Operating Operationally.. Or something like that...

Started by The0-1Guy, November 17, 2014, 01:08:07 AM

The0-1Guy

Okay!  Been watching some videos on the Youtube and came across a Ranger who pointed me to Article 15 Clothing for some cool shirts... my question is- do we have a website for some esoteric CAP comedy T-shirts?  I'm looking for some neat shirts that CAP Operators could wear in public that would be funny to other CAP Operators and maybe start some positive conversation.  Yes, I could just go up and say "hello" to someone wearing a wing patch t-shirt, but I think it would be cool to start a convo or something with a laugh.  And no- I am not saying lets do shirts so people say "oh look at that guy, he must serve". I just want to see whats out there.

ANYWAYS, any ideas or designs? Post 'em up, I am sure if they are not out there, maybe one of us (a few of us) could get something going.  Something that is cadet/SM/parent appropriate and funny within the CAP community.
2nd. LT SM SWR-TX-413 Nighthawks "Eyes over Texas"
Eagle Scout
PADI Diver
Martial Artist

a2capt

If it actually says CAP on it, and there's a link, better buy it.. because the C&D will surely follow ;-)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

The0-1Guy

Funny shirts as in morale shirts kinda deal.  I mean, I've got squadron shirts and stuff, but something else... maybe I'm just exercising the fingers here for no good reason haha.
Eagle Scout
PADI Diver
Martial Artist

DoubleSecret

Quote from: a2capt on November 17, 2014, 01:16:11 AM
If it actually says CAP on it, and there's a link, better buy it.. because the C&D will surely follow ;-)

I'm imagining a command patch with "CEASE AND DESIST" and some royalty-free clip art of a fan instead of a propeller.

winterg

Had to fix it since i can't spell tonight.

The0-1Guy

I give up on spelling.  That was twice for me. Long day.
Eagle Scout
PADI Diver
Martial Artist

MSG Mac

U.S Ranger Corps with a bar across it would be good, unless Fat Tony has a C&D also.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The0-1Guy

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 17, 2014, 02:10:44 AM
U.S Ranger Corps with a bar across it would be good, unless Fat Tony has a C&D also.

as in through it? like a no-smoking kinda deal?
Eagle Scout
PADI Diver
Martial Artist

MSG Mac

Quote from: The0-1Guy on November 17, 2014, 02:12:07 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on November 17, 2014, 02:10:44 AM

as in through it? like a no-smoking kinda deal?

Of course
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

Why destroy icons under which many people died and suffered lots of days and nights?

Civil Defense was still used through the 60's to denote a very serious part of our life!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Cliff_Chambliss

There was a guy in Georgetown Texas back in the mid 1980's who purchased an ex-CAP 0-1 Birddog.  The plane still had the CAP seal on the vertical fin.  For whatever reason (maybe someone in CAP complained) he "modified" the seal by adding a decal over the center shield of the seal of an Armadillo on it's back drinking a Lone Star Beer.  It was an attention getter.  I can just imagine the C&D letters that would be flying in today's climate.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on November 17, 2014, 02:12:38 PM
There was a guy in Georgetown Texas back in the mid 1980's who purchased an ex-CAP 0-1 Birddog.  The plane still had the CAP seal on the vertical fin.  For whatever reason (maybe someone in CAP complained) he "modified" the seal by adding a decal over the center shield of the seal of an Armadillo on it's back drinking a Lone Star Beer.  It was an attention getter.  I can just imagine the C&D letters that would be flying in today's climate.

More likely it was part of the contract that he would remove the CAP identification
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

winterg

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 17, 2014, 01:47:31 PM
Why destroy icons under which many people died and suffered lots of days and nights?
Civil Defense was still used through the 60's to denote a very serious part of our life!

I assure you no disrespect was intended to the men and women who devoted so much to the Civil Defense.  "Parody has been a part of contemporary culture for centuries. Whether in literature, theater, film or art, rarely does a day go by when an example of a parody is not widely visible." (yourdictionary.com)  I realize that some see parodies as ridicule while others see it as a form of flattery.  My intention was to make light of the heavy handed use of C&D letters, not make a negative comment about the Civil Defense.

a2capt

Without parody, things would be pretty boring.

...and just think about how many of those units, detachments, operations, used parody in their own icons, icons that provided positive moral, served as cohesion builders, etc.

Just like Complete All Paperwork, Complaints Are Persistent, and the multitude of others we throw around daily.

winterg

I am recalling a certain Strategic Air Command patch I acquired on active duty in the early 90's that was widely worn off station.  THAT one is not suitable for this board!

brent.teal

There is the old standby.  "Support Search and Rescue....and get lost" 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

GroundHawg

Quote from: brent.teal on November 26, 2014, 04:14:58 AM
There is the old standby.  "Support Search and Rescue....and get lost"

Which is OK until you are on an actual missing person search and their family sees it. Then you have a very pissed off Dad asking if you think your funny and an crying emotional wreck Mom asking why someone would wear something like that.

wuzafuzz

I have to ask, what the heck is a "CAP Operator?"  We aren't ninjas delivering care packages to predators.  We are CAP members. The things we do in service of others are cool in their own right. Attempting to label ourselves with tactikewl terminology smacks of amateur hour when we strive to be recognized as volunteer professionals.

Rant off.

Fun tee shirts and the like can have their place.  Such things can also be detrimental to the CAP image or brand. Will your PAO and CC agree with the message you present?  Will parents of cadets be impressed?  Relatively few people know about CAP; we don't have a surplus of goodwill to offset "funny or die" moments.

Happy Thanksgiving!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

brent.teal

All good points.  I don't think I would condone anything "funny" with any CAP branding. 

In that vain something less offensive...maybe.

Search and Rescue we save yours....picture of donkey.

Not originaly I heard of this somewhere. 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.