No Cadet Uniform To Be Funded By CAP For First Year Cadets?

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 12, 2011, 12:03:18 AM

Eclipse

The job one is raise the expectation for anyone who wants to carry an "active" ID card in their wallet.

Job two is enforce the expectations.

Job three is stop handing out our "treats" before people work to earn them.

As an example, I was somewhat taken aback the other day to realize that cadets do not have to be even Curry for O-Rides, which seems
like a fair risk in the right circumstances.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on May 18, 2011, 08:55:25 PM
The job one is raise the expectation for anyone who wants to carry an "active" ID card in their wallet.

As an example, I was somewhat taken aback the other day to realize that cadets do not have to be even Curry for O-Rides, which seems

Get this...in a neighboring area I am told the Boy Scout Officials encouraged scouts to join CAP for a year for the purpose of getting an aviation merit badge.  They served their year, as great cadets, and then left.

Insidious?  Not really, they sign on for one year, serve well in both and leave when their "tour" ends.  They get to "do a good turn" for CAP and meet their obligations many time making it to NCO grades.

Now I offer the option of Cadet/Scouts to work on that to better them.

What do we do about people who are in it for the short term?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 19, 2011, 02:49:42 AM

Nothing, and there is nothing we can or should do, except work and enforce our program and policies.
A plethora of active, involved cadets, cycling in for a year or so will offer plenty for everyone involved, but if we allow cadets to
join, get a uniform, drain the system for whatever they can, and then leave without enforcing progression and participation
on their part, we've failed on a number of levels.

Odds are a fully-functional unit will not be left easily by any cadet fully participating.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Get this...in a neighboring area I am told the Boy Scout Officials encouraged scouts to join CAP for a year for the purpose of getting an aviation merit badge.  They served their year, as great cadets, and then left.

Insidious?  Not really, they sign on for one year, serve well in both and leave when their "tour" ends.  They get to "do a good turn" for CAP and meet their obligations many time making it to NCO grades.

wait, they join for "one year" and then leave?

WOW, what a waste of time and money and energy.... i would never allow that in a unit i command.... what a joke, they out right tell you they will only be around for the year?

If they told me that, i would say, "thank you for coming, have a nice day" and walk them to the door....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Major Carrales

Quote from: NCRblues on May 19, 2011, 03:16:02 AM

WOW, what a waste of time and money and energy.... i would never allow that in a unit i command.... what a joke, they out right tell you they will only be around for the year?

If they told me that, i would say, "thank you for coming, have a nice day" and walk them to the door....

This did not happen to me, I was recalled this by a person in the Boy Scouts. 

If it's a lie, it is an elaborate one.

However, I am watching Mythbusters, so lets see if it stands up knowing that 1) a Scout is tustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent and 2) a cadet pledges to serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state, and nation.

There is no conflict if the cadet lives up to the oath for the time of membership.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 19, 2011, 03:22:07 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on May 19, 2011, 03:16:02 AM

This did not happen to me, I was recalled this by a person in the Boy Scouts. 

If it's a lie, it is an elaborate one.

However, I am watching Mythbusters, so lets see if it stands up knowing that 1) a Scout is tustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent and 2) a cadet pledges to serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state, and nation.

There is no conflict if the cadet lives up to the oath for the time of membership.

And i agree with you on that, the cadets themselves wont be bad. I have a problem with them openly saying they will only be around for one year. No matter what you do with that cadet, no matter what ES quals he gets, or grade he gets to.... it is all for nothing... wont even make Mitchell...

I feel that its just a waste of resources and money if they come in and openly say "hey, I'm only ganna be here a year to fulfill obligations to another organization"....

Major Carrales

Quote from: NCRblues on May 19, 2011, 03:27:24 AM

I feel that its just a waste of resources and money if they come in and openly say "hey, I'm only ganna be here a year to fulfill obligations to another organization"....

Isn't that what we do with Community Service? (yikes...I actually wrote that!!!)  The fellow that serves one enlistment in the Military might have similar issues.  Are they in it as a start of a political career?  to gain some skill or training?

All that aside, if there goal was that Badge, 31 Dollars and lots of service to Community State and Nation...hummmm?

I wonder, if this does really occur, how many decide to stay?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 19, 2011, 03:30:49 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on May 19, 2011, 03:27:24 AM

Isn't that what we do with Community Service? (yikes...I actually wrote that!!!)  The fellow that serves one enlistment in the Military might have similar issues.  Are they in it as a start of a political career?  to gain some skill or training?

All that aside, if there goal was that Badge, 31 Dollars and lots of service to Community State and Nation...hummmm?

I wonder, if this does really occur, how many decide to stay?

I don't think you can compare a one time military contractor with a one year cadet.... for someone who joins the military for one contract, they go in for 4 years... even with basic and "A" school (or tech school for us AF guys) they get 3 solid years of work out of you, not to mention more than likely one deployment....

You cant guarantee that the cadet will do anything, other than drain our coffers... maybe take O-rides, get a uniform, attend some meetings.... I know huge groups that do very little "service" to the nation ( i don't agree with it, but that's for another thread)

It COULD work out... just saying, i don't think it will....

coolkites

don't hurt me for not reading all three pages before posting   ::)

When I wanted to join I had to attend three meetings before paperwork was even discussed. My squadron has a good sized supply room that is full of blues and BDU uniforms. When I joined I simply tried on a few sizes of each until I got it right. I basically got a paper bag full of uniforms and their respective accessories (hat, belt, etc...) Before I left though I had to take a checklist sheet that had every uniform item listed and initial next to each item I received and then sign a the bottom. Granted I have not quit yet (certainly thought about it) but I suspect that if I had quit within the first year or two they would have come after me wanting the items. Now that I've been in for almost 4 years I doubt they would be looking to collect though I still plan on turning my uniform stuff back in when I leave. Not like I'm going to need a spare pair of blues for college. This system seems to work really well for our squadron though I can't say if other squadrons have the same resources to run such a system.

FW

^ Cadet, you posted very well.  If the program is modified, what you have experienced will probably be the norm for new cadets.  We will survive just fine either way.