Main Menu

Aircrew Wings

Started by Billy009, July 02, 2014, 07:57:42 PM

PHall

Why not call them what they call themselves, Flight Attendant.

AlphaSigOU

Last time I saw the stewardess - ahem - flight attendant badge awarded was back in the late 1970s WIWAC.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 10, 2014, 05:04:44 PM
Last time I saw the stewardess - ahem - flight attendant badge awarded was back in the late 1970s WIWAC.

Last time I actually saw somebody wearing one was 1970. She replaced it with pilot wings.

The "Stewardess Badge" was rare and not easy to earn. They could only be awarded to female cadets who graduated from the Special Activity that was set up with....I think it was Eastern Airlines. Meanwhile, women who were actually employed as "Stewardesses" with various carriers were not eligible for the badge.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

BillB

There were three Stewardess Schools. One was Eastern Airlines, one was Delta Airlines and I forget the third, but it was out west somewhere. The Swewardess School wings were made only in full size, no miniature  wings.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: THRAWN on July 08, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
Quote from: Panache on July 08, 2014, 04:00:35 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on July 07, 2014, 11:04:50 PM
For anyone that is curious what the full-size metal wings look like.  Basically, they are observer wings without an O in cast.

Still wished they could have worked the CAP tri-prop in there somewhere.

You know, make it distinctive at low light and at-a-distance.   :P

Still wish they would have used the MO slick wings as the basic aircrew, senior as MO, and master as AOBD...but alas, we're stuck with this...

Your idea is in conflict with other CAP wings and USAF wings, as you have each level awarded for different ratings. The star means "same rating as no star, but with more experience." The star with wreath means "same rating as the basic wing, but with a lot more experience."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

bioluminous

Just received my AC wings from Vanguard.  So, if anyone's interested in what they actually look like, here they are. (Oops, didn't notice someone uploaded pic up there already...)

Walkman

I ordered mine today. Just a heads up, they don't have the embroidered wings for BDUs yet. The person I spoke with thought about 2-3 weeks before they are ready, but keep in mind that was a guestimate.

Eclipse

So, nice and shiny, but what's the hurry?

There's no way to authorize their wear, nor is anyone authorized to wear them, nor any criteria for their wear.
It's fairly safe to assume MS as a minimum, but no guarantee.

35-6 hasn't been updated for 12 years, is there one in draft?

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

From the Knowledge Base today:
Air Crew Insignia
Published 06/27/2014 06:04 AM   |    Updated 07/09/2014 02:43 PM   |    Answer ID: 2649
In the new CAPM 39-1 it shows a "Air Crew Insignia" in Attachment 7, pg 139. What are the qualifications to earn/wear this insignia?
Below is the criteria for the Aviation badge.  See CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual 26 June 2014, page 139 to see the badge.
Once the following criteria has been met, a CAPF 2a must also be completed to make you eligible to wear the badge once all of the requirements as listed below are complete.  The approval authority process requires the Aircrew Badge be submitted via CAPF 2a through the chain of command up to the Wing Commander for approval.
The Air crew badge is an aeronautical rating in three levels and may be earned by CAP Cadet and senior members who are qualified to perform specialized airborne tasks such as:

CAP Aircrew Rating
Mission Scanner (MS)
Aerial Digital Imaging System Operator (ADIS)
Airborne Photographer (AP)
ARCHER Operator (ARCHOPR)
ARCHER Trac Technician (ARCHTRK)
Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable Operator (GIIEP)
Surrogate Unmanned Aerial System Green Flag Sensor Operator (GFSO)
Highbird Radio Operator (HRO)

CAP Senior Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star)
1) Meet CAP aircrew rating requirements.
2) Have been an active flying CAP mission scanner for 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 100 hours certified flying time as CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Qualified as an ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO

CAP Master Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star and wreath)
1) Meet requirements for CAP senior aircrew rating.
2) Have been an active CAP mission scanner for 5 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 200 hours certified flying time as a CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Have a minimum of 20 sorties as a CAP ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO on actual missions.

lordmonar

Ah....but as Eclipse is sure to tell your KB is not an authoritative source for any sort of information.  I might as well not exist.

:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Lord of the North

Yes I know that Knowledge base is informational only.  The question of update along with the recent change to the criteria to the Find ribbon in R60-3 has been sent to NHQ.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2014, 01:22:18 AM
Ah....but as Eclipse is sure to tell your KB is not an authoritative source for any sort of information.  I might as well not exist.

It's not, but we all knew that.  It does, however, illustrate nicely why "SME"s should not be interrupting
ahead of the regs when answering KB inquiries.

The above doesn't quote any relevent regulation about award criteria, because it can't. Nor does it even adhere to the current process for awarding
aeronautical and ES badges, which is that they are done in eServices.

I checked earlier, and the A/C badge is not one of the choices in OPS Quals.

The correct answer, of course, starts with "Pending an update to 35-6..."

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Wow they really went out of their way in the "lets put some originality into these" category 

Eclipse

Well, they have both an "A" and a "C", so there's that...

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Wheeew... .I give kudos to the creative design team who was assembled to make this happen.  The countless hours must have been mind numbing.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 15, 2014, 04:31:47 AM
Wheeew... .I give kudos to the creative design team who was assembled to make this happen.  The countless hours must have been mind numbing.

#1: "How can we signify that the wearer is certified to be air crew."
#2: "How about in the disc... we put the letters 'A' and 'C'?"
#1: "It's just crazy enough to work!"

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on July 15, 2014, 06:04:38 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on July 15, 2014, 04:31:47 AM

#1: "How can we signify that the wearer is certified to be air crew."
#2: "How about in the disc... we put the letters 'A' and 'C'?"
#1: "It's just crazy enough to work!"
I blame the Navy.   :D

Flying Pig

Nothing would be cooler than to have aircrew wings and an NRA marksmanship badge.    So what exactly qualifies someone as "aircrew"? That wasn't a position that existed when I was active.  So are these "Scanner Wings"?

lordmonar