Airborne loudspeakers

Started by RiverAux, February 27, 2008, 03:35:37 AM

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on February 28, 2008, 03:31:41 AM
While we are adding loud speakers we should get this too:

http://www.sign-in-sky.com/

A lot more visible than the one red, one green and one white light and two strobes.

What the heck is that? a Blimp? kinda hard to see it.  You'd need a string of aircraft of some kind to kite fly a warning long enough to be understood :)

_

Quote from: mynetdude on February 28, 2008, 05:02:43 AM

A lot more visible than the one red, one green and one white light and two strobes.

What the heck is that? a Blimp? kinda hard to see it.  You'd need a string of aircraft of some kind to kite fly a warning long enough to be understood :)

Go to the website and click on the videos.

sardak

QuoteI just have one question, if the sherrif was IC, then why/how did OSP get involved? ... I KNOW OSP was involved, there was a lot of talk about this from our end because everybody kept saying "how does OSP fit into SAR?"
This is from the Oregon State Sheriffs Association Review of the Kim search, part II, page 16:
The duties of OSP and the duties of involved Sheriff's Offices' were not clearly understood by all personnel involved in the mission. OSP took the lead in the coordination of investigation information.
There are more specifics on pages 9 and 16 about why they did, the confusion it created and why an OSP Lt was at times acting IC.  Here is the link to the report:
http://www.co.klamath.or.us/sheriff.html

Further discussion on the Kim search should be held in one of these threads
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1130.0 Kim search
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1419.0 Kim search report

Now back to airborne loudspeakers and signs-in-sky.

Mike

mynetdude

ah so I was right OSP did have IC command at times. (Just wanted to clarify cuz someone else said just the sherrif had IC in a post above my last one before this).

Indeed OSP involvement did create some confusion, which also lead to problems getting CAP involved as well.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: mynetdude on February 28, 2008, 05:02:43 AM

Actually it's a Cessna with a light board (similar to what a blimp has) on the bottom. Aside from the videos on the web site, one of these actully flew over my house about a week ago, it appeared flying at about the same speed CAP aircraft do on missions, and I could read the message very clearly (something about hair removal) Besides we wouldn't be using it to deliver a long drawn out message, more of a "Hey you, look at me!" Not sure how it would effect the observer though.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Well I can see ONE advantage to using this light board, speakers are great as they can be used night or day... the person doesn't need to be able to see the aircraft and as long as the sound is audible clearly who needs to see the plane?

The ONLY advantage I can see to using the light board is IF you know your search target is deaf, then that has some merit but light boards don't seem to be a viable option for day searching.  If you are completely deaf I don't think a speaker that can be heard 3 miles away is going to do you any good.

Flying Pig

Thats cool, and when we aren't on SARs we can rent sign space and fly banners up and down the beach.

SJFedor

Plus, since these plane mounted speakers broadcast off an MP3 player, you just KNOW someone will end up blasting some good tunes.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SJFedor on February 28, 2008, 08:42:32 AM
Plus, since these plane mounted speakers broadcast off an MP3 player, you just KNOW someone will end up blasting some good tunes.

I can see my 2b now...

"Major Kachenmeister, on a proficiency flight in a CAP aircraft, used the loudspeaker system to play 'Flight of the Valkyries' while improperly and illegally using the light board to advertise 'Bike Night' at a Hooter's restaurant..."
Another former CAP officer

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 28, 2008, 01:46:47 PM

I can see my 2b now...

"Major Kachenmeister, on a proficiency flight in a CAP aircraft, used the loudspeaker system to play 'Flight of the Valkyries' while improperly and illegally using the light board to advertise 'Bike Night' at a Hooter's restaurant..."

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've been on the ground when airborne loudspeakers were being used.  It was darned impressive.  The recording called the person by name and gave directions to the nearest road.  I wasn't being looked for, but I was close to the edge of being lost (SF School - moving 12 nights alone, 15-35 km/night through the woods).  It gave me a great deal of confidence that I wasn't in the wrong location AND the lost soldier was found.  That's a powerful tool.

If Mr Kim would have heard that from the air, just hearing that someone was looking for him might have allowed him to gather something from deep inside and the outcome might have been different.

GC

Al Sayre

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 28, 2008, 01:46:47 PM

I can see my 2b now...

You could have even more fun by turning off all the lights and then flying over the local churches on Sunday evening... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Larry Mangum

Back to the airborne loud speaker system. I was present when it was demonstrated at the Pacific Region DO's Conference and did not find it that easy to understand.  We where all standing outside of the McMinnvile Museum where the Spruce Goose is housed in a fairly flat area. The aircraft flew maybe a mile to the  north of our position.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Gunner C

Quote from: wawgcap on February 28, 2008, 07:04:34 PM
Back to the airborne loud speaker system. I was present when it was demonstrated at the Pacific Region DO's Conference and did not find it that easy to understand.  We where all standing outside of the McMinnvile Museum where the Spruce Goose is housed in a fairly flat area. The aircraft flew maybe a mile to the  north of our position.

It's all in the watts and the speaker.  The speaker that was used when I heard it was about three feet high, built into the side of an OH-58, and was powered by a pretty big amp.  The one that I saw at the Nat Board meeting was pretty small (at least that was my impression).  It's been a long time since I took acoustics in college, but a small speaker has a difficult (perhaps impossible) time in putting out lower frequency sound.  The higher freq sound would have a difficult time in carrying over distances.  That may be a limitation of the "low budget" system that CAP would need to use.  (I may have the physics backwards on this.)

I think it's still a great idea, it just needs some development or needs to be used within its limitations.

GC

MikeD

Doh!  Beaten to the joke by like a day or so....

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 28, 2008, 01:46:47 PMI can see my 2b now...

You owe me a keyboard!  ;D

a2capt

The sign is the same deal thats on the Goodyear Blimp - obviously shorter.

When it's attached to a C172 the thing looks like a bi-plane. It goes wingtip to wingtip. The aircraft operates in the utility category with a pilot and sign operator only.

Flying it .. is kinda interesting. :)

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 05, 2008, 11:13:43 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 28, 2008, 01:46:47 PMI can see my 2b now...

http://resdon111.googlepages.com/Speaker.swf

Gunner C

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 23, 2008, 09:02:40 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on March 05, 2008, 11:13:43 PM

http://resdon111.googlepages.com/Speaker.swf

:D