Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

NIN

Quote from: CyBorg on December 31, 2013, 11:48:06 PM
Also...authorised or not, I remember seeing the flight cap quite frequently with the smurf suit.

WIWAC , that was the case.  That went away at some point in the 1990s.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

It is beyond me that a baseball cap is still regarded as being appropriate for a non-work uniform like the G/W kit.

It really isn't, and the clear intention is no hat a t all with the G/W.  The ball cap is a compromise for those people
who insist on a hat, or wear a dress uniform on a flight line, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

skymaster

Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2013, 10:00:33 PM
Unit and Group CC badges still contain the incorrect MAJCOM and the HAP Arnold wings
which are no longer approved for CAP use.

As luck would have it, I discussed this very matter (along with several other related questions about 39-1) with Susie Parker at our Wing Conference a few years ago, where she was participating in a Q & A roundtable about CAP Personnel matters. Per her, the reason for that MAJCOM and Hap Arnold wing design not being changed, was that that specific  design was the one that had already been approved all the way up the chain, up through CAP-USAF, Air University, AETC, and the Air Staff, because the Air Staff wanted it to be sufficiently distinctive in design from the active duty Commander's device. Since it had been approved as sufficiently distinctive enough by the Air Staff, everyone else in the chain felt it was better to just leave it as it is, because a change of any kind in the approved design would have to go ALL the way up the chain again for approval by all echelons that approved the original design.

As an aside, a friend of mine who is a legal officer on the Air Force side explained it this way, and it makes sense: the new Command emblem that has "Civil Air Patrol" in the scrollwork, and no "US" on the shield is an emblem that Civil Air Patrol, as a private nonprofit corporation, has exclusive rights to. The old Command emblem, with the "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" scrollwork, however, does not enjoy quite the same level of exclusivity, as the Institute of Heraldry and the Air Force hold certain reserved rights in that area, since the words "U.S. Air Force" are used upon it. Also, not to put too fine a point on it, since the AF does have some legal rights in this area, they can exercise those rights by saying "this is what we consider the emblem of the Air Force Auxiliary to be". All one has to do is look at the wording on the plaque in front of the CAP plane on display in front of First Air Force HQ at Tyndall AF, to see that the AF considers our name to be the "Air Force Auxiliary (AF AUX), better known as Civil Air Patrol (CAP)".

And, as far as the AF Public Affairs people are concerned, they still think that the old  "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" Command Emblem is current, because they are still using it in recent news releases, and it is still the one in their PAO graphics kit. I am not saying that is right or wrong, merely that that is a still very recent practice by Ma Blue.

skymaster

For reference, this is the banner provided by AF Public Affairs for use with CAP related news in AF publications, that was in use as recently as a few weeks ago.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2013, 09:27:32 PM
Guard ribbons not authorized.

Guard ribbons have never been authorized.  No change here.

MSG Mac

Let's get rid of the Wing patches.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 01, 2014, 01:28:55 AM
  Let's get rid of the Wing patches.

At least they aren't mandatory again.
but yes, lets model the AF as closely as possible.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LSThiker

In attachment 4, they have the NCSA patches for Right shoulder or Left/Right pocket.  However, there is not anywhere I see that limits the NCSA patch to 1.  I have a feeling I am going to see a cadet walking around with an NCSA patch on the right shoulder, left pocket, and right pocket.

Shuman 14

Quote from: NIN on December 31, 2013, 08:30:43 PM
Quote from: Panache on December 31, 2013, 08:28:35 PM
Thoughts:

Disappointed that you still can't wear the flight cap or military ribbons with the G/Ws.

You shouldn't wear military ribbons on non-military clothing. Simple as that. G/Ws are not a military uniform.  More or less the same goes for the flight cap. You're mixing military and civilian clothing. (seriously)

Then why do the Service's have regulations to cover wearing their decorations on Civilian clothing?  ???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on December 31, 2013, 11:04:34 PM
Quote from: Panache on December 31, 2013, 08:28:35 PM
Thoughts:

Disappointed that you still can't wear the flight cap or military ribbons with the G/Ws.

You shouldn't wear military ribbons on non-military clothing. Simple as that. G/Ws are not a military uniform.  More or less the same goes for the flight cap. You're mixing military and civilian clothing. (seriously)

Cops wear military ribbons all over the country. As do VFW color guards, bikers in leather vests and lotsa others. In fact, a few years ago, a Secretary of Defense actually encouraged the practice of wearing military ribbons/medals on civilian clothes.

One of these days.....CAP will find itself explaining why a MOH holder can't wear the ribbon simply because his shirt is white. And the explanation will sound silly.

Or a CAP member who is awarded an Air Medal... and can't wear it on G/Ws.  :-\

(Yes I know that hasn't happened in a long while... but it could happen.)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

LSThiker

For those wondering.  The only thing I see is that it says medals and not ribbons, but realistically not a problem.  Unless that is the actual reason.  We do not wear medals (except the Mess Dress).

Quote from: AR 670-1
30–6. Wear of medals on civilian clothes
Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-size or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

Quote from: AFI 36-2903
11.8. Placement of Medals on Civilian Dress Coat or Jacket.
11.8.1. Civilian Evening Dress (men). Wear miniature medals parallel to the ground on wearer's left side of coat or jacket and align the top of the suspension medal of the top row with (not above) the top of the pocket.
11.8.2. Civilian Black Tie. Wear miniature medals parallel to the ground on wearer's left side of coat or jacket and center the holding bar of the bottom row of medals immediately above the pocket.
11.8.3. Wear of miniature medals is designed for a mounting bar.
11.8.4. Do not wear pocket-handkerchief, when wearing medals above the left pocket. 11.8.5. The Medal of Honor is worn in regular-size only, from the neckband ribbon.
11.8.5.1. Place the ribbon around the neck outside the shirt collar and inside the coat or jacket collar.
11.8.5.2. Wear authorized foreign neck decorations beneath the Medal of Honor.

sarmed1

Interesting: 12232 minimum basic corporate.....it says only authorized for those not meeting weight standards? Are they meaning that everyone else must wear usaf? (And the "only" was bold faced)

I know it was mentioned somewhere here but couldn't find brown tshirts with bdu's only black?
Black fleece only with bbdu?...seems kind of unfair unless they plan to go with sage only come abu's and don't want to have to worry about a phase out issue
No rain gear for fdu? Even in the usaf gortex is ok with fdu as a rain gear option. Guess flight crew only come out in fair weather......

I continue to disagree with the "weight" issue.  The usaf eliminated the max weight standard years ago and instead uses the reasonable appearance in uniform standard.  Since the 39-1 puts accountability for standard enforcement on commanders I think it would be the "reasonable appearance" standard would be easier and more user friendly than weigh-ins.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Fubar

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 01, 2014, 02:54:19 AMI continue to disagree with the "weight" issue.  The usaf eliminated the max weight standard years ago and instead uses the reasonable appearance in uniform standard.  Since the 39-1 puts accountability for standard enforcement on commanders I think it would be the "reasonable appearance" standard would be easier and more user friendly than weigh-ins.

Although against regulation, essentially most commanders are using a "reasonable appearance" standard and failing so badly at it - the regulation now includes a suggestion to perform weigh-ins.

But don't worry, it's just a suggestion, so that SQ/CC who's a tad hefty won't even think of bringing a scale to the squadron.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 01, 2014, 02:54:19 AM
Interesting: 12232 minimum basic corporate.....it says only authorized for those not meeting weight standards? Are they meaning that everyone else must wear usaf? (And the "only" was bold faced)

I know it was mentioned somewhere here but couldn't find brown tshirts with bdu's only black?
Black fleece only with bbdu?...seems kind of unfair unless they plan to go with sage only come abu's and don't want to have to worry about a phase out issue
No rain gear for fdu? Even in the usaf gortex is ok with fdu as a rain gear option. Guess flight crew only come out in fair weather......

I continue to disagree with the "weight" issue.  The usaf eliminated the max weight standard years ago and instead uses the reasonable appearance in uniform standard.  Since the 39-1 puts accountability for standard enforcement on commanders I think it would be the "reasonable appearance" standard would be easier and more user friendly than weigh-ins.

MK

The USAF does have max weight or h/w BMI measurements, they just aren't in the uniform reg. They are in the regs to get in the USAF, and a waist measure, or BMI, that if you fail it 4 times in 1 calendar year automatically requires a board to review whether you are retained in the USAF at all.

a2capt

Yup, and since we don't use any kind of metric for determining whether you can continue to serve (Pay NHQ money annually), the only thing we have is "can you wear this uniform, or that one, here's how you can tell."

James Shaw

Quote from: Walkman on December 31, 2013, 07:05:04 PM
Removed American flag patch from BDUs (attachement 9)
QuoteEliminated American Flag Patch
on BDUs and Blue Field
Uniform
1 Jan 2017

Attachemnt 7 shows "aircrew" wings? is that new? I couldn't find other mention of it in a search...

Yes this is new
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

LSThiker

Quote from: capsafety on January 01, 2014, 04:48:37 AM
Quote from: Walkman on December 31, 2013, 07:05:04 PM
Removed American flag patch from BDUs (attachement 9)
QuoteEliminated American Flag Patch
on BDUs and Blue Field
Uniform
1 Jan 2017

Attachemnt 7 shows "aircrew" wings? is that new? I couldn't find other mention of it in a search...

Yes this is new

It will be interesting to see what the requirements are for it and if there will be a retroactive component.  For example, if it is awarded to Mission Scanners, will those that were qualified in the past be eligible.  I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

Panache

It is beyond me that a baseball cap is still regarded as being appropriate for a non-work uniform like the G/W kit.

Etymologically speaking, a baseball cap is any cap you can wear while playing baseball.

Quite frankly, wearing a baseball cap with anything other than shorts and a t-shirt makes one look like a tool.  I guess that's what they want with those who wear the G/W's.

Also, if they're going to continue to make us suffer with the "Civil Air Patrol" baseball cap, I wish they would actually give us a specific description of what it looks like so at least we're uniform.  6.2.11 is maddeningly vague and Vanguard has a couple different caps for sale.

6.2.11 CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. Appropriate civilian headgear may be worn during inclement weather. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems (clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor.

"Appropriate civilian headgear"?  So, fedoras are still a-okay!

Quote from: Fubar on January 01, 2014, 03:46:59 AM
But don't worry, it's just a suggestion, so that SQ/CC who's a tad hefty won't even think of bringing a scale to the squadron.

Or anybody in Wing staff or above....

You shouldn't wear military ribbons on non-military clothing. Simple as that.

I earned them just as much as the guy who's a little younger and/or thinner than I am.

Quote from: CyBorg on December 31, 2013, 10:48:05 PM
No, it is not, and we are still not given anything to wear with the G/W kit for cold weather (pullover jumper)...or a hat other than the goofy baseball cap which is more appropriate for polos than a "dressy" uniform.

Yes, I was disappointed by this as well.  There are several sections devoted for cold-weather outerwear with the AF-blues, but pretty much nothing on the G/W's (the aquamarine blue windbreaker?  Really?).

Quote from: CyBorg on December 31, 2013, 10:48:05 PM
Still, much of what I predicted - no deviation from the status quo - is in place.  I had hoped I would be wrong.

If I was a cynical* person, I would guess this is because the people writing it don't have to wear the G/W's with the rest of us plebes, so it just wasn't given the same amount of thought.

(* read: realistic)

LSThiker

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 01, 2014, 02:54:19 AM
I continue to disagree with the "weight" issue. 

The only thing I disagree with CAP's weight standards is that it does not allow for those that are simply "over weight" but have low BMI or low body fat percentages.  Granted this probably does not happen very often (okay almost never for CAP).  If a purely muscular person were to join and was "over weight" common sense would say that a commander should not have a problem with letting that person wear the USAF uniform.  However, we know there will be someone out there at some point in time that may actually say "no" to a person like that.

SARDOC

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 31, 2013, 07:55:26 PM
I'm surprised that the Incident Commander badge still ranks lower than the Observer badge. Even the Air Force have given equal standing to some non-aeronautical badges, such as the Space and Cyberspace badges.

I know that when I was Navy and I suspect the Air Force is the same way....The Aviation Badge almost always goes on top.