Check Pilots & Instructor Pilots - A Question

Started by NIN, January 09, 2022, 07:12:26 PM

NIN

IPs & CPs: Whats a good "average" number of instructional or check flights in a year in CAP? Do you know anybody with a LOT of instructional or check flights over the years? If so, how many?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

How many they give ... or are you asking how many instructional flights a CAP pilot should receive?

If the latter .... Thats like asking what is a typical CAP pilot?

One is 10,000 hours, Commercial and maybe CFII,  and flies daily. Gets his Flight Review done elsewhere, and only needs a CAP check pilot flight, every couple years,  to check boxes and make sure he/she remembers the "CAP Way" of doing things.

Another is a Private pilot, non-owner, that can't afford to rent planes anymore, so the only flying he actually does is what he can do in CAP. He could use a monthly flight with a CFI just to stay semi-proficient(?)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on January 09, 2022, 09:08:30 PM...what is a typical CAP pilot?

Flies 1-2 hours a month, with the occasional weekend or summer activity to supplement that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 09, 2022, 07:12:26 PMDo you know anybody with a LOT of instructional or check flights over the years?

You asked "over the years".

My wing had two IP/CPs that would routinely fly an entire airplane themselves, each, (i.e. 200-250 hours a year)
including the majority of the check rides in their areas (one was North, one was South, by chance).

Their achievements were legend and lasted 5-10 years.

One passed away and one moved to another wing (after some typical CAP nonsense that soured him).

And that was the story of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I was asking about basically ip/cp "right seat time."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

heliodoc

Being a CFI "wannabee"

I am surprised that none of this can be captured on WMIRS, by Region. and by CAPID through Stan/Eval.

But then....

coudano

Quote from: heliodoc on January 10, 2022, 01:29:49 PMBeing a CFI "wannabee"

I am surprised that none of this can be captured on WMIRS, by Region. and by CAPID through Stan/Eval.

But then....

The data is certainly there, there just isn't a way available to extract what you want in the format you want it.  On a lot of occasions in the past, i've wanted "show me a list of every sortie i've ever been on".   I can get a list of every mission i've been signed into, but not down to the individual air or ground sortie.

I can think of pilots who have been REALLY active instructing and evaluating (as in...  working as a professional CFI and also doing CAP stuff as well, while building for an airline application).  VERY active for quite a while (3 or 4 years???).  Less active now that the driving force isn't as driving.

Other pilots not as hot and heavy but have been doing it for like...   30 years...   Probably instructed and evaluated more.

Don't really know how to put NUMBERS on it, though.

It seems like having more student demand probably drives how much a pilot instructs or evaluates.
For CAP I think you also have to consider pilots who do things like NFA.
Also glider pilots, whose rides are typically shorter but they do a lot more of them.

etodd

I'm a CFI instructing a Cadet towards his Private. In WMIRS, I can go to Reports and then Mission Participation Log and choose Instructor and it'll pull up a list of all those sorties. It doesn't tabulate them.

Now, if I go to the Pilot Summary Report, none of the sorties show up for me. Even though I am PIC according to the FAA, WMIRS gives credit to whichever pilot is entered as left seat. So the student pilot gets the hours in WMIRS, not the Instructor.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."