Aerospace and leadership test for college credit?

Started by ElectricPenguin, April 12, 2011, 12:16:04 AM

ElectricPenguin

Could you count the test torward hours? Is there a way CAP allows this???

davidsinn

The question isn't weather CAP allows it, but will the college accept it? A lot of colleges give life experience credit and you could try to make the argument that this might count but that's up to the college.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

coudano

pass your mitchell, earhart, and spaatz awards and you can get some credit for aerospace studies (afrotc) at some colleges

DC

I don't know about college, but I know several cadets who have gotten high school credit for CAP, and homeschoolers that have listed their CAP studies on their transcripts.

To echo what davidsinn said, getting a college to accept it would likely be a major challenge.

tsrup

the AFROTC credit would probably be your best hope, and that would require some serious work on your part and probably a Spaatz award to pull off.

But as for straight up aerospace credit, it's not likely, and it's not likely you'd want to.  The cadet program aerospace material is good foundation material, but it by no means meets or even comes close to the college level. 

I did get college credit for my PPL which I obtained as a cadet through CAP, however I am in an aviation degree program and the credit was for completion of FAA approved training, NOT cadet aerospace.

To get an equivalency for an non accredited syllabus would mean that you would need to submit a copy of that syllabus and do some really hard selling on your part. 

I wouldn't say never, but I would say .001%.
Paramedic
hang-around.

MIKE

I've heard that using the ROTC credit can actually have a negative impact on your ROTC experience overall.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Some of the AFIADL courses open to Cadet Officers and Senior Members may be eligible for college credit.  Given these courses are administered by a regionally-accredited institution of higher ed (Air University) and have standard syllabi, you may have a much easier time convincing an institution to grant you credit for AFIADL courses.  As everyone mentioned above, however, whether credit is granted or not is completely up to your host institution.  They can choose to accept or decline any credit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BillB

Pylon
As long at the AFIADL course has been evaluted by the American Council on Education (ACE), many schools will award college credit following the ACE recommendation. If ACE hasnb't evalutaed a course chances are no credit can be obtained.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AirDX

The only ones I know of that carry easily portable ACE credit are SOS, ACSC and AWC, noe of which are open to cadets.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

jeders

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 12, 2011, 12:16:04 AM
Could you count the test torward hours? Is there a way CAP allows this???

As was mentioned earlier, it's not up to CAP, it's up to the college. The best thing to do is go to the college admin people and talk to them about it. For example, when I was in college I was able to use my basic encampment as a substitute for my PE requirement. It's possible, especially now that our cadet materials are striving to achieve real academic standards, that your college may give some credit for it. It's also possible that they'll laugh you out of their office. You'll never know until you talk to them.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse