Main Menu

2008 Summer Board Video

Started by LtCol White, August 06, 2008, 12:29:02 PM

RiverAux

Proposal to make National CC and Vice CC ranks temporary and only permanent at end of their tours if approved by the NEC.  If not approved by NEC they revert to their permenant rank.  Courter and Chitwood supported.

Motion to ammend... if there isn't a vote in 18 months, the temp grade will automatically become permanent.  FAILED

Secret ballot requested for this vote.  APPROVED
-----
announcement -- marketing video has been updated.  apparently will have several sections (cadets, ops, etc.).  Sidebar by RiverAux -- always thought that it was more of an internal video rather than something that would be appropriate for the public. 

- Col. Beason won the space shuttle spot landing contest (must have had some sort of simulator set up).

RiverAux

Next meeting to be in San Antonio.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on August 08, 2008, 06:42:34 PM
One wing cc said not enough diff between khaki shorts and gray pants not enough to justify it.  APPLAUSE
MOTION FAILS!

Honestly, that is true.  The minor difference between a set of CAP shorts and CAP Pants is not enough to justify having it.  Really, if a fellow is in the process of dehydrating a set of short instead of pants isn't going to make a bit of difference.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

chiles

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 08, 2008, 07:12:52 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 08, 2008, 06:42:34 PM
One wing cc said not enough diff between khaki shorts and gray pants not enough to justify it.  APPLAUSE
MOTION FAILS!

Honestly, that is true.  The minor difference between a set of CAP shorts and CAP Pants is not enough to justify having it.  Really, if a fellow is in the process of dehydrating a set of short instead of pants isn't going to make a bit of difference.

You can make a bigger tent out of a pair of pants. ;D
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

RiverAux

You could look on this vote as part of their continuing efforts to protect us from sunburn by keeping those legs covered....

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 08, 2008, 06:44:07 PM
motion to eliminate substitution of the word "officer" to describe all senior members.  Never had been incorporated into regs, but was just for general use. 

APPROVED. 

THANK YOU LORD!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

dhon27

motion to eliminate substitution of the word "officer" to describe all senior members.  Never had been incorporated into regs, but was just for general use. 

APPROVED. 

I wasn't watching, but I take it that no replacement term for "officer" was proposed.  While I was not a big fan of using "officer", it did, at least, get us away from the geriatric sounding SM.

Eclipse

Quote from: dhon27 on August 08, 2008, 08:55:16 PM

APPROVED. 

I wasn't watching, but I take it that no replacement term for "officer" was proposed.  While I was not a big fan of using "officer", it did, at least, get us away from the geriatric sounding SM.

The whole mess was HWSRN's nonsense about "Senior Member" being connected with age.

Please. 

If you really believe it matters to anyone, well, whatever, but the term "Officer" already
has a full definition both inside and outside CAP, so it was wholly inappropriate.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Since no regulations were changed to use the term "officer" as a generic term for all senior members including senior members without grade, the 50 CAP NCOs, and actual CAP officers, we'll probably return to the old practice of referring them to all as "senior members". 

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 08, 2008, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: dhon27 on August 08, 2008, 08:55:16 PM

APPROVED. 

The whole mess was HWSRN's nonsense about "Senior Member" being connected with age.

Please. 

If you really believe it matters to anyone, well, whatever, but the term "Officer" already
has a full definition both inside and outside CAP, so it was wholly inappropriate.

I disagree that officer was "wholly inappropriate"....it did make a lot of assumption and was not really all that much to get bent out of shape over.  I mean....was anyone going to take away your birthday because you said SM or Senior Member instead of "Officer".....and of course "Officer" works better in sentances like "Col Jumpshack is a senior officer in the Civil Air Patrol" instead of "Senior Senior member".  When dealing with the outside world "officer" needed less explaining then "senior member".
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

It never bothered me.  Though not technically 100% accurate, it did describe almost all adults in CAP since the non-officer adult component of CAP is so incredibly small.  The only people not included were the 50 NCOs in all of CAP and a handful of new members who were going to be 2nd Lts in 6 months and didn't account for a large share of membership anyway.   

RiverAux

Speaking of NCOs, when they were discussing this issue, the slide said that they would be later considering allowing non-prior service members to enter at NCO rank.  However, when discussing it the Chief sort of said that it in the future it might be for all new adult members.  Thats not an exact quote and I'm about 95% sure it was just a slip of the tongue.

Another issue...I mentioned how Gen. Courter sort of talked over one wing commander who was starting to discuss how unprofessional it looks for CAP to have 12 different uniforms.  When she was stopping that train of thought, she said something along the lines of "we're not going to solve all of CAP's uniform problems today".  Its not her comment that got me, but some on this board might be interested to know that there is at least one Wing Commander out there who might like to cut those options down a bit. 

Capt Rivera

despite where the idea came from... i think Officer was a better term. People do understand what an officer is and know the difference between one that relates more to the police field or the profession of arms...

I don't like that guy either, but we shouldn't loose a good idea just because it came from him. I have had many people wonder about the term Senior Member and people have related it to Senior Citizen etc... The fact that it has nothing to do with age means nothing, in this instance like most, perception is everything.

We are a organization made up of Officers with a few random NCOs. (for whatever reason)

[No I am not forgetting our Cadet Officers... Isn't there a reason why we bother to say they are Cadet Officers? [C/Col not to be confused with Col...]

If I must use the term senior member... fine.... But I am a Officer in/of the Civil Air Patrol.  

Could you feel the pride in that statement? How many of you have heard pride in a young adult saying he/she was a Senior Member. I normally hear their voice drop in tone and loudness. [Don't get me wrong, being proud to be in CAP is not the same as someone sensing pride when certain things are said....  

Hopefully this made since to all. I know people resist change, and that CAP seems to be made up of a lot of OLD people who hate change. To those people, I say leave the Organization better then you left it. Be less concerned about keeping the term your had just because you had it, be more concerned with the legacy you leave... If you didn't know, your real legacy resides in those who are here today and will still be here well after you are gone....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Major Carrales

Since there is no "replacement," I will use the term "CAP Officer" until one is named.  CAP Officer is, in my opinion, the most correct term unless one uses something like "Air Force Auxiliarist" or "Civil Air Partrolperson."

"Senior Member" is so 20th Century... ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Actually it never changed to "Officer" in any official way in the first place. 

Eclipse

Anyone have a summary what they accomplished? 

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

New National CC
New National CV
No shorts in aircraft
Going forward with CAP NCOs
Card Type CO detectors mandatory in all aircraft
Chaplains now required (encouraged?) to go through CAP PD.
Tabled...who gets to approve special appointments to Capt.
Tabled?.....asking USAF to let us remove SSANs from MSA and TA's
CC and CV rank must be approved by NEC at the end of their terms for it be permanant.
"Officer" is no longer the generic term for an non-cadet CAP member....but it was never really the official term anyway so it was a do nothing vote.

That's all I can remember.

Did they talk about the line of succession for the CC?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

IceNine

Not only must CC/CV be affirmed, but the CV can now keep their star after their tenure (requires NEC approval)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

chaplains will have to take sls and clc at the appropriate points in their PD program to promote. 

flyerthom

Greetings from National and sunny FL (it's raining)! You guys already have all the news so I'll just send a shout out to all you folks.
TC