Uniform of the Day

Started by captrncap, February 11, 2007, 04:54:27 AM

captrncap

I just want to get some feedback about Uniform of the Day.

If an event called for Blues and cadets showed in BDUs (because they don't own Blues), what would you do?

I've had Project Officers tell me to send the cadets home or tell them they can only participate as civilians if they don't have UOD and not as CAP members.

My opinion is that is about the Cadets and if that want to participate activity in events then UOD should not be deciding factor.

Jolt

I don't know, sir.  The uniform manual doesn't let you wear a uniform that's incomplete, but it's hard to get someone in a full uniform during their first few months which is also a critical time when they're still getting their first impressions of the program and are trying to decide if they made the right choice by joining.

One way we try to get around that is by picking the uniform that the most cadets can comply with so we don't have a problem (we've been marching in BDUs at the veteran's day parade for the past three years I've been here), but sometimes you have to wear blues or it just doesn't look right.  So we tell the cadets that don't have blues not to wear a uniform but to wear dressy civilian clothes to match with what everyone else is wearing (this usually just applies to awards ceremonies at the squadron, you usually have enough time to get into blues before you have to do something bigger than that if it's planned ahead).

The way I see it, you either have to break a rule in the uniform manual so that you can get someone in a uniform that's close, or exclude them from the activity and risk losing them in the long run because they get bored.  So I would say that it's okay to put up with a semi-completed uniform in the short term because if you don't, you might be risking whether they keep coming back in the long term.  I'll probably get jumped on for saying I would break that regulation, but that would be the leader's call if they thought being active was more important.

Maybe you could fix this by making a training flight or class for the newer cadets and sort of keep them isolated and give them their own program to start so they don't feel excluded and leave.

Just some thoughts.  Take into account the fact that I've been awake for about 19 hours, played a hockey game at 7:30, spent the rest of the day at a wing SAREX, and it's half past midnight over here. :)

lordmonar

Quote from: captrncap on February 11, 2007, 04:54:27 AM
I just want to get some feedback about Uniform of the Day.

If an event called for Blues and cadets showed in BDUs (because they don't own Blues), what would you do?

I've had Project Officers tell me to send the cadets home or tell them they can only participate as civilians if they don't have UOD and not as CAP members.

My opinion is that is about the Cadets and if that want to participate activity in events then UOD should not be deciding factor.

Spell out the uniform of the day.....if the even is really not appropriate for BDUs...substitute a shirt and tie or similar clothing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

Always specify UOD. If you're talking about an entry level event where you expect cadets that may legitimately not have blues, well then you have to be tolerant. The free uniform program is unable to get enough uniforms right now to supply our cadets. You have to cut some slack. Now if you're talking about an NCO program or even encampment, then they need to have it right.

MIKE

Cadets are required to posses the minimum basic service uniform per CAPM 39-1... BDUs are an additional optional uniform.

They should be in a CAP uniform.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.participating in or conducting the cadet program

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local,
wing/region, or national CAP functions (see note 1).

If all they have is the minimum basic service uniform... the only uniform they are required posses, yes.
Mike Johnston

davedove

I've found that most of the cadets in our unit try to get both blues and BDU's together as soon as they can.  There is always the situation of the new cadet not yet having the uniforms, and allowances are made.  Cadets without the daily uniform are not excluded from that evenings activities.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

capchiro

I allow new cadets to participate in our activites in nice school clothes if they have not had the time or money to purchase the basic blue uniform.  this is usually not a problem for long as the cadets can't wait to be uniform and in uniform.  A cadet will show up to see if he is interested with long hair, baggy pants and a t-shirt with not always such nice stuff on it.  He shows up the next week with his application filled out, hair cut and in nice clothes.  They always surprise me.  They really do want to belong and fit in.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Jolt

Yes, sir, I've seen that before.  It really is surprising.

SAR-EMT1

I admit to being slightly confused.
What about  NHQ's free cadet uniform program?
The cadet application form should include a clothing form the cadet could mail in OR take to the X and turn in for a free set of BLUES. Absolutely free of charge.
So I am curious to hear you mention that cadets cant afford blues.
BDUs on the other hand are another matter, but still- easily procured from DRMO or the Amn Attic etc.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

brasda91

It would depend on the situation.  Is the meeting just one of your regular "Blues" nights or is it a formal meeting/occassion in "public"?

For my squadron I would prefer the following.  If it is a regular meeting and a cadet doesn't have his/her Blues, then BDU's would be o.k.  If we're meeting in a public place, attending a ceremony, or something of that significance, then it would be Blues or dressy civilian clothes.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mprokosch11

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 14, 2007, 07:35:52 PM
I admit to being slightly confused.
What about  NHQ's free cadet uniform program?
The cadet application form should include a clothing form the cadet could mail in OR take to the X and turn in for a free set of BLUES. Absolutely free of charge.
So I am curious to hear you mention that cadets cant afford blues.
BDUs on the other hand are another matter, but still- easily procured from DRMO or the Amn Attic etc.
One cadet has been in for about 6 months now and has never recieved his free blues uniform. I got my blues very quickly when I joined.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

MIKE

There is no guarantee that you will get a FCU/CUP issue.  It depends on wither or not there are funds remaining in the program when your voucher is processed.  No money, no uniform.  If you don't get a free one, then you are supposed to buy it.
Mike Johnston

brasda91

Quote from: MIKE on February 23, 2007, 04:01:10 AM
There is no guarantee that you will get a FCU/CUP issue.  It depends on wither or not there are funds remaining in the program when your voucher is processed.  No money no, uniform.  If you don't get a free one, then you are supposed to buy it.

Exactly.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

DNall

Quote from: penguinmaster113 on February 23, 2007, 03:22:46 AM
One cadet has been in for about 6 months now and has never recieved his free blues uniform. I got my blues very quickly when I joined.
There's been notices out for months that things are on backorder with the manufacture & will not be cleared up till April. Particularly hats & shirts are a problem, and of course they won't be issuing shoes anymore.

Calif Ken

We are supposed to be TEACHING uniformity as a part of Cadet training but should not be so rigid in its enforcement that we work against the best interests of the program or the individual.  Some flexibility is in order so that we can accommodate a reasonable list of exceptions when circumstances prevent everyone from wearing the UOD.

\This might include some form of motivational incentive for being correct and certainly shouldn't allow for inappropriate dress in public but with all of the program/funding flaws and other potential roadblocks that might prevent an otherwise well-meaning Cadet from complying, we should build-in alternatives that serve the meaning if not the letter of the directive. The intent is to enhance uniformity.

We issue squadron T-shirts and baseball hats to all our new members so they have a decent and somewhat uniform alternative to wear for meetings and casual events from the get-go.

Stonewall

If the UOD is blues, then cadets need to show up in blues.  They shouldn't be wearing their first stripe if they don't have a full set of short-sleeve blues.  Its even easier now because CAP doesn't require a wing patch.

I have never allowed cadets under my command to wear partial uniforms.  At the same time, we just don't say "hey, you need a uniform".  We make an effort to teach them properly and play a role in them getting their uniforms.

Prior to graduating T-Flight (9 week basic cadet training program) they must be inspected in one complete uniform.  Prior to any outside activity, other than weekly meetings, they must graduate T-Flight.

Problem solved.
Serving since 1987.