Terribly poor quality of Vanguard CAP uniform items - anyone noticed?

Started by KDavis, April 05, 2011, 10:36:49 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: caphistorian on May 26, 2011, 10:29:02 AM
I recently received challenge coins from Vanguard that I ordered about a month ago. These are the coins that I designed and ordered for the 70th Anniversary and the ones shown in the 70th Anniversary thread as a background. I was honestly skeptical about ordering the coins due to some of the negative feedback I have read. I ordered both bronze and silver toned coins. I ordered a limited amount of the silver.

When I received the coins I was extremely happy and satisfied. The quality of the coins and the details on the coin are great. Charles Bostwick and his team at Vanguard did an excellent job as far as I am concerned. Thanks to Charles and the Vanguard Team!!
I think waiting one month to get any item unless specifically stated on the website is POOR SERVICE no matter how you look at it.  Also IF they charged your credit card and it took a month, it is likely you were billed BEFORE the merchandise was shipped.  All of the mail order retailers I deal with only charge the credit card when the items are shipped (which is normally the same day of order or the next day).
RM

HGjunkie

I just ordered a bunch of SNCO insignia for my next couple of promotions, and I am completely satisfied with the manufacturing of the insignia. The stripes are nice and thick, and the device was polished to the maximum. It's hella expensive though.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Back when the C/SNCO chevrons first came out... even before Vanguard... the pins had a tendency to break off.  Broke one WIWAC.
Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

Quote from: MIKE on May 27, 2011, 12:18:12 AM
Back when the C/SNCO chevrons first came out... even before Vanguard... the pins had a tendency to break off.  Broke one WIWAC.

I noticed when putting them on my blues the other day that the pins bent really easily. Hmmm.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

James Shaw

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 26, 2011, 09:12:23 PM
I think waiting one month to get any item unless specifically stated on the website is POOR SERVICE no matter how you look at it.  Also IF they charged your credit card and it took a month, it is likely you were billed BEFORE the merchandise was shipped.  All of the mail order retailers I deal with only charge the credit card when the items are shipped (which is normally the same day of order or the next day).

I said about a month, it was more like 3 weeks. That was from the time it was ordered until it arrived at my front door. They did not bill my card until after they called and told me they were ready to be shipped. I checked the account the day of and it showed up at the end of the day that they shipped out. I cannot speak for previous transactions for others but they provided GREAT SERVICE for me and the CAPHF. They did a great job. No two ways about it!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

PWK-GT

Non-impressed with them recently. I ordered a number of the same ribbon, and they came in 3-4 different shades of the same color, and looked like they came from as many different manufacturers.

Sigh.....
"Is it Friday yet"

manfredvonrichthofen

PWK, I hate to say this, but that is not a VG issue, it is a CAP issue. There has never been any sort of solid regulation as to the color of the ribbons. That is an issue that must be worked within CAP.

As for the pins on rank and badges, I have always had that issue even with items that come from other sources such as my CIB and AASLT wings, the pins are made of a lightweight metal that is really not very metallic at all. The military had made that request a long time ago so that their people wouldn't set off alarms on metal detectors when entering government buildings or airports. I have found that putting a little bit of JB weld around the base of the pins to help a lot. Since I have been doing this, I haven't broken a single pin, I have bent quite a few though, and with the JB weld, it is strong enough that I just bend the pin back into place and have no worries about breaking the pin off.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 27, 2011, 02:14:16 PM
PWK, I hate to say this, but that is not a VG issue, it is a CAP issue. There has never been any sort of solid regulation as to the color of the ribbons. That is an issue that must be worked within CAP.

OK, no spec, fine.  But pick one and go with it.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

So, if I need some ribbons from Vanguard .. and I'd like them by Monday, what are the odds you think I'd get 'em with a phone order, today? Or web order? Since it says no matter how you pick the shipping, it still takes 3-5 days to deal with it?

vs.. find a smaller ribbon rack and say screw it. :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on June 15, 2011, 03:32:52 PM
So, if I need some ribbons from Vanguard .. and I'd like them by Monday, what are the odds you think I'd get 'em with a phone order, today? Or web order? Since it says no matter how you pick the shipping, it still takes 3-5 days to deal with it?

vs.. find a smaller ribbon rack and say screw it. :)

My situation is worse. Here's a "never again" event, on the 18th. I find out about it on the 14th. As a "new" SM, I don't have ANYTHING, or more specifically, the grey nameplate. I called VG yesterday, got bounced around their system until landing in the CAP department (and I must commend them on their FAST transfers/answers). Was told the engraver will be in TODAY, and if I placed the order last night/sent off an email to CAP@vanguardmil.com, they would try to expedite it. Now, this is an item that states 7-10 days processing time ("MAY", but sometimes that means WILL), as well as the 3 day order processing time. It does state for "urgent" orders to contact them at the email I listed above.

I did that, and plan to follow up with a phone call right now. If they actually get my "next day air" here by Friday, I'll be singing them praises for a while. If they don't...as someone in e-Commerce, I won't be surprised/pissed/disappointed.

People seem to think that processing time disappears when they pay for expedited/2nd day/next day shipments. Which of course isn't the reality.

rjfoxx

I just ordered (and rec'd in just 3 weeks) a new polo shirt.  I ordered it with name and the senior Cadet Programs badge assuming that the badge would be about the same size as the metal badge.  Boy, was I wrong...the embroibered CP badge is almost 4 inches x 2 inches!  While I know that Vanguard is "always right" and "never makes mistakes" I wonder what the reaction will be when I wear this shirt for the 1st time.  There is nothing in the regs that mentions this oversize embroidery.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: rjfoxx on June 15, 2011, 04:35:37 PM
I just ordered (and rec'd in just 3 weeks) a new polo shirt.  I ordered it with name and the senior Cadet Programs badge assuming that the badge would be about the same size as the metal badge.  Boy, was I wrong...the embroibered CP badge is almost 4 inches x 2 inches!  While I know that Vanguard is "always right" and "never makes mistakes" I wonder what the reaction will be when I wear this shirt for the 1st time.  There is nothing in the regs that mentions this oversize embroidery.

Then it's again, on CAP for not specifying...

P.S. Say what you will of quality issues (which I still find to be less common than I had with the Hock), but their customer service is outstanding:

Mr. Hatkevich,
Thank you for your email.  We will do our best to ship you order for delivery by the requested date.  Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.   
[Redacted by Me]
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
1172 AZALEA GARDEN ROAD, NORFOLK, VA 23502-5612
P| (800) 221-1264 X 262 •  F| (757) 857-0222
I didn't even get to the phone. Was going to look up the order number, and saw the email from them.

cap235629

I just received 3 embroidered GT Master badges. Yes you can see the detail in the wreath but I am pretty sure that where the "GT" is embroidered is supposed to be a circle..... Not a semi circular wavy single point line looking thingy....   GRRRRRRRRRRR
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Майор Хаткевич

Follow up:

QuoteVanguard Industries, Inc.
Order Number: xxxx
Date Ordered: Tuesday June 14, 2011
Detailed Invoice

Dear Michael Hatkevich,

Your FedEx Priority Overnight Tracking ID is:

QuoteOrder shipped complete

I too have waited weeks for orders (just when they started out). But this isn't the first time that VG has been AWESOME in supporting a rush order.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 15, 2011, 08:03:16 PM
I too have waited weeks for orders (just when they started out). But this isn't the first time that VG has been AWESOME in supporting a rush order.

Yeah same for me. If you actually call them, they will go out of their way to help out. I think people forget that the entire whole of CAP orders from one company, in one location. They get backed up. They've gotten better though. They usually ship my order within two or three business days. Order on a Friday morning and it usually goes out on a Monday.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have had issues in the past with sub par items, got some of it corrected with a kind email. However, I have never had issues with them shipping quickly. When I order a package full of items, usually a badge, and a patch or two and 15 or so ribbons every couple of months, I make my order in the evening, and I usually have a confirmation and tracking number for my package by the next afternoon, and the package in about two days, and I always pay the little extra for faster shipping. I have got to admit, I love their ability to ship quickly in the past 6-7 months, but their quality has been lacking, it has been going up, and the blue is much nicer, and the name tapes are much better in cloth than webbing. Beginning to like VG for the most part, my problems are now with CAP as they have not placed standards on colors or size or shape of ribbons and badges. I will be attempting to get something done about that when I can come up with all the color numbers and measurements for every badge and medal, and send it in a nice correspondence up the chain.                         
Every body, just remember, a nice word can get alot done when it needs done, better than harsh language.

SoCalMarine

You know, my issue with VG is the price. I can go into the Exchange and buy the same chevrons VG wants $12 for at the cost of about $2 for the AAFES version... and they're just as good. I looked last night while ordering some VG stuff and I looked at the SS Blue shirt... VG wants $44 where I can get the exact same shirt from the Coast Guard's UDC for about $14 and through the Exchange for about $16. Why on Earth would CAP members order some of that stuff through VG? I understand the need for a mark-up but come on. With that kind of mark-up they all must be driving new cars at VG.

a2capt

VG is not selling the same DSCP shirt. They're selling the Propper version. That one costs close to the same in the exchange or MCS.

a2capt

I'd like to have a complete, proper ribbon rack for the National Cadet Competition, maybe I'll call the Big V in the morning and try vs. the online thing which I couldn't get squat for confidence from.