Encampment Sign up Forms

Started by CadetMetsker, November 28, 2023, 02:34:40 AM

CadetMetsker

I've hit a snag. While filling out the sign up forms for the winter encampment I'm planning on attending, I've gotten all of my parents signatures but it's asking fo a witness signature. Who do I get to sign that line? Can it be me?

MSG Mac

HAs to be a third party.  Someone not you who witnessed your parents signing the forms
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

My understanding was that the witness signature was no longer a requirement in accordance with the regulation (CAPR60-1, 9.2.5).

Quote9.2.5. Eligibility. To participate, cadets must have completed Achievement 1, and receive permission
from their parent or guardian and unit commander via a CAPF 60-81. For Type A encampments, cadets
must be at least 12 years old by the start of the activity. Unit commanders shall discuss the encampment
environment with parents of their cadets, especially parents of cadets under age 14. It is conceivable
that some of the youngest cadets will be best served if they attend encampment during their second
cycle of eligibility.

The multiple signature requirement was phased out in the 2021 revision to the regulation. I have brought up with NHQ several times that the form does not interface with the regulation, and many wings still expect group commander signatures as well. It seems to be a lower priority item and is intended to be revised in the next round of updates to the reg, at least that's how I understood their intent.

jeders

You're confusing the requirement for group and wing commanders still being on the form vs the elimination of their approval from the regulations. The witness signature has nothing to do with that, it's merely a disinterested 3rd party saying that the person who signed as parent/guardian is who they say they are without going so far as to require a notary.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that it doesn't serve a useful purpose, so it should be eliminated. But that's just my personal opinion.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse