Blue Field Uniform

Started by Mela_007, July 12, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Mela_007

I am a new CAP member looking for uniforms. I have read 39-1 and the 2012 change letter. I fall outside the weight limit right now, so I am working on getting the proper uniforms to start with. The golf shirt uniform and the blue field uniform.

I am having trouble finding the gray pants for the golf shirt uniform. Also Vanguard only carries the field uniform in Winter Weight.  Summertime in south MS is not where I need to be wearing a winter weight uniform for ground team activities.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get ladies gray slacks or a summer weight blue field uniform?
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Eclipse

The gray pants can be purchased from any commercial source - "medium gray" is a pretty vague definition. 
Any clothing store with gray dress pants should have something usable.

BDU.com for the blue field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

There are plenty of retails stores and online sites, including Amazon, that carry women's grey slacks. The biggest challenge is finding the "proper" color, as medium grey means different things to different manufacturers/brands. I bought my men's slacks at Sears.

While not a requirement, I recommend using the grey epaulet slides as an example of grey color when looking for slacks. As for styles, CAPM 39-1 mentions authorized styles and their proper used with the blue Golf shirt or white Aviator shirt.

MIKE

http://bdu.com/propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-bdu-coats/lapd-navy
http://bdu.com/propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-bdu-pants-zip-fly/lapd-navy

Not sure on the color, but the dark navy ones I have seen worn as Field Uniforms were too dark.

Also, you should pick up an Aviator shirt and insignia... The golf shirt does not meet the minimum uniform requirements.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

You want "dark navy" - LAPD Navy is nearly black.

Although with that said, the pics don't seem to match the actual colors (seems to show LAPD navy as lighter).

Trying to find an old order...

Nertz...the email receipts just say "navy".  I had purchased poly/twill, and I don't think in those there was a blue choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

If it is LAPD SWAT navy it might be ok.  The stuff I have that is dark or midnight navy is too dark though.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

I've not been able to find my sizes on bdu.com in the same material/color for pants/blouse in years.

GroundHawg

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 12, 2013, 08:01:49 PM
I've not been able to find my sizes on bdu.com in the same material/color for pants/blouse in years.

Me too. I have taken brand new BBDUs and then put them in a bucket of dye just to get the colors to roughly match up.
The only set I have that matched up awesome was from lapolicegear, and when they arrived, they had slant pockets :( Would have looked awesome ;) but had to go back.

jimmydeanno

RE: Grey Pants

I have a few pairs of these that I wear with the aviator.

Flat Front:  http://www.haggar.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994159

Pleated Front: http://www.haggar.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994158

They're a bit darker than the epaulet sleeves, but not so much that it looks weird.  They are comfortable, breathable, and require little to no maintenance in terms of ironing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Somewhere on the Knowledgebase is a small table with the cell fills in light, medium, and dark grey. The medium is a bit darker than the grade slides. I used their medium definition when I bough my new trousers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I highly recommend the Propper Gray tac pants from BDU.com for light work with a polo.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 13, 2013, 02:12:25 PM
I highly recommend the Propper Gray tac pants from BDU.com for light work with a polo.

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Our Wing Commander is on the Uniform committee and the color you should order is "Charcoal" gray in the Propper.  As I understand it this will be the new "spec"....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on July 13, 2013, 09:14:30 PM

Our Wing Commander is on the Uniform committee and the color you should order is "Charcoal" gray in the Propper.  As I understand it this will be the new "spec"....

I would say that until something official comes out, you purchase clothing based on the current regs.  Not saying you're wrong, but
"Charcoal" is very dark and well off the current expectation.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2013, 09:25:35 PM

I would say that until something official comes out, you purchase clothing based on the current regs.  Not saying you're wrong, but
"Charcoal" is very dark and well off the current expectation.
I would have to say "show me that in writing".......I have never seen anywhere where they define their expectations for what gray is for the corporate uniforms.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Too bad, if they were going to change it they should have changed to Khaki.

That said, when I wear slacks, they are closer to charcoal.

Mela_007

Wow, thanks for all of the replies!  Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, I'm on vacation and don't always get a signal. Not much signal in some of these parts of Alaska. I was excited to see CAP on the side of a building at a small air field in Anchorage!

Gray pants of any kind are tough to find right now. I need ladies and unfortunately my size is also a limiting factor (women's). I ordered a pair from Dickies.com but they don't fit right and are more of the darker charcoal color too. I might check Haggar.com, thanks for that idea. I had a nice pair of grey Haggar slacks years ago.

I do plan to get the aviator shirt and insignia fairly soon too as I understand its the minimum uniform recommended. However, the seniors at my squadron are primarily wearing the golf shirt combo right now.

Bummer you all are not having much luck getting your matching blue BDUs even from bdu.com!  What about getting some from an Army/Navy store...if I find ones that fit?  We've got Navy and Coast Guard in my home area, as well as Air Force. If I find blue BDUs in one of those stores that match the pocket and style description in 39-1, would that work?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
Mela

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 15, 2013, 11:50:56 PMIf I find blue BDUs in one of those stores that match the pocket and style description in 39-1, would that work?

Yes - don't get too hung up on the color - I'll take a member in a neat, pressed set of BBDUs andy day over someone
who bought the "correct" color, cares for them wrong, and is essentially wearing a light blue uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

Thanks Eclipse!  My thoughts exactly.