Main Menu

SLS Uniform

Started by JayT, March 10, 2008, 08:45:19 PM

Flying Pig

Wow...if I had a dollar for every member I have seen wearing cowboy boots in blues.......

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 18, 2008, 04:55:42 PM
Wow...if I had a dollar for every member I have seen wearing cowboy boots in blues.......

Certain ones are acceptable. Brown, most definitely, is not.

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 18, 2008, 05:12:06 PM

Boots, yes.  Cowboy boots, not so much.  YMMV if you're an army cavalryman - watch out for the spurs, tho.  ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2008, 12:16:43 AM

Boots, yes.  Cowboy boots, not so much.  YMMV if you're an army cavalryman - watch out for the spurs, tho.  ;D

The Ropers and Wellingtons referenced in 39-1 fill the bill perfectly for wear with blues. They need to be plain black, and shined.

Most people refer to them as "cowboy boots". Keeping that in mind, the statement I made was accurate.

JayT

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 19, 2008, 02:04:07 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2008, 12:16:43 AM

The Ropers and Wellingtons referenced in 39-1 fill the bill perfectly for wear with blues. They need to be plain black, and shined.

Most people refer to them as "cowboy boots". Keeping that in mind, the statement I made was accurate.

Flight suit, not blues.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

The reg is vague on that.

Quote(Dress Boots) Black with rounded plain or rounded capped toe; zipper or elastic inserts optional; no design; sole will not exceed 1/2 inch in thickness and shoe heels will not exceed 1 inch in height (measured from the inside front of the heel).

I consider this a variety of dress boot, listed in Wikipedia as a roper boot.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

When I was at COS, I saw an AF MSgt wearing black dress boots with her blues.  No one said anything to her. 

When I was at the Colorado Wing Encampment, the CAP-USAF LO (a USAFR Lt Col) wore cowboy boots with his blues (I think they were Ropers).  Nobody said anything to him.

I'm not against wearing cowboy/dress boots with blues, but I will say this: I think it is wiser to do it as a field grade/general officer or SNCO than it is to do it as a company grade officer or junior NCO.

Why?  Because people won't make as big a deal about it if someone of higher rank wears them.     

Gunner C

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2008, 02:48:16 AM

Quote(Dress Boots) Black with rounded plain or rounded capped toe; zipper or elastic inserts optional; no design; sole will not exceed 1/2 inch in thickness and shoe heels will not exceed 1 inch in height (measured from the inside front of the heel).

Trust me, that's not a cowboy boot.  Some of you urban cowboys, YMMV.  But not for us native Texans - if they're not "kickers", they're not cowboy boots.  ;D

SarDragon

My point exactly. Thank you.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2008, 05:43:43 AM

Trust me, that's not a cowboy boot.  Some of you urban cowboys, YMMV.  But not for us native Texans - if they're not "kickers", they're not cowboy boots.  ;D

Absolutely, even though their brown, they're not what I was talking about.   The member was not only wearing "kickers", the member was wearing them with nice shiny steel tips which matched the slider on the bolo.  Oh, BTW, the picture was not snapped at a SLS.  It was taken at a Summer NB meeting in, of all places, San Antonio.  :o

Gunner C

Quote from: FW on March 19, 2008, 11:18:36 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2008, 05:43:43 AM

Absolutely, even though their brown, they're not what I was talking about.   The member was not only wearing "kickers", the member was wearing them with nice shiny steel tips which matched the slider on the bolo.  Oh, BTW, the picture was not snapped at a SLS.  It was taken at a Summer NB meeting in, of all places, San Antonio.  :o

"Get a rope, boys!"

Yep, that's a hanging offense.  I remember a front page in CAP News from about 9/10 years ago.  It was a picture of Brig Gen Bobick at a function (some sort of lunch/dinner) at the National Staff College.  There's two guys behind him, at least one of them was from NC Wing IIRC, wearing flannel shirts.  He was looking slightly over his shoulder at them (I had the impression that he wasn't impressed).

We need to start growing officers somehow.  We're not doing it at all.  It's a shame - we all love this organization and it's not living up to its potential.  Not even close.

GC

Hawk200

Quote from: CCSE on March 19, 2008, 03:33:11 AM
I'm not against wearing cowboy/dress boots with blues, but I will say this: I think it is wiser to do it as a field grade/general officer or SNCO than it is to do it as a company grade officer or junior NCO.

Why?  Because people won't make as big a deal about it if someone of higher rank wears them.   

At one base, I was the one that got the ball rolling on the higher ranks wearing Ropers with blues.

My commander noticed mine, along with my section chief. Within weeks, they had them. A couple of months after my commander started wearing them, he came into our office to get something, and noticed that I was still wearing Ropers with my blues. He smiled, and told me that the wing commander had seen him wearing them, and got a set of his own.

A few people wore them as more of a fad. I still wear them for the comfort.

Quote from: JThemann on March 19, 2008, 02:35:29 AM
Flight suit, not blues.

Flight suit wear is specifically mentioned. But look at Table 2-1., Line 9, Item: Dress Boots (for women, Table 2-2., Line 8, Item: Dress Boots), and tell me how Ropers do not fit the description. I think you'll find that they qualify.

Ropers comply fully, and most people won't even realize you're wearing them until they notice that you don't have any laces (which is how my commander realized they weren't low quarters). They shine real nice too.

Now the types that have been talked about here ("kickers"?) with steel tips and such don't qualify in the least, they don't meet the criteria. As an aside, I never knew that Ropers weren't considered "cowboy boots". Then again, I was never trying to "play cowboy".

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 19, 2008, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: CCSE on March 19, 2008, 03:33:11 AM
Ropers comply fully, and most people won't even realize you're wearing them until they notice that you don't have any laces (which is how my commander realized they weren't low quarters). They shine real nice too.

They do look good.  I was a cadet when I first noticed them.  An AF officer was sitting with his legs crossed and I saw that he was wearing Ropers.  It looked out of place at first, but when he stood up, I saw that they were good looking foot gear.  You're right, they do take a good shine.

QuoteNow the types that have been talked about here ("kickers"?) with steel tips and such don't qualify in the least, they don't meet the criteria. As an aside, I never knew that Ropers weren't considered "cowboy boots". Then again, I was never trying to "play cowboy".
Hard to kill scorpions in the corner without the pointy toe.  ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2008, 06:35:14 PM
Hard to kill scorpions in the corner without the pointy toe.  ;D

What's the matter? Can't find your fly swatter? >:D

SarDragon

Fly swatters just get 'em angry.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member