Staff Aplication Review Boards

Started by jkr1901, August 10, 2011, 05:02:16 PM

jkr1901

I will be assuming command of my squadron over the winter break and part of that change is I am making my staff apply for the position they want to hold next year and i am holding review boards but I need things to judge them on. i will currently be reviewing their performance in their last staff position and my first shirt wants me to fill out a form 50 according to their rank. what else should I look for when discerning who gets what position?

Eclipse

Probably the most important thing is their understanding of the requirements, and their understanding of your expectations matches theirs.

Ask them what they think the job is, and let them answer completely.  If their answer doesn't match your expectation, tell them the expectation.
Their response is probably most of what you need to know regarding attitude.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I'm assuming you are are cadet, hence the references to CAPF 50 and a "First Shirt".  While rank is important in the cadet structure, don't overlook someone who is new and of lower rank that has a talent for a certain position.  Next question, what are you going to do if no one wants a certain job?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

I'd say the F 50 is a good thing to include.  Think up some "what if" scenarios that are relevant to your unit as well.  This would help you get an idea of what the applicants think they'd do in particular circumstances and how they think. 

MIKE

^ You do not do review boards without a CAPF 50.  See CAPR 52-16 5-2. d.
Mike Johnston

Ron1319

Mike, that's for promotion boards, not an interview.  You can hold interviews for staff positions with or without a Form 50.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

JC004

I got the impression the term "review boards" was being stretched a little to apply to plain ol' staff interviews.  I could be wrong.  I am most often wrong on Wednesdays because I hate Wednesdays.

jkr1901

OK, thank you all these are some great ideas and i probably will be implementing most of them with a twist of my own. just to  clarify, yes, these are staff interviews but they will have a feeling of review board and they are meant to make the cadet uncomfortable so that they don't gat slotted for a position that they cant take or do. i am requiring them to type out an outline of their position description according to 52-15 to ensure they understand what they need to do. on the question of what if no one applies for a staff position, it depends on what position it it. if its the cadet admin officer, then the flight commanders will do the tasks for their respective flight and report on the matter to the executive officer. on the important slots, like flight staff and the "top three", i do not worry because i have an inflow of newly minted chiefs that are eager for any staff position and can be slotted to do so.

Ron1319

Why is their level of comfort important?  Wouldn't you want someone who was comfortable in an interview to be a member of your staff instead of someone who was intimidated?  Also, I don't follow the statement about newly minted chiefs.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Eclipse

This should be about ability and understanding, not some nonsense about artificial stress.

"That Others May Zoom"