Main Menu

DI

Started by krnlpanick, May 16, 2012, 09:14:04 PM

krnlpanick

Hey everyone - it's me again. Here's another question for ya. The squadron commander has asked if I would like to take the role of Drill Instructor and I accepted. I will be instructing both Cadets and Sr. Members on proper drill (which means I need to get myself practiced up - haven't drilled since JROTC in High School!)

Anyways, the question is -- is the AF Military Training Instructor Cap authorized for wear in Civil Air Patrol? Or is there some other insignia in CAP that I am missing for this role?

I am also training a team for CyberPatriot next year, so watch out! :)
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

We don't have DIs, and we certainly don't wear their hats. There is no special insignia.

krnlpanick

Thanks - that's what i needed to know. Just wasn't sure if there was official stuff that needed to be done or if it was purely an unofficial let's just get our squadron up to snuff on drill thing.

Appreciated

I do like the hat tho, too bad :)

Eclipse

Remember that CAP is not BMT.

"That Others May Zoom"

krnlpanick

RogueLeader

Also note that SM's are not required to do drill.  Not saying that its a bad idea, just not required by regs.  Provided that any SM does drill, be aware of how you correct them. If we can't go fmj, you can't either.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

If you haven't drilled since high school someone else should be a lead instructor.

krnlpanick

We are thin on SMs right now. While there are a couple SMs that probably are more well prepared, I remember all the basics and have committed to giving myself a refresher prior to any instruction. After all, if I cannot correctly perform how can I expect the Cadets and SMs to do so. We are aware that SMs are not *required* to drill, but as you say it isn't a bad idea and we feel it will create greater cohesiveness within the squadron. Besides it hasn't been *that many* years since I drilled in H.S. - more than I would like to admit, but I am still a young man.

And I don't think there are any worries about going all FMJ - this is CAP not The Core :)

abdsp51

Quote from: krnlpanick on May 16, 2012, 09:55:38 PM
Besides it hasn't been *that many* years since I drilled in H.S. - more than I would like to admit, but I am still a young man.

Too broad a span and IIRC you have a teen and married so it's been many years.

coudano

There is also no such position as 'drill instructor' in CAP.
There is 'leadership officer' which oversees things such as drill, and uniforms (etc)

However really, to implement the cadet program properly, the people teaching drill in your squadron (to your cadet airmen) _REALLY_ should be your cadet NCO's.  Now, of course they (the cadet NCO's) need to be taught how to teach drill, and honestly they need their efforts to be QC'd by an experienced and qualified mentor.  That is quite a long way from wearing the smoky bear hat and smoking cadets on the sidewalk outside your meeting location.

This is _very_ different from how JROTC drill teams run (from what i've seen of them), where i've seen an actual USAF NCO commanding the formation of JRTOC troops.  CAP doesn't "do that".

Senior members really do need to know how to stand at attention, render a proper salute, and report front and center at a formation or ceremony, take, shake, and salute.  And that's about it.  Anything more than that is completely optional at the discretion of each senior member (and the _vast_ majority don't want to do that much, let alone more).

capmaj

And FYI.....................  It's not "The Core". It's the Corp.

As in United States Marine Corps.

Just thought you should know. 

spacecommand

Remember, required as part of cadet achievements (drill tests) as they promote to higher grade, is not only the cadet's ability follow drill orders, but their ability to drill other cadets.

Ideally, you'd want to have experienced cadets training the new cadets, and as those new cadets advance in grade and position, they become instructors themselves teaching newer cadets after them.

bosshawk

I was never a Marine, but I think(gently)that the correct wording is "The Corps."  Correct pronounciation is "the core".
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

krnlpanick

Doh! Apologies to any Marines - I obviously was not one, I was only speaking to the FMJ reference.

Anyhow, yes - the cadet NCOs will be (and currently do) drilling the cadets. The details of what I will be doing precisely are kind of open ended at this time. I know that I want to spend a lot of time working with our Color Guard to get them tightened up and work with them on new things to help create opportunities for them. I also want to make sure that we set some realistic goals as a squadron to clean up and get the basics down pat. Opportunities to do things like march in a parade are huge recruiting opportunities for us and I think it is important that the cadets be tight for those types of events (which we have on the schedule)

The main question was if there was some sort of official position and insignia for that position - seeing as how there is not that question has most definitely been answered. I personally think that even though there is no "requirement" for Senior Members to drill that they should be in proper positions during opening ceremonies, understand the basics of drill, as well as what was already mentioned (knowing how/when to salute, etc). We are mentors for the cadets in our squadron and it is unfair to expect them to take drill and ceremonies seriously if we do not. That is however, just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Yes - I have already noted several big differences between JROTC drill and CAP drill. I dont expect our cadets to be perfect at drill, but I think it is important for the squadron to understand and practice drill and ceremonies, including the Sr Members.

abdsp51

I am going to take a stab and say you weren't AFJROTC.  The AF D&C manual is your friend and guide and there are links to it at capmembers.com as well as videos on how to execute the basic moves as well as drill of a flight.  If you were a different branch you will need to fight the urge to teach that aspect of D&C.  Since SMs are not required to drill outside of the bare basics I would not expect much from them in the process unless they are CP officers. 

Motivation and enthusiasm is good especially if it is positive bit do not be over bearing with it or you will turn people off and away. 

krnlpanick

As a matter of fact it was AFJROTC :) Our Drill Sgt was insane...

I have the AF manual as well as the stuff from the capmembers site in my big black book - my neighbors looked at me like I was crazy while I was running myself through the basics earlier today in my gym shorts and a t-shirt with my dress shoes on (for snap). I suppose anyone looks a little strange when they are giving themselves drill commands though.

SarDragon

We are thin on SMs right now. While there are a couple SMs that probably are more well prepared, I remember all the basics and have committed to giving myself a refresher prior to any instruction. After all, if I cannot correctly perform how can I expect the Cadets and SMs to do so. We are aware that SMs are not *required* to drill, but as you say it isn't a bad idea and we feel it will create greater cohesiveness within the squadron. Besides it hasn't been *that many* years since I drilled in H.S. - more than I would like to admit, but I am still a young man.

And I don't think there are any worries about going all FMJ - this is CAP not The Core :)

If you're referring to Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, that would be The Corps.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2012, 06:08:47 AM

If you're referring to Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, that would be The Corps.

I thought it was Uncle Sam's Misbegotten Children?  I have an uncle with Marine combat service in Korea and I think that's what he used to say.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bosshawk

either way seems to work.  I always heard that Marines were like Texas Aggies: you can tell them, but you can't tell them much.

Seriously, if I get into a fight, I'll want Marines on my side.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bflynn

Quote from: krnlpanick on May 17, 2012, 05:49:29 AM
As a matter of fact it was AFJROTC :) Our Drill Sgt was insane...

I have the AF manual as well as the stuff from the capmembers site in my big black book - my neighbors looked at me like I was crazy while I was running myself through the basics earlier today in my gym shorts and a t-shirt with my dress shoes on (for snap). I suppose anyone looks a little strange when they are giving themselves drill commands though.

An interesting extension of what you're doing - what is the purpose of drilling?  What purpose does it serve and what do others get out of it?

Remember WIIFM (What's in it for me).  You'll never convince a fish that fishing is a great idea by telling them how delicious dinner will be.  What do others get out of drilling and what if they don't?