Main Menu

SLS Uniform

Started by JayT, March 10, 2008, 08:45:19 PM

JayT

QuoteMilitary uniforms will be inspected and corrected and proper military customs and courtesies will be strictly enforced. Class B uniform, white over gray, white over blue, or business dress is the uniform of the weenend.

That's from my acceptance letter for SLS. Ignoring the improperly named uniforms and typos..Business Dress? What? We're allowed to wear business dress for CAP activities now?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on March 10, 2008, 08:45:19 PM
QuoteMilitary uniforms will be inspected and corrected and proper military customs and courtesies will be strictly enforced. Class B uniform, white over gray, white over blue, or business dress is the uniform of the weenend.

That's from my acceptance letter for SLS. Ignoring the improperly named uniforms and typos..Business Dress? What? We're allowed to wear business dress for CAP activities now?

Good question. You'd think that for an activity, it would be required to at least wear one of the organizations uniforms.

They may be accounting for those who do not yet posess a CAP uniform, but you think someone going to SLS would have one by now. I did notice that the polo combo is not listed.

mikeylikey

PAWG allows the same thing.  I question business dress.  However, khakis and an open collar dress shirt is just as comfortable, and I would wear it if allowed.
What's up monkeys?

JoeTomasone

Most units permit senior members without a uniform to wear "appropriate civilian attire".   I already had my uniform when I took my SLS, but I *was* a SM (WOG!) who could easily have NOT had one.  It was not long after I re-joined.

JayT

Aren't you required to have a uniform to get past Level One?

That's just unacceptable to me. How long does it take to get an aviator shirt and a nameplate from Vanguard, and a pair of gray pants and belt from a civilian clothing store? Maybe a week? About the same for a polo shirt?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MIKE

Quote from: Table 1-1. Wearing the CAP UniformWear    when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local,
wing/region, or national CAP functions (see note 1).
Mike Johnston

arajca

I'd say the business dress is there for the pilot ypes who don't have any uniforms besides a flight suit.

JoeTomasone

I should have included "pending a uniform purchase".   

JC004

Quote from: JThemann on March 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM
...How long does it take to get ... from Vanguard...?...

lol.  You're kidding, right?

JayT

Quote from: JC004 on March 10, 2008, 09:45:18 PM
Quote from: JThemann on March 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM
...How long does it take to get ... from Vanguard...?...

lol.  You're kidding, right?

Took me a week to get my gray and corporate nameplates from them, and I picked up my aviators shirts from a local pilots shoppe for about fifteen bucks.

RiverAux

When you get to the SLS, please point out to the course director that there is no such thing as Class A or B uniforms in CAP.  You would think someone in a position to teach our new officers would know that. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on March 10, 2008, 10:18:29 PM
When you get to the SLS, please point out to the course director that there is no such thing as Class A or B uniforms in CAP.  You would think someone in a position to teach our new officers would know that. 

This is where the "The Assumptions we make" thread comes into play :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on March 10, 2008, 10:18:29 PM

Not as long as members who know better are too lazy to use the proper terminology. We see it all the time here on CT, and on CS, too.

There seems to be a double standard (actually many, but we'll just talk about this one) where calling a uniform Class A/B is ok part of the time but not at other times. I have brought it up many times, and as often as not, the response is that it's not a big deal. And then it comes up again, as in the quote above, and we start anew.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SoCalCAPOfficer

Business Dress is only authorized as a uniform for Legal Officers as far as I know.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

dwb

You get to listen to me for two seminars this weekend, Themann.  ;D

JayT

Quote from: dwb on March 11, 2008, 12:42:37 AM
You get to listen to me for two seminars this weekend, Themann.  ;D

Josh Lebenns and I are actually looking forward to seeing some farmilar faces.

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on March 10, 2008, 11:46:35 PMThere seems to be a double standard (actually many, but we'll just talk about this one) where calling a uniform Class A/B is ok part of the time but not at other times. I have brought it up many times, and as often as not, the response is that it's not a big deal. And then it comes up again, as in the quote above, and we start anew.

I believe this particular double standard is due to a lack of quality training.  From what I've seen, uniforms and their terminology just aren't taught to officers the same way they are taught to cadets.  What I mean is, less time and effort is spent in this area for officers.

Often, I noticed that there were too many cadets who cared too much about uniforms and too many officers who cared too little about them, and not a whole lot in-between.  On one end of the spectrum, you have a cadet who wears 4 or more shirt stays and is so obsessed with the perfection of his uniform that it's his main focus.  On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the officer who never had any military, cadet or professional experience and is comfortable with a wrinkled shirt and dirty shoes.        

Only the membership can change that.  National doesn't need to do any more than what they already have; they have given the folks everything they need to get the job done in a satisfactory manner.  This is a matter of the membership taking the ball given to them and running with it.  If someone teaching SLS teaches uniforms in a substandard manner (or doesn't even include them at all) then they've dropped the ball.

This includes teaching the proper uniform terminology.

From what I observed as a cadet, the double standards in CAP aren't that big of a deal, but that's no excuse for people to just sit by and let them remain.  If folks just sit and let them remain, then that sends a negative message to everyone and only confuses people about what's really correct.  

If you break it down, this matter involves 2 types of people: those who don't know it's wrong and are just doing what they've been taught, and those who know it's wrong but don't care and keep things the same.  Those in the latter category need to be corrected; they are holding back CAP's potential.      

RiverAux

QuoteThere seems to be a double standard (actually many, but we'll just talk about this one) where calling a uniform Class A/B is ok part of the time but not at other times. I have brought it up many times, and as often as not, the response is that it's not a big deal. And then it comes up again, as in the quote above, and we start anew.

If someone had just mentioned it here as part of conversation I wouldn't have said anything.  But, it was apparently being used as part of "official" CAP business and we should try to avoid it there, especially when you're talking about indoctrinating new officers to the program.  Get it right the first time and hopefully you won't have to worry about them perpetuating it.  

Eclipse

The unfortunate reality is that if you want to play the "required" game when it comes to uniforms, there are very few instances where they are required for senior members.

When participating in the cadet program in an authoritative role.

When driving a CAP vehicle with cadets onboard.

Anytime you are flying a CAP plane.

And of course various ES work.

I don't agree with it, don't like it, but have not been able to find regulations which require uniforms for regular meetings or PD-type classes.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on March 11, 2008, 03:13:20 AM
I don't agree with it, don't like it, but have not been able to find regulations which require uniforms for regular meetings or PD-type classes.
Absolutely disagree.  Read CAPR 39-1, Table 1-1.  It clearly illustrates that when "Conducting CAP Business" a uniform will be worn "when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions (see note 1).

Note 1 states:  "The National Commander and other commanders may specify the wear of a particular uniform type for the purpose of achieving a uniform appearance at squadron, group, wing, region, and national functions. However, all commanders must be mindful of the objective of attaining a neatly uniformed appearance at a minimum of personal expense to the individual member and will consequently refrain from imposing unreasonable uniform requirements."

That is unambiguous.   Attending meetings or "PD-type classes" are, without questions, a part of a members normal duties.   As such, a uniform is required.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."