Main Menu

New CAP Uniform

Started by sandman, October 12, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on October 13, 2008, 01:00:02 AM
I don't believe I'm speculating in any way, though I would certainly agree there is no legal way in which that uniform could exist as configured. Now, while I'm quite sure Owen doesn't know anything about it, or care, how would it resolve anything to have the picture taken offline?

That's censorship in order to tolerate behavior you know isn't acceptable (or legal), in order to prevent CAP from looking bad to the 99.5% of the world that would have no idea this guy is doing something wrong. That should cause your core values nerve to twinge a little.
Once pointed out, it would be common courtesy for the Sea Cadets to remove it (and completely cricket if they choose to make a legal issue with him for embarrassing them publicly).

Censorship is governmental requirement that images or messages not be made public. Pulling photos that make you look silly is common sense and good practice.

If the NSCC people choose to leave it there, there's not much we can do.

The core value nerve you feel twitching is because of all the people in both NSCC and CAP who likely made note of the issue at the time and said / did nothing but take a photo with him.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Who is that guy really?

He can't be a Tuskegee Airman because he's too young.  Plus, he don't have the right ribbons.

He's not in a CAP uniform, although he clearly is wearing CAP wings, ribbons, and a CAP badge.

I don't think he is a RADM in the Sea Cadets.  I don't think they have admirals, but I'll admit I don't know for sure that they don't.

If he is a two-star, he's the first one I ever saw who never got so much as an achievement medal and never was in combat or overseas.

I really don't have a clue.  I'm leaning heavily to the idea that he is some kind of poser/faker.

The only thing I can think of that would be a legitimate deal is that he might be in a state Naval Militia.
Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 13, 2008, 01:37:13 AM
Who is that guy really?

He can't be a Tuskegee Airman because he's too young.  Plus, he don't have the right ribbons.

He's not in a CAP uniform, although he clearly is wearing CAP wings, ribbons, and a CAP badge.

I don't think he is a RADM in the Sea Cadets.  I don't think they have admirals, but I'll admit I don't know for sure that they don't.

If he is a two-star, he's the first one I ever saw who never got so much as an achievement medal and never was in combat or overseas.

I really don't have a clue.  I'm leaning heavily to the idea that he is some kind of poser/faker.

The only thing I can think of that would be a legitimate deal is that he might be in a state Naval Militia.

Methinks something's rotten in Denmark...

CAP pilot wings with a star and 'toilet seat' - not too many I know wear 'em. (Ditto with Master Observer wings.)

ES badge with a toilet seat? Gotta have done time as a Wing ES weenie. Not too many of 'em in TXWG.

Texas does have a Squiddie state militia but certainly not around the DFW area.

If it turns out this guy's a fake [mod redacted --MK]
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on October 13, 2008, 01:00:02 AM
I don't believe I'm speculating in any way, though I would certainly agree there is no legal way in which that uniform could exist as configured. Now, while I'm quite sure Owen doesn't know anything about it, or care, how would it resolve anything to have the picture taken offline?

That's censorship in order to tolerate behavior you know isn't acceptable (or legal), in order to prevent CAP from looking bad to the 99.5% of the world that would have no idea this guy is doing something wrong. That should cause your core values nerve to twinge a little.

Sometimes you surprise me with your perspective on things.  Removing photos that are clear faux pas, i.e. those that should never have gone up in the first place, is a common practice among PAOs.

In this situation, and I should point this out, no one really knows much on the detail...however, it seems that everyone has an opinion as to who and what this fellow is.  Here is one of those opportunities people take to try to turn "speculation" into facts. 

May I, as I so often due, call for some temperance in this matter until the facts are clearly known?  Until that is done, removing the pics (and even the less than objective words in this thread) might best display a modicum of professionalism.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

sandman

Certainly not Sea Cadets....even the National Commander is only a Lieutenant Commander.....although it would be very cool if the USNSCC finally allowed progression beyond LCDR (O-4).

Most likely not Tuskegee, they seem to wear a blazer type dress uniform.

Probably not Texas Naval Militia. Two stars belong to the Adjutant General (who is usually in an Army uniform).

He is wearing CAP master observer wings, Army basic jump wings, A CAP ES badge, mixed CAP awards with real military including two ribbons of the air force outstanding unit award...one of them with an oak leaf and a "V" device. I see the reserve officers association ribbon (ROA). Also mention was the army/air force presidential unit citation with oak leaf.

It would be interesting to read his two line name tag to see if that would shed some light.

things that make you go "hhmmmmm...."

EDIT:  Sorry, that blue ribbon second row under PUC is the AF Good Conduct, not ROA, my bad... (ROA has red/white/blue in center of the ribbon)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

cnitas

Ranger Corp uniform perhaps?   >:D
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DNall

Those are AF ribbons, not state or navy related.
Quote from: sandman on October 13, 2008, 02:07:43 AM
Probably not Texas Naval Militia. Two stars belong to the Adjutant General (who is usually in an Army uniform).

For sure not. That's a couple small dets under the overall state guard, which is commanded by a one-star (state guard type). TAG is a 3 star on the state commission. Even if that were the case, CAP decs would not be allowed on a state guard uniform. Only federal & state awards.

Looks to me like:
Pres unit citation (requires combat)
outstanding unit award (req combat)
looks like a DFC (way wrong order, req combat)
NDSM
Marksmanship
AF good conduct medal

As for speculation.... there's no legal way this uniform could exist as configured. It's an absolute fact that this is a violation of federal law & disgrace to service members just as clearly as it would be if the guy were wearing a medal of honor.

Yeah NSCC can take it down to avoid embarrassment. But, then nothing happens to this guy. Isn't that just one lie covering up another? And tolerating a lie/disgrace to avoid embarrassment? Doesn't that pattern of lies on top of other lies eventually become some kind of web? I mean I don't know at what point that occurs or if a secret decoder ring comes with it, but you know what's right & wrong as well as I do.

sandman

Ranger Corps  :clap:

I was thinking Texas Navy, but the admirals seem to wear blazers too.

Can anybody zoom in on the name tag and clean it up?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

addo1

Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2008, 11:01:48 PM
It appears this was taken during the "Tuskegee Airmen Youth Day" at Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, TX.

Note this photo, which matches the hanger and there appears to be one of the officers from NSCC in the background who appears in other photos in the Picasa album (which I'd be willing to bet gets taken down or edited quickly after someone from TX-354 or Group III gets wind of this thread).

I am one of the ranking cadets at TX-354.  That hangar is not one that we meet at or have been to.  None of the cadets in this photo are members of our squadron.  The Sea Cadet in the first picture is though.  I have no idea as to whom the guy he is standing with is.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Cecil DP

Quote from: MSgt Van on October 12, 2008, 10:26:08 PM
In case you're wondering, the AF ribbons he's wearing are (from top down, left to right)
                                    Presidential Unit Citation
{Looks like two outstanding unit awards}  {National Defense ribbon}
{Marksmanship ribbon    {AF good conduct ribbon, (less than 6 years of service)}

Nothing big here... no decorations, just service or unit awards. 
It looks to me like there's two identical ribbons in the row next to the top.

The two identical awards are Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards. He's also wearing the Army Good Conduct Medal and the USAF Small Arms Expert Ribbon. I'm impressed that the collar stars are Navy (connected), rather than seperate as worn in the Army/Air force.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

Quote from: addo1 on October 13, 2008, 02:27:17 AMThat hangar is not one that we meet at or have been to.  None of the cadets in this photo are members of our squadron.  The Sea Cadet in the first picture is though.  I have no idea as to whom the guy he is standing with is.

Those photos are from the previous year, but appear to be from the same event.

Obviously at least one of your members has been there, just not in a CAP capacity.  The info was taken off of the Texas Group III website.

"That Others May Zoom"

sandman

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 13, 2008, 02:35:49 AM
Quote from: MSgt Van on October 12, 2008, 10:26:08 PM
In case you're wondering, the AF ribbons he's wearing are (from top down, left to right)
                                    Presidential Unit Citation
{Looks like two outstanding unit awards}  {National Defense ribbon}
{Marksmanship ribbon    {AF good conduct ribbon, (less than 6 years of service)}

Nothing big here... no decorations, just service or unit awards. 
It looks to me like there's two identical ribbons in the row next to the top.

The two identical awards are Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards. He's also wearing the Army Good Conduct Medal and the USAF Small Arms Expert Ribbon. I'm impressed that the collar stars are Navy (connected), rather than seperate as worn in the Army/Air force.

Just a note...The Army good conduct medal (ribbon) has three white stripes, not two. Sorry.

EDIT. The ribbon has white and yellow stripes.....The CAP lifesaving award!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Eclipse

Quote from: sandman on October 13, 2008, 02:35:19 AM
Here ya go....

The guy started his own 501(c)3 program that allows all ribbons and accoutrement. Gives new meaning to "an Army / Navy / Air Force of one"  ;D

Which is called?  We know it can't be the US Ranger Corps.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2008, 02:37:10 AM
Quote from: addo1 on October 13, 2008, 02:27:17 AMThat hangar is not one that we meet at or have been to.  None of the cadets in this photo are members of our squadron.  The Sea Cadet in the first picture is though.  I have no idea as to whom the guy he is standing with is.

Those photos are from the previous year, but appear to be from the same event.

Obviously at least one of your members has been there, just not in a CAP capacity.  The info
was taken off of the Texas Group III website.

Yes.  Like I said previously, the Sea Cadet in the picture is a member of CAP as well.

Right now, I am going to take the oppurtunity to make sure that everyone is clear that the cadet has no fault in it whatsoever. He was simply posing for a picture with a "supposedly" high-ranking person from his org.  This cadet probably has the highest standards and values of anyone on here, and I am willing to vouch for that all the way.

As to the guy in the picture, I will get more info about him as soon as possible.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

pixelwonk

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2008, 02:40:04 AM
Here ya go....

The guy started his own 501(c)3 program that allows all ribbons and accoutrement. Gives new meaning to "an Army / Navy / Air Force of one"  ;D

The US Corpse Rangers!
dispatching zombies for America

sandman

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2008, 02:40:04 AM
Here ya go....

US Civil Naval Corps?  :D
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Eclipse

Quote from: addo1 on October 13, 2008, 02:42:16 AM
  Right now, I am going to take the opportunity to make sure that everyone is clear that the cadet has no fault in it whatsoever. He was simply posing for a picture with a "supposedly" high-ranking person from his org.  This cadet probably has the highest standards and values of anyone on here, and I am willing to vouch for that all the way.

I can't imagine why anyone would think we have any other opinion of the cadet, for one thing he's found the time to dual charter and from the pics and your comments he's apparently progressing well in both programs - this is about the adult next to him.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2008, 02:46:12 AM
  Right now, I am going to take the opportunity to make sure that everyone is clear that the cadet has no fault in it whatsoever. He was simply posing for a picture with a "supposedly" high-ranking person from his org.  This cadet probably has the highest standards and values of anyone on here, and I am willing to vouch for that all the way.

I can't imagine why anyone would think we have any other opinion of the cadet, for one thing he's found the time to dual charter and from the pics and your comments he's apparently progressing well in both programs - this is about the adult next to him.

Good.  I just want that to be COMPLETELY clear.  Some people on here might have a hard time getting that idea.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

DNall

This cadet probably has the highest standards and values of anyone on here, and I am willing to vouch for that all the way.

Oh yeah? Your sayin I don't have high standards then, huh huh?  ;D Just jokin!!

Of course no one has any issue with the cadet pictured. Really no one has any major problem with people making honest or even slightly flagrant uniform mistakes.

When you intentionally make yourself out to be something you're obviously not; when you put on stuff you just bought somewhere when other people worked hard over a career to accomplish those honorable things - be it rank or awards or whatever... that's just really low.

And, I don't think it's a double outstanding unit award. I think the top middle under the presidential unit citation is a DFC. I think he probably meant the one on the right to be a silver star. That would make a lot more sense. It'd still be jacked up on this uniform, but I can see selectively wearing those awards & not a lot of lesser stuff.

addo1

Quote from: DNall on October 13, 2008, 03:09:15 AM
This cadet probably has the highest standards and values of anyone on here, and I am willing to vouch for that all the way.

Oh yeah? Your sayin I don't have high standards then, huh huh?  ;D Just jokin!!

Of course no one has any issue with the cadet pictured. Really no one has any major problem with people making honest or even slightly flagrant uniform mistakes.

When you intentionally make yourself out to be something you're obviously not; when you put on stuff you just bought somewhere when other people worked hard over a career to accomplish those honorable things - be it rank or awards or whatever... that's just really low.

And, I don't think it's a double outstanding unit award. I think the top middle under the presidential unit citation is a DFC. I think he probably meant the one on the right to be a silver star. That would make a lot more sense. It'd still be jacked up on this uniform, but I can see selectively wearing those awards & not a lot of lesser stuff.

I perfectly understand that and am willing to help y'all find who the guy is.  Once I get some more detail, I will post.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP