Making the BDU the new CAP corporate field utility uniform?

Started by RiverAux, July 27, 2007, 05:12:45 PM

When the AF finishes phasing out the BDU, would you favor eliminating the BBDU and making the BDU the only CAP field uniform?

Yes
35 (33.7%)
No
69 (66.3%)

Total Members Voted: 104

SaBeR33

Quote from: heliodoc on February 01, 2009, 06:29:29 AM
I have also heard that woodland camo maybe on its way out maybe forcing CAP to buy that cruddy "military style" stuff made off contract

Not saying that's bad.  Maybe more affordable BUT  woodland camo like the OG 107 series could see their demise.  May be we ought to ask the pros at DLA, Defense Supply Agency, Natick Labs, and others truly in the know about the woodland camo.

Suuuuuure we will be able to buy the knockoffs at whatever mil surplus joints

Yep CAP loves that changing for changing sake

Folks may have to used to the ideas of the grey and polos and maybe in the future going to Tactical 5.11 types of uniforms

AND then I could be wrong.... CAP will continue to diddle with the uniforms  and continue to have so many iCL's that it will force an entirely nauseating NEW 39-1 that WILL change the very next day starting a whole new set of ICL's

The cycle will continue....  I do not forsee any change any time soon

Sad, but true. Why can't Corporate just leave well enough alone? It seems they're into the same habit all of the RM services have where each new Chief of Staff wants to leave his mark, too often by making nonsensical changes to the uniforms, frequently pissing off the servicemembers who have to wear them. The changes made by McPeak are a good example: we had the silly flight patches in lieu of the nametapes and other grade/specialty/flight insignia on the BDUs, which was soon nixed (by Fogleman), where we went back to the older way of accessorizing the BDUs; and there was the "bus driver" service coat we've had for many years now. Thankfully, Fogleman had a bit more sense.

sarmed1

QuoteIf we switched to ABU's, they would only be available from the USAF.
currently that may be true, but in time (like the time fram for CAP to start using them) they will likely be as readily available as Woodlands have become or even ACU's

I think I have already seen US CAV and Brigade quartermasters carrying the ABU. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

bosshawk

The California Highway Patrol has a blue uniform for inclement weather and rough duty wear that comes very close to our BBDU: don't know whether or not it is the same.  Perhaps we can find out who makes theirs and follow suit.

Of course, there are those who don't look on the CHP with much favor.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

billford1

I'm not presently eligible to wear the BDUs although I still have some. Cabelas sells new ones. I've worn the BBDUs for 5 years now. Whenever I go out on a SAR the Law Enforcement folks I meet usually think I'm in Law Enforcement. I wonder why at this point the AF would care about the woodland cammo BDU. I see active duty ANG soldiers who are overweight but still deployed because they are needed and appreciated. If the thinking NB and other final decision folks in CAP can focus on what it takes to make whatever uniform they adopt look as professional as possible maybe they would see that as a strategy to retain more members. I'm for less contrast and whatever looks best for the same reasons we've already talked about so much.

PHall

Quote from: billford1 on February 01, 2009, 06:53:55 PM
I'm not presently eligible to wear the BDUs although I still have some. Cabelas sells new ones. I've worn the BBDUs for 5 years now. Whenever I go out on a SAR the Law Enforcement folks I meet usually think I'm in Law Enforcement. I wonder why at this point the AF would care about the woodland cammo BDU. I see active duty ANG soldiers who are overweight but still deployed because they are needed and appreciated. If the thinking NB and other final decision folks in CAP can focus on what it takes to make whatever uniform they adopt look as professional as possible maybe they would see that as a strategy to retain more members. I'm for less contrast and whatever looks best for the same reasons we've already talked about so much.

But there is no "overweight" anymore. The Air Force did away with the height/weight tables.
The standard today is passing your PFT and your body fat index.
So yeah, you can be a bit heavy, but as long as you can gut out that 1-1/2 mile run and your love handles aren't too bad, you're golden.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JThemann on February 01, 2009, 05:14:44 AM
*shrugs* So a convience and a time/money saver for a tiny percentage of a membership is worth inconvienced and extra cash for the rest of us?

Like I said.  it is a convenience for me. HOWEVER, I do not think that we should go to the ACU.  I agree that it does not benifit the org. and I do not want it go that way.  Again, I am agreeing with you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

I'm confused -- why are we talking about the Army uniform?

RogueLeader

This comment
Quote from: Cherokeepilot on January 31, 2009, 10:15:58 PM

The costs to members to acquire a uniform needs to be thought out.  The costs of ABU/ACU's is a tad high for occasional use.  Hopefully, the BDU will be surplus in large enough quantities to last for a couple of years.

I'm sorry I got derailed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Rotorhead

Quote from: heliodoc on February 01, 2009, 06:29:29 AM
Yep CAP loves that changing for changing sake

Exactly.

I find this the most frustrating thing about the organization: it seemingly spends more time worrying about uniforms than about its core missions.

The uniform styles should be set and left alone.

And, please, we have enough variations.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

stratoflyer

We REALLY like talking about uniforms. And why not.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a uniform committee made of Real AF folks with half them former Mitchells, Earharts, Eakers, and a couple Spaatz?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SaBeR33

Quote from: stratoflyer on February 02, 2009, 05:38:56 AMWouldn't it be nice if we had a uniform committee made of Real AF folks with half them former Mitchells, Earharts, Eakers, and a couple Spaatz?

I'm a former Eaker cadet who'd volunteer for that even though I separated from the AF over five years ago. If nothing, I'd really like to not see overweight SMs wearing a uniform that I find looks WAY too close to the AF dress uniform with actual AF grade insignia. That annoys me every friggin' time I see it! Like many others who've posted before I would have no problem making the BBDUs with dark blue nametapes the standard field uniform and do away with the BDUs altogether. As long as I can get them in M-XL sizes, which is current pet peeve, since I have yet to see them in such sizes.

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 01, 2009, 10:05:33 PM
The uniform styles should be set and left alone.

Exactly!  Just like our big brother counterparts who aren't changing their uniforms on a regular basis!

Oh, except the Army.

Um, and the Navy.

Oh, yeah, the Air Force.

Ok...never mind.      ;)

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Rotorhead

Are we required to repeat their mistakes, or can we just not make them in the first place?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ