Getting SQTR signed off.

Started by esilassy, September 19, 2009, 02:15:10 PM

esilassy

Why do I fell like I need to sacrifice my oldest child to get items signed off on my SQTR's?  I know you need to actually know the stuff, and I'm fine with that, but give me the opportunity to train.  First aid quals?  Get a big shoulder shrug.  I've think I might actually get my radio quals soon, thanks to one of the actually organized members in our squadron.  And what about the 2 missions you need to get signed off on?  Is there any way to get signed off unless you get 2 actual missions?  Our squadron has been active for 2 years, and we have had a whopping 2 missions.  I recieved credit for one, but wan't a member for the other one.  Oh, this is for GT3. 

arajca

Have your unit ES officer or commander take it up with your group or wing ES officer. Unfortunately, many units operate as independent islands and never bother to let anyone else know when they're doing training.

For first aid, if your Red Cross or equivalent first aid training, give a copy of your un-expired card to your unit for their files and enter it in the online SQTR.

If you have someone from outside the unit giving the radio training, ask them if they know of any other units doing GTM training. 

Mission signoffs can be real world, exercises, or training classes.

esilassy

Thanks for the info!

you need a mission number to get signed off on right?  our ES officer said it was really hard to get a mission number for training, which is why we don't get mission numbers.......  Take that how you will.

*******I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT I AM UPSET WITH ANYONE OR ANYTHING!!*********

I'm just hardwired to get things done.  I hate waiting on what seems to be others. 

arajca

For task sign-offs, a mission number is not required. For mission participation, it generally is, however, it does not have to be a real world mission, it can be an exercise. For training missions, it takes filling out paperwork and planning. you'd need an operations plan (search for 'Ops Plan' here for examples) which includes safety and communications plans. Submit it and a CAPF 10(?) to request a mission number. If you are doing a unit training mission, you can apply for an "unfunded" mission number, which means no AF money is spent on it.

esilassy

RiverAux

It is very easy to get an unfunded AFAM mission number for a local training exercise.  If your ES officer thinks its hard, he may not be the right person for the job.  That is unless your Wing has imposed some crazy requirements of its own that makes it hard to do. 

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2009, 04:21:12 PM
It is very easy to get an unfunded AFAM mission number for a local training exercise.  If your ES officer thinks its hard, he may not be the right person for the job.  That is unless your Wing has imposed some crazy requirements of its own that makes it hard to do.

My wing requires an MSO or MSO(T) to be present for the training. Since there is only one within 100 miles of us I have not been able to secure a number yet. It's rather frustrating.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

I assume you're working on the obvious solution to that issue? 

Of course, if you get an unfunded mission number there will be an IC for the mission and they can fulfill that role (just as they do for ELT-type missions where I've never heard of an MSO being assigned). 

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2009, 01:48:13 AM

Of course, if you get an unfunded mission number there will be an IC for the mission and they can fulfill that role (just as they do for ELT-type missions where I've never heard of an MSO being assigned).

The obvious solution requires ICS 300 and 400 and that's not an easy thing to get done. The problem I have is the IC need not be present but the MSO MUST be on site where the training occurs. The closest IC is around 100 miles from me. There is no easy way to get this done.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Further, how does your wing handle the monthly proficiency AFAMS?  There's rarely if ever IC's or other staff involved in those.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2009, 02:15:31 AM

Further, how does your wing handle the monthly proficiency AFAMS?

I know they have a monthly mission number but other than that I have no idea.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

heliodoc

MSO's onsite at ICS 300 and ICS 400??

Who came up with that?  Meeting the FEMA hour requirements are what should be the driving factor and certificates indicating such

What CAPer dreamed THAT up?  FEMA courses taught by folks who have had L449  or M410 NWCG or have been through that gamut is all you should need.  Some or most VFD's and EMA's are teaching this and CAP ought to abide by that......just another CAP and CAPer hurdle to keep somebody at the Wing happy

MSO on site??  Nonsense!!   Let see that in a Wing reg....

davidsinn

Quote from: heliodoc on September 21, 2009, 02:28:13 AM
MSO's onsite at ICS 300 and ICS 400??

Who came up with that?  Meeting the FEMA hour requirements are what should be the driving factor and certificates indicating such

What CAPer dreamed THAT up?  FEMA courses taught by folks who have had L449  or M410 NWCG or have been through that gamut is all you should need.  Some or most VFD's and EMA's are teaching this and CAP ought to abide by that......just another CAP and CAPer hurdle to keep somebody at the Wing happy

MSO on site??  Nonsense!!   Let see that in a Wing reg....

You're a bit confused. I need an MSO to get a mission number. If I grow my own I need that person to get 300 and 400 per the MSO SQTR. Two separate problems that work together to screw me over.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on September 21, 2009, 02:16:49 AM

Time to look into that - there's a monthly mission number posted for aircrews to fly self-funded proficiency sorties that can be found in the back of the regulations.  They have to fly the profiles, and complete all the requisite paperwork, etc., but all that is needed is gas money and a qualified crew.

At least one of these involves air-to-ground coordination, which needs a UDF or Ground team to accomplish. 

These sorties can be used for both initial and recurrent mission credit (at least in my wing). Pretty much ended any issues of "not enough missions".  The USAF is heartily encouraging our people flying these profiles and getting B-mission status so that out aircrew get more protection and benefits in the event of something "exciting" happening.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2009, 02:31:20 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on September 21, 2009, 02:16:49 AM

Time to look into that - there's a monthly mission number posted for aircrews to fly self-funded proficiency sorties that can be found in the back of the regulations.  They have to fly the profiles, and complete all the requisite paperwork, etc., but all that is needed is gas money and a qualified crew.

At least one of these involves air-to-ground coordination, which needs a UDF or Ground team to accomplish. 

These sorties can be used for both initial and recurrent mission credit (at least in my wing). Pretty much ended any issues of "not enough missions".  The USAF is heartily encouraging our people flying these profiles and getting B-mission status so that out aircrew get more protection and benefits in the event of something "exciting" happening.

That's good for ground team. What about training for flightline? My airport twice requested our support for fly-ins and we couldn't do it because I couldn't get a mission number because I couldn't get an MSO that was available. I'm at a loss on how to train my people because you can only do so much in the classroom before you need to get out and handle an aircraft.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

esilassy

You guys (and gals) get MONTHLY mission numbers????  I'm moving. It seems like no one wants to go the extra mile so us newer people can get things signed off.  Like I said, our squadron is only 2 years old and our commander is GT1, and we have only had 2 actual missions and no training missions...............
I'm one of, if not the youngest Senior Member in our unit.  Wouldn't it make sense that they would want to help me get certified because of that?  I'm in ok physical shape, but I have a lot of years left in me to devote to CAP.  Man, I'm a whiny bi&^h!  Must redirect negative to positive...... 

I love CAP!!

davidsinn

Quote from: esilassy on September 21, 2009, 01:56:32 PM
You guys (and gals) get MONTHLY mission numbers????  I'm moving. It seems like no one wants to go the extra mile so us newer people can get things signed off.  Like I said, our squadron is only 2 years old and our commander is GT1, and we have only had 2 actual missions and no training missions...............
I'm one of, if not the youngest Senior Member in our unit.  Wouldn't it make sense that they would want to help me get certified because of that?  I'm in ok physical shape, but I have a lot of years left in me to devote to CAP.  Man, I'm a whiny bi&^h!  Must redirect negative to positive...... 

I love CAP!!

AFAIK those numbers are for air sorties only. I've never tried to do ground work on one. I'll try and figure that out later in the fall.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on September 21, 2009, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: esilassy on September 21, 2009, 01:56:32 PM

I love CAP!!

AFAIK those numbers are for air sorties only. I've never tried to do ground work on one. I'll try and figure that out later in the fall.

They are primarily focused on aircrew proficiency, however as I said, other personnel involved can also receive credit.  Some of this requires some creativity and work with your Wing staff to make things happen. 

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

Here is some "creativity" for davidsinn Wing

DO the !@@# job or really find some one who can.  Some of the "volunteers" who think that wearing the uniform does not come with some responsibility.  There ought to be some volunteer fanny being kicked by some of those Wing GOB's who can not get their butts out of the chair let alone Wing HQ

Creativity??  That IS the reason CAP's "training standards" are not always recognized by all

The organization can not, in some cases, take its own SQTR's seriously enough to get accomplished

RiverAux

I hate to say it, but heliodoc has a point here.  Put together an OPPLAN and request that Wing Staff find a MSO for you and send them down to the exercise.