Terribly poor quality of Vanguard CAP uniform items - anyone noticed?

Started by KDavis, April 05, 2011, 10:36:49 PM

KDavis

Has anyone noticed the horribly poor quality of some of these new uniform items from Vanguard?
If there's truth to the statement that the quality of an Airman can be measured by the general professional appearance of the uniform and grooming of said Airman - it's sad that we are sentenced to looking horrible just by what we're forced to wear.

The occasion for my noticing the massive change in overall quality was that I was recently promoted.  In preparation for getting all my uniform switched over to my new grade, I logged in to Vanguard and ordered the new shoulder slides - both the "velcro" type for the lightweight jacket and regular ones for the uniform shirt/service dress jacket.  These things are garbage.

When compared to the old Capt. ones I have, the material is lightweight, flimsy, and of a completely different texture and color than my old ones.  They look terrible on the uniform.  The old ones were the same weight, color, and texture as standard shoulder slides used by the armed services - just grey.  That is not the case for the new ones.

While I was at it, I bought a new flight cap insignia.  In the process of putting it on my flight cap, one of the pins bent just pushing it through the same holes that the old one I had used - the holes were already there...  It's shiny, but it's poor quality.  My old one - though not shiny unless I polish it is heavier, better made (not made in China).  The worst part of it is that in attempting to bend the pin back; it broke off of the insignia...  That's not just bad quality, that's horrible quality.  Why do we accept this kind of garbage?

Worse, there's nowhere else that this stuff can be bought.  Other shops that used to carry better quality versions of these items are no longer in business due to litigation issues from National.  It begs the question...  If you're going to shut down businesses that sell these items wouldn't you want to sell equivalent quality items at the store where the membership is forced by monopoly to buy these "approved" items?

Eclipse

A valid point, but search is your friend.

There are already a number of threads on VG quality and customer service.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Try Evilbay (EBay).

You can sometimes find CAP uniform items and insignia there on the cheap...and they are often older ones in perfectly serviceable condition.  Very often the seller is another CAP member who may cut you a deal.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: KDavis on April 05, 2011, 10:36:49 PMWorse, there's nowhere else that this stuff can be bought.  Other shops that used to carry better quality versions of these items are no longer in business due to litigation issues from National.

For the record, the "alternate vendor's" products were lower quality, had incorrect colors, detail flaws, and most of the products that were not standard military issue were pac-rim knock-off's of the official products. They may have been an alternate source, but they were no bargain.

Like any place else, if the quality was not to your liking, return it and get a refund.  Did yo contact them about the issue, or is this windmill more effective to tilt at?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2011, 05:06:34 AM
Quote from: KDavis on April 05, 2011, 10:36:49 PMWorse, there's nowhere else that this stuff can be bought.  Other shops that used to carry better quality versions of these items are no longer in business due to litigation issues from National.

For the record, the "alternate vendor's" products were lower quality, had incorrect colors, detail flaws, and most of the products that were not standard military issue were pac-rim knock-off's of the official products. They may have been an alternate source, but they were no bargain.

Like any place else, if the quality was not to your liking, return it and get a refund.  Did yo contact them about the issue, or is this windmill more effective to tilt at?
Should be interesting to hear how well/quickly/easily the return process went with Vanguard.  I know with the Hock Shop it was pretty easy.

Of course they are the ONLY SOURCE for CAP specific items, so if they got a bad batch from the vendor (or the current vendor selected just isn't capable of producing a quality product), not too much can be done to get the member a quality item until they resolve the quality issue. 

Sources tell me that Vanguard wasn't at the MA Wing Conference this year, and I don't know if they've been to any wing conferences lately, but perhaps the economy (member's purchasing less items) has also affect this "profit center" for them so they've had to cut costs.   

RM

SarDragon

I've returned two items to Vanguard, and the process went smoothly each time. They sent me a new item, and all was good.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

They were at the ILWG conference this last weekend. Not a great big selection but adequate I guess. I bought about $20 worth of CAP specific items. Challenge coin(NWTM pattern), blazer crest, command patch, and a "30" attachment for my RSR.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on April 06, 2011, 10:22:07 PM
They were at the ILWG conference this last weekend. Not a great big selection but adequate I guess. I bought about $20 worth of CAP specific items. Challenge coin(NWTM pattern), blazer crest, command patch, and a "30" attachment for my RSR.

Pickings were a bit slim. One SM from my squadron was ready to shell out for a new set of blues on the spot, but no blues (or any other sort of uniform) to be found.

Al Sayre

Well, don't feel diss'ed, the selection at the Winter Board meeting was pretty thin as well...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AC

I have a pair of the poor shoulder slides I bought about a year or so ago. At the TX Wing conference last weekend, I was kidding the  Vanguard reps about it; they gave me a new set free of charge. They apologized for the quality of the previous ones. Didn't want the old ones back!

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

RVT

Quote from: AC on April 21, 2011, 02:57:41 AMI have a pair of the poor shoulder slides I bought about a year or so ago. At the TX Wing conference last weekend, I was kidding the  Vanguard reps about it; they gave me a new set free of charge. They apologized for the quality of the previous ones. Didn't want the old ones back!

So that was one bad batch and the new ones look OK again?

jeders

I don't know about bad batch, they were lousy quality for quite some time. But they gave Terry a much better pair than what he had, so I would say that they have raised there quality standards.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AC

Yes, they are back to the same quality as before the bad ones. :clap:

AEO

jeders

Hopefully that includes the Major ones too, I didn't bother to look while I was at the conference.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

davidsinn

Quote from: AC on April 21, 2011, 08:18:00 PM

So just mediocre quality then?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AC

Quote from: davidsinn on April 21, 2011, 09:49:16 PM

Well, I would say yes, but I haven't seen any better. They are quite presentable.

AEO

davidsinn

Quote from: AC on April 21, 2011, 09:54:01 PM

Well, I would say yes, but I haven't seen any better. They are quite presentable.

The ones they make for the military are nice looking. I don't understand why ours suck. Just change the color and add CAP and you're done.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AC

Quote from: davidsinn on April 21, 2011, 09:56:00 PM
Quote from: AC on April 21, 2011, 09:54:01 PM

The ones they make for the military are nice looking. I don't understand why ours suck. Just change the color and add CAP and you're done.

I suspect it is because the military has strict specifications for stuff made for them. Maybe CAP Corporate doesn't have the same specs. :-\

AEO

jeders

Quote from: AC on April 21, 2011, 11:53:53 PM
I suspect it is because the military has strict specifications for stuff made for them. Maybe CAP Corporate doesn't have the same specs. :-\

Or more correctly, any specs. If you ever read AFI 36-2903, it specifies the exact color thread to use on insignia.

manfredvonrichthofen

Ok, so I wrote a rather nice email to VG. I told them that I love the quality of their embroidered badges for the Army and Air Force. Then I told them that I was rather disappointed with the quality of their embroidered badges for Civil Air Patrol. Then that I know they are professionals and they pride themselves in their work and we are professionals as well and pride ourselves in our uniforms, and we would appreciate it if you could could make a further effort in our embroidery. When sending the email I was mostly referring to their quality of GT badges and wings.

Two days later I got an email back thanking me for my candor and writing in a civil tone.

It has been a couple of weeks since the email and I ordered a GTL badge and it was excellent! There are still some little flaws, but overall the quality is much much better. I will post a photo when I can.