First Aid Training for Ground Team

Started by Stonewall, January 02, 2019, 01:30:33 AM

BraveRifles19D

Contact one of the local volunteer fire departments that are a training center, explain who you are and that you would to become an instructor and run classes under their training center for your unit. You would need to take the instructor class again. Don't forget about the instructor student ratio, either.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

sarmed1

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on January 18, 2019, 05:22:59 PM
Contact one of the local volunteer fire departments that are a training center, explain who you are and that you would to become an instructor and run classes under their training center for your unit. You would need to take the instructor class again. Don't forget about the instructor student ratio, either.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Without some kind of intro by a mutually affiliated/known person the likelihood of success of this model is low.  For a multitude of reasons.  First is just the random guy shows up and says this this and this and wants something basically for free.  Secondly, everyone's area is different:  In my current area for example, 99% of the fire departments don't do anything medical except assist EMS, so they have usually minimal medical training as well, let alone be their own training site for any kind of first aid training.  If you find one, you are still likely to have to pay for the classes, instructor certification etc.  I would say top end they may agree to provide the training to the squadron at a limited cost.  Maybe eventually they might come around to allowing someone(s) from the local unit become an instructor once they get to know them. But, that's a big maybe; and likely a relationship cultivated after numerous courses and coordination (aka years)

Using that model, you are basically more likely to find assistance from a BSA troop or crew for their Wilderness First Aid certification from ECSI; but same thing, the likelihood that the local troop/crew is the actual training center vs the local council is also low and they aren't likely to allow you to be an instructor free reign under them.  (more of a mutual exchange of assistance, they provide first aid in exchange CAP helps provides assistance with SAR or aviation merit badge sort of deal)

MK

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Stonewall

A CAP Talk win!

I created this thread on 1 Jan and today, 9 March, we completed our first aid training through ECSI.

15 squadron members now meet the first aid training requirement for GTM-3.  The ECSI curriculum is easy to use and leaves a lot of flexibility to the  instructor. It meets the intent of CAP's requirement and covers everything I've ever taught or seen taught in a "basic first aid course."  I added some Ground Team related tasks to the curriculum like litter carrying and I went through building an individual first aid kit for being a Ground Team Member.

A big thumbs up emoji to my ANG Wing's Medical Group for loaning us manikins, AED trainer, and every bit of first aid training gear we could ever use. They even told us not to worry about replacing some of the expendable items like roller gauze, latex gloves, 4x4s, and even triangle bandages.  They had 20 CAT tourniquets so I went ahead and taught those, to include self application.

Since I've been in CAP, going on 32 years now, first aid training seems to be one of the more elusive tasks to get signed off for GTM. Not that it's hard to find, but to pay upwards of $100 for a 3 hour class is a steep request, so ECSI is definitely our go-to choice from now on.
Serving since 1987.

BraveRifles19D

CAP9907

it's actually in 60-3, correct. Still beats no 1st aid training at all..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Stonewall

Quote from: CAP9907 on March 10, 2019, 12:09:16 AM
You can do it all online now:

https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/classes/adult-child-and-baby-first-aid%2Fcpr%2Faed-online/05453059.html

Online first aid training does not meet the training requirement for Ground Team Member.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3When first aid or higher medical training is required for qualification in a particular specialty, the expectation is that the qualification course includes both knowledge and practical skills training; first aid courses taken on-line only are not acceptable...
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP9907 on March 10, 2019, 12:30:34 AM
it's actually in 60-3, correct. Still beats no 1st aid training at all..

It really doesn't, certainly not for initial for cadets who may well be exposed to the concepts
the first time.

Adult recurrency? Probably doesn't make any difference at CAP's level.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: Stonewall on March 09, 2019, 11:57:02 PM
A CAP Talk win!

I created this thread on 1 Jan and today, 9 March, we completed our first aid training through ECSI.

15 squadron members now meet the first aid training requirement for GTM-3.  The ECSI curriculum is easy to use and leaves a lot of flexibility to the  instructor. It meets the intent of CAP's requirement and covers everything I've ever taught or seen taught in a "basic first aid course."  I added some Ground Team related tasks to the curriculum like litter carrying and I went through building an individual first aid kit for being a Ground Team Member.

A big thumbs up emoji to my ANG Wing's Medical Group for loaning us manikins, AED trainer, and every bit of first aid training gear we could ever use. They even told us not to worry about replacing some of the expendable items like roller gauze, latex gloves, 4x4s, and even triangle bandages.  They had 20 CAT tourniquets so I went ahead and taught those, to include self application.

Since I've been in CAP, going on 32 years now, first aid training seems to be one of the more elusive tasks to get signed off for GTM. Not that it's hard to find, but to pay upwards of $100 for a 3 hour class is a steep request, so ECSI is definitely our go-to choice from now on.

Slow Clap....

NC Hokie

Quote from: Stonewall on March 09, 2019, 11:57:02 PM
A CAP Talk win!

Did you become an ECSI trainer?  If so, please share your experience (time commitment, costs, etc.) with the rest of us that might be tempted to go that route.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Stonewall

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 11, 2019, 07:00:00 PM
Did you become an ECSI trainer?  If so, please share your experience (time commitment, costs, etc.) with the rest of us that might be tempted to go that route.

So yeah. I worked with SARMED from this thread to become an ECSI instructor. It's a smart business idea for ECSI. While you can get certified as an instructor using their curriculum through their program, they will assess your qualifications from another organization and grant you instructor ECSI instructor status. I provided ARC First Aid/CPR/AED instructor as well as my Air Force Self Aid Buddy Care instructor certificate and was "blessed" to teach equivalent courses through ECSI. 

I'd check out ECSI's website to see how to get qualified as an instructor from scratch. I had previous quals that helped (EMT, Wilderness First Responder, TCCC, SABC, etc.).  I just couldn't do the ARC/AHA anymore because it was too much effort and the cost to the students wasn't worth it. Going through ECSI ultimately cost each student $15 for the book.  Boom, done!

Serving since 1987.

sarmed1

In general ECSI has two methods of instructor qualification. #1-Grandfathering based on current/previous instructor qualification.  This is easiest if being added into someone else's ECSI training center.  As its pretty much up to the training center administrator to determine what they are comfortable with "grandfathering" ; the Admin then determines what courses that instructor is qualified to teach.  #2-is an ECSI instructor trainer workshop, held by a qualified ECSI training center. Its a basic instructor course, add in some ECSI info.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel