Terribly poor quality of Vanguard CAP uniform items - anyone noticed?

Started by KDavis, April 05, 2011, 10:36:49 PM

RVT

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 04, 2011, 02:47:24 AMIt has been a couple of weeks since the email and I ordered a GTL badge and it was excellent! There are still some little flaws, but overall the quality is much much better. I will post a photo when I can.

Interesting - I recently ordered a bunch of insignia from them and while most of it actually shipped quickly my ground team basic badges were put on backorder.  I wonder if theres a connection.....

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: RVT on May 04, 2011, 10:16:50 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 04, 2011, 02:47:24 AMIt has been a couple of weeks since the email and I ordered a GTL badge and it was excellent! There are still some little flaws, but overall the quality is much much better. I will post a photo when I can.

Interesting - I recently ordered a bunch of insignia from them and while most of it actually shipped quickly my ground team basic badges were put on backorder.  I wonder if theres a connection.....
I hope so. I told them that the wreath around them was not recognizable as a wreath and that was my biggest issue. My badge was done so much better. I am glad they got the message and took it for what it was. I hope they continue with the standard that they gave me.

ProdigalJim

I just got a couple of things from Vanguard too, and when I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised. Higher thread-count, more detail. Doesn't look as nasty as some of the images I've seen others post here.

The SM hat device for my flight cap, however, well...looks like a 400-pounder sat on it before sending it. C'est la vie...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

manfredvonrichthofen

Send the hat device back. I have to say, that is probably one of the best items that they make. I am very pleased with the two I have.

JC004

ProdigalJim

"Bottle opener attached."

Well, heavenly days! Why am I fooling around with MOLLE gear when I could wear THAT!  :P
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 05, 2011, 01:02:52 AMThe SM hat device for my flight cap, however, well...looks like a 400-pounder sat on it before sending it. C'est la vie...
Maybe it was the 400 lb. pilot from the other thread... ;)

RVT

My ground team basic sew-ons just came and they look so much better than the old ones they could be mistaken for being a different badge.  I wish the GT badge embroidered into my polo shirt looked that good.

kmbarnes1

Can you post a picture of the new one and the old one? I'd love to see the comparison. If not, no worries!
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

manfredvonrichthofen

This is the new badge, but I don't know what the old one looks like for GTL. I must say though, the quality does compare to my CIB from 1800nametape.com. I am very pleased.

kmbarnes1

Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

commando1

I recently bought some white on blue rank patches from v-guard. I stood out in the rain for about an hour the other day and the blue dye started bleeding into the white embroidery??!!  >:( Anybody else have this happen?
Non Timebo Mala

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: commando1 on May 11, 2011, 11:25:32 PM
I recently bought some white on blue rank patches from v-guard. I stood out in the rain for about an hour the other day and the blue dye started bleeding into the white embroidery??!!  >:( Anybody else have this happen?
Every time, spray them with Scotch Guard.

ol'fido

A buddy of mine was complaining about the look of the new IL wing patch on FB. I went to the Scamguard website to look at it and  :o :P >:( :'(. What is supposed to be the outline of the state in the center looks kind of like a bomb dropping on the eagle's head.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

flyboy53

So, the joke or tragedy of this is that people used to complain about the Hock Shop's quality.....funny I was never disappointed.....funny what happens when there's only one supplier of insignia, isn't it!

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on May 14, 2011, 02:08:25 PM
So, the joke or tragedy of this is that people used to complain about the Hock Shop's quality.....funny I was never disappointed.....funny what happens when there's only one supplier of insignia, isn't it!

In this case it appears that the quality has improved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

anyone had experiences with the tie-tacs? I feel as though mine is just plastic painted with the gray/silver color, due mostly to my bending of the tac when I try to put it through my tie :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

All of the ones I have bought have been metal.

You need to be really careful, and slowly push the pin through the tie.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

I recently received challenge coins from Vanguard that I ordered about a month ago. These are the coins that I designed and ordered for the 70th Anniversary and the ones shown in the 70th Anniversary thread as a background. I was honestly skeptical about ordering the coins due to some of the negative feedback I have read. I ordered both bronze and silver toned coins. I ordered a limited amount of the silver.

When I received the coins I was extremely happy and satisfied. The quality of the coins and the details on the coin are great. Charles Bostwick and his team at Vanguard did an excellent job as far as I am concerned. Thanks to Charles and the Vanguard Team!!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

sneakers

Quote from: flyboy1 on May 14, 2011, 02:08:25 PM

Definitely. I'm disappointed that for a little kickback, cap makes vanguard the official and ONLY supplier. Yes, in some ways the Hock shop was lower quality. CAP should address that though, and not outlaw all alternate suppliers. Competition, in general, tends to produce better quality.