Radio procedure

Started by RiverAux, November 23, 2008, 04:08:05 PM

lordmonar

All I know is that when I'm done passing my message...I say "out".

If Mission Base has new traffic...they can call me up.  I got better things to do than wait for the "heirarchy" to decide if they have a message for me.

Lord Monar...out.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

It's a communications network, not a control system.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Duke Dillio

Ground Team One this is Mission Base, OVER.
This is Ground Team One, OVER.
Ground Team One, please contact Ground Team Two on this net, OVER.
WILCO, OVER.
Mission Base, OUT.
BREAK, Ground Team Two this is Ground Team One, OVER.
This is Ground Team Two, OVER.
Tag, you're it, OVER.
Roger, I'm it, OVER.
Ground Team One, OUT.
Ground Team Two, OUT.

This is the way that I was taught to communicate in CAP and in the Army.  Both units are supposed to say out so that other operators on the net know that the transmission is complete.  As shown above, one unit can exit the conversation while the other is still on the net communicating with a different unit.  Let me know if I am wrong here so I can correct my deficiencies.

SarDragon

Got everything right except the BREAK. That's a proword used only in formal traffic to indicate a break between two sections in the message.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I was taught by CAP to use BREAK as Sqn72DO indicated. 

Eclipse

That's in pretty typical use in my parts as well, but as with all things CAP, if its not right, when you find out you stop doing it...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Proof that it isn't right? 

lordmonar

No....Mission base completed the traffic session with GT1.

GT1 is now initiating a new traffic session with GT2...so no "break" is required.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on November 25, 2008, 03:32:40 PM

Quote from: CAPR 100-3 Attch 1BREAK = I hereby indicate the separation of the text from all other portions of this message.

So if you could do:

GT1 this is MB OVER
MB this is GT1 go ahead OVER
Please contact GT2 on this frequency and relay message OVER
WILCO...ready to copy OVER
Message follows BREAK Procede to rally point make contact with CF2701 via VHF and wait for further instructions BREAK report back to this station when message has been passed OVER
I READ BACK Precede to fally point make to with CF2701 via VHF and wait for ruther instructions OVER
That's a good copy OUT
GT1 OUT

The breaks indicated the message portion that is to be relayed to GT2.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 25, 2008, 03:32:40 PM

I don't know whether it is or not, I've pinged my Wing's DC to see what his take on it is.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

One problem - "BREAK" is used in formal message traffic, which by definition includes the preamble (along with Date/Time Group, etc) which is omitted here.

Properly, it should be:

Ground Team One this is Mission Base, OVER.
This is Ground Team One, OVER.
Ground Team One, please contact Ground Team Two on this net, OVER.
WILCO, OVER.
Mission Base, OUT.
BREAK, Ground Team Two this is Ground Team One, OVER.
This is Ground Team Two, OVER.
Tag, you're it, OVER.
Roger, I'm it, OVER.
Ground Team One, OUT.
Ground Team Two, OUT.

The BREAK, even if it meant what the OP intended, would not be necessary since Mission Base is already OUT and is not expecting a reply -- therefore there is no need to "BREAK" a contact that no longer exists.  Other stations on the Net should (we hope) have heard the instructions and realized that Ground Team One will attempt to follow orders and contact Ground Team Two.

Eclipse

When I use it I don't say out, that's the point.  "Out" means you're done and the channel is clear.

GT1 to mission base, over
This is mission base, over.
Request position GT2, over.
Unknown, try contacting them direct, over.
Wilco, BREAK

GT2 this is GT1, over

etc., etc.,

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

This is starting to sound like the baseball announcer who, on a long fly ball toward the fair pole, said...

QuoteIs it fair? Is it foul? It is!

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. This is Lowland 325, out.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 25, 2008, 08:46:10 PM
This is starting to sound like the baseball announcer who, on a long fly ball toward the fair pole, said...

Are you the dugout, the warm-up mound, the on-deck circle, or the hot dog guy?  There's a hierarchy to these things you know!   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2008, 08:57:28 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 25, 2008, 08:46:10 PM

Are you the dugout, the warm-up mound, the on-deck circle, or the hot dog guy?  There's a hierarchy to these things you know!   ;D

I'm the ball.

ol'fido

Lost 3, this is Lost 1, over.

This is Lost 3. Go ahead Lost 1, over.

Roger, Lost 3, are you lost too, over............ :D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BuckeyeDEJ

"Highball four-five, this is Highball two-one, over."
"Highball two-one, this is Highball four-five, over."
"I'm looking for Major Roger Oveur, over."
"Major who?"
"Major Oveur, over."
"You don't need to say over twice, over."
"I didn't, over."
"So who are you looking for? Over."
"Major Roger Oveur, over."
"Roger, you're looking for a major. Which one? Over."
"That's his name, over."

MIKE

Mike Johnston