Like to suggest a discussion group for disabled members of CAP

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, August 24, 2012, 04:09:41 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

Like to suggest a discussion group for disabled members of CAP.  A place to share information as to how they serve CAP effectively with their disabilities.

There are folks that lack imagination and would rather deprive a person with disabilities a chance to help and serve than help them fit in.  So, a discussion group, geared to address concerns, and give suggestions as to how they can fit in would go a long way.

I'd love to hear from disabled CAP members and learn how you handle your disabilities, serving CAP.

D2, CAPT, CAP
challenged with Multiple Sclerosis since 2003, subsequently medically discharged from the AF one year later.

:D
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Private Investigator

Like a yahoo group for CAP members with disabilities?

What I have notice is it depends on the Squadron Commander. They set the tone. We do have a spot for everyone.

RogueLeader

What is your definition of "disabled"?  I have a genetic condition called congenital nystagmus that got me the boot from the Army.  They call me "disabled."  However, I am doing all that I have normally done, so I don't call myself "disabled" unto the point where it does, and it will- just a matter of time, before I am "disabled."

I guess I have a disability that hasn't disabled me yet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have a disability that is not visible, yet it caused me to get a medical discharge from the Air National Guard.

What sort of group are you proposing?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

I cant feel two fingers in my left hand, a bad knee PTSD, TBI,  and blind in my left eye. My main role in CAP is Es, and I don't have much at all of an issue. It mostly depends on the individual and their level of motivation and determination. If they are determined enough, not much will keep them from being able to contribute strongly. So long as they know what they want to do and they know what they can do, there won't be anything to keep them from fitting in and contributing well.WIWAC we had a senior member in a wheel chair who knew and understood ES but he knew he couldn't actually perform it, but he could teach it, so that was his contribution. Know your limits, and drive foreward with that.

snrgstcs

I usually am a bystander on CAPTalk, but couldn't resist this topic.  I would absolutely enjoy any forum with his topic.  Whether it be Facebook or here, doesn't matter.  I have spina bifida and now use a wheelchair.  I joined when I was 15.  I didn't find out until years later that the squadron commander at that time contacted region and had a long conversation about me.  They ultimately decided to let me join and see what I could do.  That was almost 30 years ago. I've been there, done that in the program.  The only thing that I was not able to do was IACE, only because those that cared didn't want me to get hurt and not have the medical facilities in a foreign country.  Other than that, I've done everything I wanted.

Ch Steve Rountree, Lt Col, CAP
(C/Lt Col retired)

Woodsy

As a PAO, I'd be interested in doing a feature story on a disabled CAP member for Volunteer and WingSpan Magazine (FLWG's publication.) 

JaL5597

I think its a wonderful idea to be able to connect with others who have disabilities and are able to serve in our program.  I have been trying to get back involved over the last 6 months after finding out from the doctors about my issues.  I have Cowden Disease and Lhermitte-Dulchos Disease and am trying to do the best I can in the program these days.

Joshua Leslie, Captain CAP

Pylon

I think a common thread or two on CAPTalk could perhaps serve as a useful and effective collection point for discussion, rather than creating an entire board.  If you wanted to share the discussion(s) with people outside of CAPTalk, you could give them a direct link to the thread and they could read everything (but would have to register to reply/post).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

I am on this so called "Disabled" Catagory. What disables me in on the contrary, but i do what i can to stay active and focused on the mission at hand. If you really want me to get into "Specifics" what makes me disabled be prepared to read an book. Give you an hint "IED". :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.