Main Menu

New CAP Uniform

Started by sandman, October 12, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

Flying Pig

So when someone like this comes along, please, spare me the guilt trip when people question.  Because in real life, believe me, there are very few people like this who actually exist.  I would love for nothing else more than to be able to point at this guy and say, "You know what?  That dude right there is the S$%^!   That guy right there is what Civil Air Patrol means" 

And believe me, people who are the real deal, dont mind when people ask.

As I posted before......

Stonewall

Quote from: LtCol White on October 14, 2008, 05:54:06 PM
I do believe there are some folks on here who owe an equally public apology for the comments they made here after making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

So you believe the gentleman in question rescued a military pilot from the hands of death while on a CAP mission?  Right before the bombs he was carrying blew up?

I own 25+ years worth of Annual Reports to Congress and have read all of them, and have yet to hear of these heroics.
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Can someone actually look to see if the gentleman earned a GRW. That would I guess give him a little more credibility.

My issue here is someone wearing CAP (and military) decorations causes them to reflect on us. If they then turn out to be full of crap, and using that BS image to influence others, that reflects very poorly on us. That is the kind of thing that gets CAP disrespected among people that have done things of significance. Allowing that to perpetuate rather than policing it is harmful to the organization.

If it somehow turns out that this guy is completely on the level & wearing this uniform for something other than the stated reasons, then I'm certainly happy to apologize for any discredit or insult. I think we'd all be very happy to have such a hero in our midst, and equally unhappy to have someone stealing that honor from those that deserve it.

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 14, 2008, 05:14:14 PM
What I take issue with, is if the guy is telling these wild stories, then using it to further a cause where kids are looking to him as an example.  I dont care what "good" his organization is or what it has done. (Actually I do) but if its foundation is based off of things that dont add up, thats where it needs to stop.  If kids need a hero, you don't make one up.

This is my biggest issue too. Anyone can do good work with kids. We want examples for them that are really worthy of that role. When you lie to become an example, then the rest of the package is tainted too.

Flying Pig

According to the CAP National site, he really was a CAP LTC in TX Wing.   His membership expired last year.

MIKE

Quote from: sandman on October 14, 2008, 05:44:40 PM
My understanding of this forum is to sit back and "shoot the bull" with people of like interests (CAP).

Not sure the bosses or the MCoC would agree with that... And I'd tend to agree that as a general rule this site does not exist for the purposes of shooting the bull.

Quote from: sandman on October 14, 2008, 05:44:40 PMBut I enjoy stirring the pot sometimes..... ;)

You can add pot stirring to the above.
Mike Johnston

sandman

Quote from: MIKE on October 14, 2008, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: sandman on October 14, 2008, 05:44:40 PM
My understanding of this forum is to sit back and "shoot the bull" with people of like interests (CAP).

Not sure the bosses or the MCoC would agree with that... And I'd tend to agree that as a general rule this site does not exist for the purposes of shooting the bull.

Quote from: sandman on October 14, 2008, 05:44:40 PMBut I enjoy stirring the pot sometimes..... ;)

You can add pot stirring to the above.

No problem Captain.

I'll rephrase: Part of the interest some members of this forum may have is the probability of bantering back and fourth ideas or concerns sometimes referred to as "shooting the bull" or "stirring the pot".
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

LtCol White

Certainly there is NOTHING wrong with questioning the legitimacy. I questioned it myself. However, there were people who flat out called the man a fake and a fraud with NOTHING to back up these comments. There is a respectful way to question and a disrespectful way.

From the info found on the golden hearts site, there appears to be some legitimacy of the gentleman. That said, I too still question the wearing of CAP decorations and qualifications. But, that is not really and issue for ANY of us to determine. The PROPER means is to refer it up to NHQ General Counsel and IG and let THEM determine what is appropriate based on the information that members were able to obtain from open sources and their own investigation. If it is not appropriate, then I feel QUITE sure they will take the necessary action.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SilverEagle2

QuoteFrom the info found on the golden hearts site, there appears to be some legitimacy of the gentleman.

Except for the fact that he owns the domain, he more than likely created the site, and more than likely wrote the bio.

Other than the one article posted that seems to restate everything from his own site, and the fact he is on the roles as a CAP LTC, there is nothing that I have found that legitimizes his reported info from his site.

I'll keep searching though.

I would love to know what the name plate he is wearing on the "uniform" in question says.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

sandman

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 14, 2008, 07:03:27 PM
I would love to know what the name plate he is wearing on the "uniform" in question says.

Probably says: Texas Admiral Ellison, Golden Heart
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Pylon

QuoteFrom the info found on the golden hearts site, there appears to be some legitimacy of the gentleman.

Except for the fact that he owns the domain, he more than likely created the site, and more than likely wrote the bio. Other than the one article posted that seems to restate everything from his own site, and the fact he is on the roles as a CAP LTC, there is nothing that I have found that legitimizes his reported info from his site.

You falsely believe that for anything to be true, hard verifiable facts must be easily accessible from the internet via your Google searching.  The entire sum of human knowledge, log of every governor's actions, every award of every medal, and every organization's intricate and comprehensive history as well as the complete set of by-laws, rules, and regulations governing every object in the world isn't all necessarily available on "teh intarwebs".   "If you can't find it through Google, the guy must be a fraud or the organization must be worthless" isn't backed by anything other than guardhouse lawyering.

This guy could be a fraud, or he could have been handed those stars by the governor or the lt. governor, or who knows whom -- but the method by which you're determining him certifiably a fraud (by lack of solid internet references) isn't exactly the most sound method ever used.  I'd caution against using that approach when making public statements about another person's character.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: Pylon on October 14, 2008, 07:12:04 PM

Except for the fact that he owns the domain, he more than likely created the site, and more than likely wrote the bio. Other than the one article posted that seems to restate everything from his own site, and the fact he is on the roles as a CAP LTC, there is nothing that I have found that legitimizes his reported info from his site.

You falsely believe that for anything to be true, hard verifiable facts must be easily accessible from the internet via your Google searching.  The entire sum of human knowledge, log of every governor's actions, every award of every medal, and every organization's intricate and comprehensive history as well as the complete set of by-laws, rules, and regulations governing every object in the world isn't all necessarily available on "teh intarwebs".   "If you can't find it through Google, the guy must be a fraud or the organization must be worthless" isn't backed by anything other than guardhouse lawyering.

This guy could be a fraud, or he could have been handed those stars by the governor or the lt. governor, or who knows whom -- but the method by which you're determining him certifiably a fraud (by lack of solid internet references) isn't exactly the most sound method ever used.  I'd caution against using that approach when making public statements about another person's character.

Exactly my point why all info should be passed on to NHQ and let THEM do the further investigation and make the determination of fact or fiction instead of having the CAPTALK equivalent of the Salem Witch Trials.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Larry Mangum

Having served as the  Director of Emergency Services and as Chief of Staff in  Washington State and consulted with people who have been in Washington state longer then I was, no one knows this guy nor have they ever heard of him.  Poser extraordinary.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

sandman

So, is he a Physician Assistant licensed in Texas?

The Texas Medical Board does not seem to list him.

I'll need to check other states though.....

After all, we can't rely on the internet can we.....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

LtCol White

Quote from: Who_knows? on October 14, 2008, 07:23:52 PM
Having served as the  Director of Emergency Services and as Chief of Staff in  Washington State and consulted with people who have been in Washington state longer then I was, no one knows this guy nor have they ever heard of him.  Poser extraordinary.

Again, the issue should be passed up to NHQ for further action.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG