Cadet Operating Instructions/Training Manual

Started by GTCommando, December 13, 2011, 07:16:42 PM

GTCommando

Greetings,
My Squadron is looking at developing a couple of documents in the coming year.

1.  Cadet Operating Instructions: A publication containing our squadron's policies and standard operating procedures pertaining to the Cadet Program.

2.  Cadet Training Manual: a (small) handbook-type publication for reference use, containing things like CAP and USAF general knowledge, CPFT standards, uniform standards, current chain of command, Customs and Courtesies, i.e. the information our cadets use most often.

We've been thinking about this for a while, and think it would be a helpful step in standardization and enhancing the Cadet Program at our Squadron. With that being said, we want the finished products to be as complete and user-friendly as possible. So here are a few questions.

1.  Does your Squadron use anything like this with the cadets?

2.  Do you use two separate publications, or just one conglomerate SOP-type document?

3. For the training manual, is it designed/intended as a training manual for new cadets (C/AB-C/A1C), or as a reference for cadets in general?

Any comments, suggestions or personal experiences would be appreciated. If you have any sage words of wisdom, or any examples of either of these documents, feel free to post. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
GTCommando
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Eclipse

I would limit it to only things specific and "different" for your unit, and refer to the authoritative documents for standard
procedures and parts of the program.  far too much effort is spent at the wing and below, writing supplements and OI's
which simply reiterate existing regulations.

Once properly approved, they need to be regularly reviewed, updated, and re-approved.  This will be an SUI issue to
stay on top of.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

titanII

Check out your wing's Encampment OI's. I'd be willing to bet that it would have much of what you're looking for, already set up. Not so much uniforms or C&C's, but definitely General Knowledge and Chain of Command.
No longer active on CAP talk