Advice for Drill Team Cmdr

Started by go4spaatz, August 31, 2013, 05:04:40 AM

go4spaatz

Any advice for a new Drill team Cmdr? I will be leading my drill team against Youngstown, national number 1, in the spring. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any helpful tips. Thanks
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"

a2capt

It's not about the outcome.
Its about the journey. The friendships forged, the experiences gained, and the team that becomes one.

The gaggle of kids that can't even march in step, to the cadets that learn to march in step and alignment with their eyes closed.

You don't go to the competition to win. You go to show the judges how hard you trained for it, how hard you worked. If you do that, I think you will be pleased with the result.

Brad

Quote from: a2capt on August 31, 2013, 06:11:42 AMYou don't go to the competition to win. You go to show the judges how hard you trained for it, how hard you worked. If you do that, I think you will be pleased with the result.

Having been a judge myself, I can honestly say this is exactly true. Exhibition or regulation drill, I want to see that the cadets can do that toss across as one mass unit at the same time, I want to see that they can all go from right shoulder arms to present arms without moving their heads. I want to hear their feet hit the ground as one sound....but I want to also see that they know how to do all this without thinking about it. Sure there's counts, counts help you keep track, but when you have a team that has done a drill sequence so many times that they're all ready to jump at the commander for messing up the sequence during practice (all in fun of course) that is when you know you're on the right track.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Is your Wing or Group intending to do something locally in terms of competition?

NCC was "paused" for 2014, or at least that is the scuttle, since nothing official has been sent through channels.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yes, things were sent through channels. Surprised you didn't see it.

Call it a strategic pause, and it's not without precedent. As discussed in the other thread. 2000 and a period of nearly 10 years from the mid 1960's forward.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2013, 03:39:16 AM
Is your Wing or Group intending to do something locally in terms of competition?

NCC was "paused" for 2014, or at least that is the scuttle, since nothing official has been sent through channels.

Even if not, it's not a bad idea to start training now, as it can take a long time to be fully prepared for this competition. While it's likely that that you may have some turnover by the time of the actual competition, those cadets that stick with it during the entire time will be much better prepared and can train and mentor the newer members of your drill team. Good luck!

go4spaatz

I have no idea if OHWG will be having a Cadet Competition, but I'm assuming yes for now. Better to be prepared. thanks everyone for the advice, it is quite helpful.
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"