Orange PAWG cap: R.I.P.

Started by Panache, September 15, 2014, 07:12:14 AM

Panache

As per the PAWG Wing CC at the this weekend's cadet conference, PAWG members are to start wearing the standard BDU / BBDU cap effectively immediately, in accordance with CAPM 39-1, with the orange cap to be reserved for Wing-specific schools and activities.

Phase-out date for the orange cap is 31 Dec 2014.

This does not effect the HMRS uniform kit.

dwb

It's about time. It's called a "uniform" for a reason. 8)

lordmonar

Quote from: dwb on September 15, 2014, 09:31:30 AM
It's about time. It's called a "uniform" for a reason. 8)
When everyone wears it....it is uniform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

capmaj

But I'll bet that, even though Hawk Mountain isn't just  a "Wing specific school or activity" but is still located in Pa, the orange will still be worn there!  (Just a pet peeve of mine!)

jeders

Quote from: capmaj on September 15, 2014, 02:04:16 PM
But I'll bet that, even though Hawk Mountain isn't just  a "Wing specific school or activity" but is still located in Pa, the orange will still be worn there!  (Just a pet peeve of mine!)

Quote from: Panache on September 15, 2014, 07:12:14 AM
This does not effect the HMRS uniform kit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

a2capt

Whoever stocks BDU caps is going to wonder whats going on..

A.Member

Quote from: a2capt on September 15, 2014, 05:42:57 PM
Whoever stocks BDU caps is going to wonder whats going on..
So is the guy that that stocks orange trucker hats... His sales forecast just took a serious hit...

:clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

NIN

Outside of PA Wing the Orange Hat Devotees will not be dissuaded
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Good, I guess?

No one cares, other then for humorous effect, what members in PAWG wear in PAWG, the
only thing they care about is when PAWG exports their plumage to other wings through HMRS.

39-1 still allows for wing and region CCs to designate an official ball cap, so there was no
violation there, and HMRS is still "special", so...

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

It's a symbolic thing. Orange hats in PAWG are ubiquitous. It's actually a pretty big deal for the Wing CC to change it. It's a big culture shift for the Wing.

lordmonar

When they change their orange T-shirts....which is a clear violation of 39-1 then I will accept that there is a real culture shift.

Of all the HMRS bling and plumage......the orange hat at least has some practical application as an ES uniform.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on September 15, 2014, 09:36:02 PM
It's a symbolic thing. Orange hats in PAWG are ubiquitous. It's actually a pretty big deal for the Wing CC to change it. It's a big culture shift for the Wing.

The fact that a hat requires a "culture shift" speaks volumes in and of itself.

I also agree with Lord, the orange hat is the only thing of actual usefulness in the PAWG ensemble.
It's the one thing that would make sense to actually adopt organization-wide (without the numbers).

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

... would it be part of an approved supplement, that they either didn't feel like dealing with again, or got knocked back to them?

Similarly, wonder about the CAWG GT Uniform, which was a supplement. I didn't see any supplements for 39-1 listed last I checked...

ZigZag911

About time!

Now, if they just rein in HMRS on the bling...

Panache

Quote from: a2capt on September 16, 2014, 02:16:11 AM
... would it be part of an approved supplement, that they either didn't feel like dealing with again, or got knocked back to them?

Apparently a new supplement is pending (with instructions on the orange hats for "Wing-specific activities and training" as well as HMRS stuff, but re-affirming that for general wear, the orange hats are out.)

M. Allen Applebaum

Take a look at 39-1 it is a long reg. The reg has no problem with the orange hat, blue berets or BDU covers. All are authorized by the reg.

abdsp51

Quote from: M. Allen Applebaum on September 16, 2014, 08:22:21 AM
Take a look at 39-1 it is a long reg. The reg has no problem with the orange hat, blue berets or BDU covers. All are authorized by the reg.

Blue berets and the orange cap under 39-1 are authorized upon completion of their repsective activities.  Commanders still have the discretion to establish uniform policies for their units.  If a Sq CC doesn't want the Blue Beret worn or and Orange cap worn in his/her AO they can nix it.

The PA WG CC is exercising their discretion in this matter. 

FW

^ Exactly.  There is nothing stopping the next CC from changing the policy again.  It's been done before, and can be done again.  The "R.I.P." statement is a little premature. 
BTDT... ::)