Main Menu

Old charter photo

Started by BHartman007, September 19, 2013, 04:05:49 AM

BHartman007

I just thought others might find interest in an old charter I found hanging in a back room. Pardon my camera flash, it was a dark back room.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

a2capt

11 years earlier than ours... Has the unit been continuous since?

BHartman007

Quote from: a2capt on September 19, 2013, 05:21:30 AM

The name isn't the same, and the charter number is 42098 now. I'm not sure when that change happened.

MSG Mac

Quote from: BHartman007 on September 19, 2013, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: a2capt on September 19, 2013, 05:21:30 AM

The name isn't the same, and the charter number is 42098 now. I'm not sure when that change happened.

It may have merged with a different unit with the higher number
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

a2capt

If you can trace lineage to that unit, there's the possibility of reactivating that one, too. :)
Unless the charter number you have now is older... ;-)

They were not necessarily issued in order.

The reality of it is.. just leave it alone. But if you're unit can trace itself back to that contiguously, you can put on your site, "Older than Sputnik!" :)

Blackhawk

Very interesting, has it been hanging in the same place the entire time?

BHartman007

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 11, 2013, 03:04:55 AM
Very interesting, has it been hanging in the same place the entire time?

Sorry, I didn't realize this had been replied to.

No, the building we're in isn't even that old.

Robert Eaton

Thank you for Posting.  There was also a Houston Senior Squadron on Ellington Field. I believe that charter number was 42049.  I know when I left the Squadron in 1999 the Houston Senior Squadron certificate was in the History files of the squadron. ( I last saw those in the Comm Room)

The Ellington Composite Squadron unit name was a result of the merger of Shamrock Cadet Squadron and the Space City Composite Squadron in 1971.  Space City meet in the Air Cargo facility at Hobby airport for about 3 years.  Before that the unit was the Mount Carmel Composite Squadron and was hosted Mount Carmel Catholic Church north of Hobby Airport.  At the time of the merger Shamrock / Ellington was meeting in Building 676.  I have an old photo of that building I can email to you. The then Group XIII (now Group 4) and Shamrock shared the facility.  The oldest charter certificate for Shamrock I recall seeing was dated 1968. 

If I am not mistaken the "Bayou City Composite Squadron" was the later name for unit 42051.  Contact Teresa Alexander with Group 4 staff to confirm that as I might be mistaken.

Ellington move to the current building in the mid 1990's.  Prior building were 676, 1056, 1055 and now the current building in that order.  Prior to building 676 the squadron shared space in the the old base controller building but I do not know the number.

I still have a press release about receiving t-34 aircraft when National Headquarters was on Ellington Field.

Robert "Bob" Eaton

Private Investigator

Bob, thanks for the intel and welcome aboard sir.  :clap:

BHartman007

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 27, 2013, 09:47:43 PM
Bob, thanks for the intel and welcome aboard sir.  :clap:

Motion seconded and passed.  :clap:

BHartman007

Quote from: Robert Eaton on November 25, 2013, 11:14:13 PM
I have an old photo of that building I can email to you.

I would appreciate that, thank you! bhartman007 @ gmail.com