Uniform Tips And Tricks?

Started by ASchlagel, June 08, 2010, 08:17:28 PM

jb512

Quote from: ASchlagel on June 10, 2010, 02:59:28 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
Quote from: ASchlagel on June 08, 2010, 08:25:16 PM
Well in our Squadron no one ever puts their covers in their pockets, were outside most the time and when we are inside we are only in for a few moments. So it works for us. Also I got that from a man who was in the army for 20+ years. Todays the first time im testing it, so ill get back to you on that.

Don't let these guys rag you on the hat.  For some reason every single time someone mentions starch and BDU in the same sentence they get all twisted.  I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to.

When I was a cadet I always starched my hat and my uniforms... still do as a senior.  Had them do extra super heavy starch from the cleaners and did my own hat as well.  To me nothing looks sloppier than someone who looks like they crawled out of bed in their uniform and strolled into a meeting.  It also looks sloppy to the public too.

While it was mostly due to a buildup of dirt and old repeated applications of sweat rather than starch, in basic I was actually complimented by a random TI about the shape of my hat that came from years of practice as a cadet years ago.

Take pride in yourself, your uniform, and what it represents and don't let anybody kill that.  It'll help you later in life, I guarantee it.

Thanks, I can see that alot of people really hate starch. But, for me it works too, no on every says anythign against my hat, and i dont liek putting it in my pocket either. And when i do, ive onyl done it once it got a nice crease in the top but with a quick splash of starch it was gone.
Again Thanks.

No problem.  Stay sharp.

snpotratz

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 10, 2010, 02:51:11 AM
My starched set wouldn't normally make it into the field but I'm willing to bet that the bright orange reflective vest coupled with the smurf blue nametags and insignia would give me away.  Not a very bright response.

Perhaps not, but you'll have bright BDUs!

Sheesh people, don't take things too seriously.  Apparently some haven't been on a night SAREX in the mountains.
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

JoeTomasone

Well in our Squadron no one ever puts their covers in their pockets, were outside most the time and when we are inside we are only in for a few moments. So it works for us. Also I got that from a man who was in the army for 20+ years. Todays the first time im testing it, so ill get back to you on that.

Don't let these guys rag you on the hat.  For some reason every single time someone mentions starch and BDU in the same sentence they get all twisted.  I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to.

You should rephrase that:  " I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to comply with that regulation."

Great example you're setting.   Tell us, which regulations do you consider optional and which ones do you follow?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on June 09, 2010, 02:11:49 AM
NOT recommended for ribbons. It can make the colors bleed.

It doesn't hurt to launder/dry-clean your uniforms once in a while. The fabric lasts longer, and the grime doesn't become embedded.

I've never had that happen with Scotch-Guard...I've had pretty good luck with it, though of course as long as you don't go overboard.

It costs a bit, but I always have my blues professionally laundered and pressed.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JayT

The problem isn't the starch, its that some people overuse it. When I was a cadet, I would go through a can a month or more for no real good reason. Your uniform isn't suppose to stand up on its own. That's not the military way, its not how'd you'd dress in equvilent civilian clothes. A little light starch on the creases and pockets is best. I use start occassionally on my work uniform just on the sleeve creases.

Also, make sure that when you bring your uniform to the tailor to get the patches put on, bring a copy of the page from 39-1 that shows the placement.

Buy a sewing gauge.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jb512

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 10, 2010, 06:25:09 AM

You should rephrase that:  " I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to comply with that regulation."

Great example you're setting.   Tell us, which regulations do you consider optional and which ones do you follow?

Seriously?  I guess someone will have to just "2B" me then. 

"Why'd you get kicked out of CAP?"

"Well, I wouldn't put my hat in my pocket so they had to let me go...".

ASchlagel

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 10, 2010, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 10, 2010, 06:25:09 AM

Seriously?  I guess someone will have to just "2B" me then. 

"Why'd you get kicked out of CAP?"

"Well, I wouldn't put my hat in my pocket so they had to let me go...".

Agreed, Just cus you don't put your hat in your pocket doesn't meen your gonna get kicked out, No need for CAPF 50 or anything, its just preference. A lot of cadets in my Squadron don't like to put their hats away, it just waists time to have to stop and shove it in your pocket then fight to get it back out when we go back outside. Its an inconvenience, and we get yelled out when we don't almost run outside when told to get out for flight time.

JayT

Quote from: ASchlagel on June 10, 2010, 09:15:49 PMAgreed, Just because you don't put your hat in your pocket doesn't mean you're gonna get kicked out. No need for CAPF 50 or anything, its just preference. A lot of cadets in my Squadron don't like to put their hats away, it just wastes time to have to stop and shove it in your pocket then fight to get it back out when we go back outside. Its an inconvenience, and we get yelled at when we don't almost run outside when told to get out for flight time.

It was a sarcastic joke methinks.

The spirit of it is correct through. Not everyone who breaks small rules breaks big rules, but everyone who breaks big rules breaks the small ones too.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

Quote from: JThemann on June 10, 2010, 11:58:01 AM
The problem isn't the starch, its that some people overuse it. When I was a cadet, I would go through a can a month or more for no real good reason. Your uniform isn't suppose to stand up on its own. That's not the military way, its not how'd you'd dress in equvilent civilian clothes. A little light starch on the creases and pockets is best. I use start occassionally on my work uniform just on the sleeve creases.

Also, make sure that when you bring your uniform to the tailor to get the patches put on, bring a copy of the page from 39-1 that shows the placement.

Buy a sewing gauge.

Or, even better, if there's a sewing machine at your residence, learn how to use it.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ASchlagel on June 10, 2010, 09:15:49 PM

Agreed, Just cus you don't put your hat in your pocket doesn't meen your gonna get kicked out, No need for CAPF 50 or anything, its just preference. A lot of cadets in my Squadron don't like to put their hats away, it just waists time to have to stop and shove it in your pocket then fight to get it back out when we go back outside. Its an inconvenience, and we get yelled out when we don't almost run outside when told to get out for flight time.

It's not preference, it's regulation.    And following ALL of the regulations is not a choice, it's a requirement.   While failing to adhere to every single regulation may not be 2B-worthy, intentionally doing so speaks volumes about your integrity.

Майор Хаткевич

It takes all of 3 seconds to stow the patrol cap, and maybe 5 seconds to pull it back out...

But what do I know, I only did it all the time for 5 years of active cadet participation...

CAP277

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 11, 2010, 04:30:28 AM

It's not preference, it's regulation.    And following ALL of the regulations is not a choice, it's a requirement.   While failing to adhere to every single regulation may not be 2B-worthy, intentionally doing so speaks volumes about your integrity.

I think that takes it too far, the same could be said that you lack professionalism because you don't mind a wrinkled crushed hat on your head after taken out of your trouser pocket. Let's not make this into an issue of morals, planes fly and put bombs on target everyday in our air force and chances are some of those people might have their sleeves rolled up a little in the cockpits or dont zipper their flightsuit pockets all the way. Doesn't mean they lack integrity.

SarDragon

It's a working uniform. If it's clean, fits properly, and is in good repair, then it should be acceptable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 11, 2010, 04:30:28 AM

The fact that I'm still being civil about this instead of twisting off should speak even more about me because that's absolutely ridiculous.

Call me crazy but that kind of thinking does not work in real life.  Let's say, as a cop, I see a car speeding one mile over the speed limit.  Are all drivers required to follow the laws of their state all the time?  Sure, but there has to be discretion in the enforcement of those laws.  I could pull that person over and write them a ticket, by law, but I would never do that.  The application of the law is just as important as the written law itself and it wouldn't last very long with me being that much of a...... well, let's just say that wouldn't work.

It's called discretion and I have it for a reason.

jb512

Quote from: SarDragon on June 11, 2010, 06:47:38 AM
It's a working uniform. If it's clean, fits properly, and is in good repair, then it should be acceptable.

I agree.  That would meet the mere standard of acceptability.

Daniel

Greetings gentlemen,

It is apparent that none of you are from the entire wing of Missouri.  I just sent my BDU blouse in to have to pockets sewn shut.

I always iron and starch because, its required.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

SarDragon

Could you please provide a citation to anything official in writing to back up your claim.

BTW, it's sewn, not sown. We're talking about thread skills, not pitching seed on the ground.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Daniel

I have heard there was a wing supplement floating around here somewhere no luck on mocap website

Editted: to change the post from encampment to wing.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

EMT-83