten up, Francis.

pixelwonk

Nope. The outer "white" stripes are actually yellow.

He does have on the GRW  though.

Edit: who knows whether he aware of which way the GRW goes.  Not that it matters.

lordmonar

Okay....playing devils adovocate here...

This yahoo here....has some CAP ribbons, some USAF ribbons, CAP wings, and Jump Wings on his navy blue uniform with rear admerial (Upper Half) stars on.  And what looks like a CAP ES badge.

Okay...

on the CAP side....everthing looks Kosher and within the CAP regs (as far a where to wear them).
On the USAF side....everthing looks sort of kosher with the exception that no one with so little time in service would have some many unit awards.  I will throw him the bone....that back when he was in the USAF (assuming that he was) it may have been back in the day when you wore all of your unit citations while you were a member of that unit (kind of like how the army does it today) but you took them off when you changed units.  If he was a member of just one unit (which is possilbe given how little time he served) he may have never encountered the "take those off" situation.

I won't address the jump wings or the navy star as I got no information about them one way or the other.

So....assuming that the navy like organisaiton that he currently belongs to allows CAP and AD military ribbons and he is some HRMF in said organisation....everthing looks more or less kosher.

Having said that....you would think....that the a Rear Admeral in the Tx Militia (or what ever he belongs to) would have a bit more militia ribbons then he is sporting.

On that note.....other than the fact that he looks to us to be a total poser of some sort....he actually does not look that bad in uniform.  I've met some AD, CAP and others who, following all the rules, still look like fecal matter in uniform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sandman

So, is it agreed that the ribbons are as followed?:

1. Presidential Unit Citation with second award
2. AF Outstanding Unit Award wth Valor and second award
3. AF Outstanding Unit Award
4. National Defense Service Medal
5. AF Small Arms Marksmanship
6. AF Good Conduct Medal
7. CAP Lifesaving Award
8. Gill Rob Wilson
9. Garber Ribbon
10. Grover Loening
11. CAP Leadership Ribbon with second award
12. CAP Membership Ribbon
13. CAP General Yeager Ribbon
14. CAP Red Service
15. CAP Find Ribbon
16. CAP Search and Rescue with propeller device (air search)
17. CAP Disaster Relief
18. CAP Encampment Ribbon
19. CAP Special Activities Ribbon

and of course...
Master Observer Wings
Airborne Wings
Master Emergency Services Badge
O-8 devices on collars and hat
Navy style winter blue uniform

Question about the CAP Red Service Ribbon, with so much experience, can one conceiveably earn all those ribbons and devices in less time that it takes to earn a second device on the Red Service Ribbon? What about the Leadership Ribbon?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Eclipse

If he's only a Master in one track, he'd only have one attachment on the O'Davis ribbon.

Its not out of the question to do all that in less than 10 years - I have basically the same
CAP resume in about 9 and was not very active the first two.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Same here...I am one wing conference away from getting my Level III and as soon as that is done I need to do my ECI 13 to complete all my requirments for Level V...and I only got 5 years in.

One note on the USAF ribbons...if he only has the V and one pip on his AFOUA then he should not have two ribbons.  (USAF allow up to 4 pips on one ribbon)....also his good conduct medal should be before his marksmanship.

SilverEagle2

QuoteI need to do my ECI 13 to complete all my requirements for Level V

Since ECI 13 is required for Level 2, shouldn't that be done by now?

QuoteIf he's only a Master in one track, he'd only have one attachment on the O'Davis ribbon.

I only see one and it is a silver star, so that checks out.

QuoteIts not out of the question to do all that in less than 10 years

While I agree with you, he appears to have done level 5 in under 5.

Since the first clasp is earned at 5 Years that would be a little more tight.

Another problem is that he has his NCSA below his encampment. Not correct, otherwise he did OK at the CAP ribbon order.

Just some observations.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

lordmonar

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 13, 2008, 06:54:27 PM
QuoteI need to do my ECI 13 to complete all my requirements for Level V

Since ECI 13 is required for Level 2, shouldn't that be done by now?

Currently using my USAF NCO Academy for ECI 13....if I go back and go ECI 13 I get to bump my USAF PME up one to cover RSC and NSC.

QuoteIts not out of the question to do all that in less than 10 years

While I agree with you, he appears to have done level 5 in under 5.

Since the first clasp is earned at 5 Years that would be a little more tight.

Or maybe he just forgot to update his Red Service Ribbon.  (But yo woule think a bling hound like him would stack everthing he was allowed. )

SilverEagle2

Ahhh...makes more sense now with the additional data.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

sandman

So, with all of that said, the guy otherwise looks somewhat sharp!

How about a new corporate CAP uniform? One the AF does not have to worry about?    >:D
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

lordmonar

Quote from: sandman on October 13, 2008, 08:24:08 PM
So, with all of that said, the guy otherwise looks somewhat sharp!

How about a new corporate CAP uniform? One the AF does not have to worry about?    >:D

We got two of those already....do we need a third?

JohnKachenmeister

Anybody know who he is yet?