Making the BDU the new CAP corporate field utility uniform?

Started by RiverAux, July 27, 2007, 05:12:45 PM

When the AF finishes phasing out the BDU, would you favor eliminating the BBDU and making the BDU the only CAP field uniform?

Yes
35 (33.7%)
No
69 (66.3%)

Total Members Voted: 104

RiverAux

Someone proposed going back to the OD uniform, but that isn't necessary.  In a few short years the BDU will no longer be an AF uniform.  At that point CAP would have the option to make it their primary and only field uniform and eliminate the BBDU. 

The BDU would then be the new corporate uniform.  It would answer the objections of many who say the BBDU is not "military enough". 

Yes, we would no longer match the AF's current fatigue uniform and cadets wouldn't have the opportunity to get discarded ones for free (very few actually get those anyway -- most buy them in my area at least). 

But, we would be totally uniform and that uniform would be a very recognizably military one, even if slightly out of date. 

Hawk200

The BDU may get phased out, but it will not become CAP's property. It's an Army design, and I doubt they will continue it.

It may not seem like much, but once the Army no longer uses the design, there won't be any requirement to make mil-spec versions of it. Which means that quality may drop, color patterns won't necessarily be as quality controlled as they used to be, and certain prints may not be widely available.

Besides, there has already been proliferations of the digital patterns based on the Marine Corps design, not all of which match. Right now, one mil-spec camo BDU piece can be matched with another piece from a different manufacturer. That won't always be the case. For uniformity, they would have to be obtained from a single source. Which one will it be? Consider Vanguard's prices right now. Do you really want to pay their prices all the time on anything?

ddelaney103

I don't see much point.

Woodland was never a good pattern for our missions.  The reason we wore it was to "look like the AF."  Once they move on, what's the point?

While I don't see any problems with getting good quality BDU's from the commercial market, we'll be paying as much as we would for BBDU's.

JohnKachenmeister

Do you realize, once the services finally phase out the BDU, how hard they will be to get?
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

I buy OD jungle pants for the same price as you can find BDUs just about anywhere and they haven't been uniform for decades.

It doesn't matter if any other service is still wearing BDUs.  Its the fact that it would no longer be an AF uniform that throws it open to being a potential corporate uniform. 

Stonewall

OD fatigues were phased out of the military in the late 80s, but you can still buy those at any of the thousands of LE/Military stores like US Cav, BQM, etc. 

I actually like the idea and it makes total sense.  Excellent thinking RiverAux.

Between my wife and I, we could furnish an averaged size composite squadron with BDUs.  I'm serious.  I only use 3 sets of BDUs for the ANG and my wife, 2.  We probably have at least 25 sets around the house, of which, several are already sporting white on blue for CAP  :-\
Serving since 1987.

ZigZag911

I can see keeping the BDU for a long phase out period, since so many members already have a supply of them.

After that , though, what we ought to consider is transitioning everyone to the BBDU....the ACU is as unsuitable, possibly even less so, for missions as the current woodland camo.

Other than mass purchasing, what earthly purpose was there for the Air Force (other than security forces) to have camoflauge uniforms? An air base is generally a pretty fixed location; the bad guys are going to know there are personnel there servicing the aircraft, no matter how cleverly concealed they are.

RiverAux

It made sense for all the armed forces to have the same uniform if for no other reason than to save money.  Now each sevice is going back to its own version of the BDU for no apparent reason. 

It doesn't matter who designed the BDU -- the AF not the Army controls what we wear and they will be out of the BDU business anyway, probably before the AF is.  If CAP wanted to go back and wear the blue uniforms from the Civil War as our corporate uniform we wouldn't have to get the permission of the US Army to do it. 

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 28, 2007, 04:33:18 AM
I can see keeping the BDU for a long phase out period, since so many members already have a supply of them.

I would agree, mine still have a lot of wear left in them.

After that , though, what we ought to consider is transitioning everyone to the BBDU....the ACU is as unsuitable, possibly even less so, for missions as the current woodland camo.

I'm betting you've never seen ACUs in the woods. They're even less effective than woodland camos. A soldier in ACUs is a lot easier to find. And the ABU uses all the same colors, plus one additional one. They're a lot more noticeable. A multi-environment camouflage that's even 75% effective in all the target environments is a dream.

QuoteOther than mass purchasing, what earthly purpose was there for the Air Force (other than security forces) to have camouflage uniforms? An air base is generally a pretty fixed location; the bad guys are going to know there are personnel there servicing the aircraft, no matter how cleverly concealed they are.

Mass purchasing was it. And Security Police wouldn't need it any more than any other base personnel. When it comes to need for camo, there's jobs like SERE Instructor, PJ's, Combat Controllers, and maybe a few others that truly have a use for it. Cops in the AF are no more special because of their LE duties. They are on the same base that everyone else is.

Nowadays, BDU's are rare on an Army post. You might only see a handful of people wearing them. Eustiss wasn't getting anymore, Jackson doesn't even have them now. Anyone new gets ACU, and most people are probably being unofficially "encouraged" to buy ACU's now. The only woodlands typically being worn in my Guard unit are ABDU's, because the Nomex is required to fly. Even those will start disappearing shortly, as the A2CU's are now arriving.

jason.pennington

It seems to me that many people in the USAF do not want us.  It also seems to me that we are becoming a separate entity, as we are as a corporation.  Why continue to wear the BDU?  Here in CAWG we are supposed to wear the blue bdu pants with an orange shirt for SAR.  When trying to outfit a group of cadets that are going to learn SAR, we must spend money on 2 different uniforms. Or wear silly orange vests!  As in another post, one uniform should suffice and it should be th blue BDU.  Everyone can wear that uniform, regardless of body proportions.  I say the following uniforms should be used:

Corporate with Blue.  No grey pants.
AF Blues - Cadets.
Blue BDU - Senior sand cadets.
CAP flightsuit for flying.

Nothing else.  Well, if your state's Office of ES requires it, then an orange shirt.

RogueLeader

Quote from: jason.pennington on July 29, 2007, 12:33:59 AM
It seems to me that many people in the USAF do not want us.

You found this how? Cite please.
Quote from: jason.pennington on July 29, 2007, 12:33:59 AM

AF Blues - Cadets.
Blue BDU - Senior sand cadets.
CAP flightsuit for flying.

AF Blues - Cadets.= Good

Blue BDU - Senior sand cadets.= Never
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jason.pennington

My statement about the USAF only comes from all the stuff I have read here.  Of course most of it has to do with certain individuals, but, and I have not looked into all of it, now we can't have USAF Aux on our planes (?), our command patch has removed USAF Aux...(?).  What is going on?

RiverAux

Those changes were made at the choice of CAP.  We removed the USAF Aux so that we could partake in missions for other agencies that the AF didn't want to be associated with. 

ZigZag911

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 28, 2007, 05:15:02 PM
I'm betting you've never seen ACUs in the woods. They're even less effective than woodland camos. 
Guilty as charged, I was guessing!

. And Security Police wouldn't need it any more than any other base personnel. When  Cops in the AF are no more special because of their LE duties. They are on the same base that everyone else is.

I was talking about the SF who primarily have responsibility for base defense and other combat missions, not the folks guarding gates and passing out parking tickets.

Snake Doctor

I was talking about the SF who primarily have responsibility for base defense and other combat missions, not the folks guarding gates and passing out parking tickets.
[/quote]

SF and LE career fields were combined years ago.  They're all pretty much the same in the duties they perform.   
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jb512

Keep the practice of going with whatever uniform is most available as surplus for the time.  Once no one wears the BDU for a time, then those will fade away as the OD's did and the AF/ACU, whatever, will be in surplus by then. 

It would be nice if someone would update the namestrips though, since the smurf blue/white hasn't been worn by anyone in many, many years.

alamrcn

After having been through the transition out of the Olive Drab after US forces went to Woodland BDUs, I can tell you this...

Once the USAF had completed their transition to the ACU, presentable condition BDUs will become quite difficult to obtain - especially in odd or extreme sizes right off. We didn't stay in jungle fatigues for very long because Nat HQ extremely underestimated the quantities that were actually available.

If non-paramilitary organizations like police and security forces are already wearing ABUs in place of their woodlands, WHAT'S OUR PROBLEM in making a firm commitment now to the ACUs as they come into service? I think even the various citizen militias around the country have already switched. Dunno about ROTC/JROTC, mil schools, and the academies... but if they haven't already, they will very soon.

As long as we don't try to "specialize" our uniforms, like adding little tri-prop to the pajamas, ala Marine Corps.

-Ace

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Hawk200

I see a little confusion. For reference:

ACU= Army Combat Uniform
ABU=Airman Battle Uniform

I doubt that National or the Air Force would sign off on Army uniforms.

It would be easier if they did. Just get tapes on Velcro, and I've got five uniforms to work with. Not sure how we would adopt patches, nothing gets sewn on the ACU. I guess badges could get pinned on.

Dragoon

Cadets will probably always be in the current USAF suit, both for the recruiting value AND because we'll get a lot of free ones.

Putting everyone in BDUs would be fine for a while.  The question is, how long?  For example, how easy is it to buy pick suit fatigues these days?  Anyone know?

Pylon

The "BBDU" (aka: CAP Distinctive Field Uniform) as CAP uses it is not in major use by any of the Armed Forces, correct?  The Coast Guard and Navy have similar uniforms, but not the same one's we're buying, correct?

So how are we able to get sufficient supply for those who need them?   Guess somebody manufactures them nonetheless.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP