official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

alexalvarez

Welcome, Hammer. I hope you learn more about CAP from this site. I have learned a great deal.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Hammer

Quote from: alexalvarez on April 04, 2006, 04:01:32 AM
Welcome, Hammer. I hope you learn more about CAP from this site. I have learned a great deal.

Thank you sir!  I hope that I learn alot also.

SER Safety

New in CAP Talk
all the way from Miami, FLA
Great stuff

hope the cadets do not mind as SM a part of the group
Ernie Manzano, Major
SER
Director of Safety

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

shorning

Quote from: SER Safety on April 05, 2006, 07:31:41 PM
New in CAP Talk
all the way from Miami, FLA
Great stuff

hope the cadets do not mind as SM a part of the group

Welcome!  There are more seniors here than cadets.  At least more that post.

cadetnelson

Hello.  I am just joining the Civil Air Patrol now at age 17.  Do you think this is too late to get meaningful participation in the cadet program?  I've wanted to join since I was 11 but other activities always prevented it.  I really want to go far in the program and be promoted in rank and I'm willing to do the work.  Well, hello everyone...... 8)
C/Amn Nelson

Pace

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 06, 2006, 09:57:38 PM
Hello.  I am just joining the Civil Air Patrol now at age 17.  Do you think this is too late to get meaningful participation in the cadet program?  I've wanted to join since I was 11 but other activities always prevented it.  I really want to go far in the program and be promoted in rank and I'm willing to do the work.  Well, hello everyone...... 8)
Work hard and progress at a level where you're learning and applying the material in the program.  I joined 3 months before my 18th birthday, but since I was a junior in high school with 2 1/2 years of AFJROTC under my belt, I had all the basics squared away.  I just picked up on the CAP specific stuff and moved along.  Even though I did use the AFJROTC accelerated promotions, there were a few places were I stayed in one achievement for a few months to gain experience.  In the end, I earned Eaker just about "on time" with respect to the normal TiG progression.

If I had been in high gear and wouldn't have taken so long getting to Eaker, I would have had 2 more chances to take the Spaatz...and would have had it since I Aced! the Leadership, passed the essay, and barely failed the AE (by 2-3 questions).  As for PT, I spent so much time studying I didn't get around to working out and the day of the exam I was exhausted (I know, not too smart).  Oh well, some things just aren't meant to be.
Lt Col, CAP

Nick

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I had a frickin' amazingly motivational response written, and it didn't post!

Oh well, let's see how much of it I can remember:

Let me say that as someone who joined at 17 years old after 3 years of AFJROTC, don't do what I did.  I got burned out of being a cadet and became a senior member shortly after I turned 18.  Don't do it.  Today, I regret making that decision, knowing that I could have easily achieved the Spaatz Award before turning 21. 

Yes, there is plenty of time for you to get meaningful participation out of the program.  So, here is my advice to you:

1) As one of the oldest cadets, you will be looked to as a role-model by the younger cadets.  Learn the regulations, know your material (aerospace, leadership, drill and ceremonies, uniforms), ask questions, do everything you can to better yourself as a follower and as a leader.

2) Be a positive role-model.  Be polite, courteous, respectful, responsible -- to yourself and to those with whom you work, and always be willing to help and mentor your fellow cadets.

3) Volunteer for everything you reasonably can (giving work and/or school priority).  Attend every activity you reasonably can.  Accept every opportunity for jobs, assignments, duties, etc. you reasonably can.  Bottom line: Don't look back on your cadet life as a senior member and say "I wish I got a chance to do that when I was a cadet."

4) Listen to all the advice anyone who has been in the program offers you ... but know the difference between advice to hold onto, and what to dismiss, and remember advice is a form of nostalgia.  Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for what it's worth.  One day down the road, you as a senior member will be giving that same advice to your cadets.

5) In four short years -- the day after you turn 21 and pin on Captain (since you will earn your Spaatz award), don't forget where you came from.  You will be a senior member -- you will have the responsibility to view the cadet program differently; as an administrator of the program and not as a participant in it -- but never forget what it's like to be a cadet.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

MIKE

I joined when I was 16 and managed to get my Earhart before turning 21.  I think there is more to the Cadet Program than just doing the stuff that gets you promoted though... At least there should be.  I hope you find that there is more to the program than getting to [Insert Milestone Award Here] before turning into a pumpkin.
Mike Johnston

alexalvarez

Cadet Nelson, Seventeen is not old. You will have many opportunities to experience, advance and participate in positive activities. God Bless.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

cadetnelson

Thanks for your replies and kind words.  Let me clarify.  I do not wish to breeze through the program simply moving from promotion to promotion.  I just do want to make sure that I get everything out of it that I can.  So, I will find a nice happy medium so I'm not rushing through, nor am I just sitting around  taking in the scenery.

I'm glad the general concensus is that 17 is not too old.  I was kind of nervous about that part....... ;D
C/Amn Nelson

jstadter

Hi,  I Joined CAP a year ago and am loving it.  We just flew two missions (Sat. and Sun.) following the Red River from Fargo, ND to Pembina, ND surveying floodwaters.  We used our SDIS system to send the pictures we took to various Emergency Services managers.  This is what CAP is all about!

Look forward to participation in this site.
John Stadter, 1LT CAP - ESO, AEO - Red River Squadron ND046  Fargo, ND

cadetnelson

C/Amn Nelson

Pace

Welcome!!
Quote from: jstadter on April 10, 2006, 07:03:34 PM
We just flew two missions (Sat. and Sun.) following the Red River
You should drop an ELT in an air tight (and air filled) container and send it down the Red River.  See how far it gets downstream.  If no one finds it throughout the country, I'll be happy to pick it up in Shreveport, LA and take the find credit.  ;D
Lt Col, CAP

jstadter

This Red River flows north into Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba.
John Stadter, 1LT CAP - ESO, AEO - Red River Squadron ND046  Fargo, ND

Pace

Quote from: jstadter on April 10, 2006, 07:31:20 PM
This Red River flows north into Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba.
Awww.  And I was so close...  >:(
Lt Col, CAP

Zonekeeper

After lurking here for three years, I've finally decided to register. Haven't been a member for two years, but I'm thinking of starting back up as a senior member once I start college. Oh, and hi Captain Pace! Long time no see.
C. Gailfoil

shorning

Quote from: Zonekeeper on May 01, 2006, 08:42:10 PM
After lurking here for three years,...

Wow, has this sight really been here three years? ???

Zonekeeper

Sorry, should have clarified. I started lurking around the old board that shut down before this one opened.
C. Gailfoil