NYPD Auxiliary Officers killed.

Started by Eclipse, March 15, 2007, 02:24:12 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 19, 2007, 10:00:56 AM
Quote from: A.Member on March 17, 2007, 01:22:49 PM
What are we going to do, roll in on a marijuana field and let loose with a little 20 mike-mike? 

Napalm would be a whole lot more effective on a pot field... ;D
Would either fit on a 172, or 182?
;) ;D ;D ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

If you can put a 50 lb Iron case bomb on a Piper Cub or Aeronca Champ, I'm pretty sure you can hang a couple off of a 172
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RogueLeader

Cool, now if there was someway to get around that tiny bit of hang up that makes us a Benevolent org.  oh well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 20, 2007, 05:48:30 PM
Cool, now if there was someway to get around that tiny bit of hang up that makes us a Benevolent org.  oh well.
Means benevolent to the interests of the US. Rescuing Americans is hardly benevolent to al Quaida. Dropping bombs on bad guys is benevolent to US interests. Not that we should be dropping bombs, but defending your team & crash survivors from the wildlife is certainly benevolent.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on March 20, 2007, 07:21:32 PM
Not that we should be dropping bombs,
why not, it'd be a real blast.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

You remember your CAP history... before coming into the AAF where we could be controlled & put to good use, CAP dropped sandbags on defense materiel factories to demonstrate vulnerability. I wouldn't recommend changing the reg about dropping things out of CAP planes unless you want to get your tail blown off, and I can't think of anyone or anything we need to be bombing... So back to reality... concealed or open carry IAW state law for average civilians is what we're talking about here, pref concealed.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on March 20, 2007, 07:35:06 PM
You remember your CAP history... before coming into the AAF where we could be controlled & put to good use, CAP dropped sandbags on defense materiel factories to demonstrate vulnerability. I wouldn't recommend changing the reg about dropping things out of CAP planes unless you want to get your tail blown off, and I can't think of anyone or anything we need to be bombing... So back to reality... concealed or open carry IAW state law for average civilians is what we're talking about here, pref concealed.
You know, we should be dropping sandbags, or penetrate closed air space to help drill for terrorists attacks, I know that there was some of that done before.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

Quote from: DNall on March 20, 2007, 07:35:06 PM
I wouldn't recommend changing the reg about dropping things out of CAP planes unless you want to get your tail blown off...
C'mon, where's your sense of adventure? 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DNall

Stowed right there next to the part that don't want the tail blown off.  :P

Pylon

Discussion about carrying sidearms has been split to a new thread.  Carry on with discussion about the NYPD Auxiliary Police Officers who were killed here.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Can we also have a seperate thread for discussing specs to mount napalm canisters to the Skylane for CD work?  ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

afgeo4

Sorry for bringing the thread to its topic, but I attended the funerals of both slain A/POs. My mother was friends with A/PO Marshalik's mother actually.

The NYPD Auxiliary is not allowed to carry firearms because it isn't needed. The Department does not have the resources to properly train all of its auxiliaries (there are thousands) to properly use firearms. It also doesn't have the funds to properly train them in escalation of force. The department is alreday over 30,000, which is why all those current and former officers from departments that are smaller than 1000 officers don't quite get why our Auxiliaries are unarmed.

The job of an NYPD Auxiliary is to be the eyes and ears of the NYPD on the streets and now in the NYC Subways (recent stand-up of the transit division auxiliary). They are equipped with a radio, a night stick (collapsible batons are no longer authorized as there was misuse of such equipment by members in past), handcuffs, and a citation book. The procedures call for the Auxiliary Police Officer (A/PO) to call a crime in upon sight, and not get involved. Officers recieve just over 50 hours of basic training and lots of on the job training, but they are not and never will be real police officers who go through a long and rigorous Academy. The NYPD Auxiliary officers are identified by a 6-point star shield vs. a regular NYPD shield and an Auxiliary tab on their shoulders. Is that an easy way to distinguish a real police officer from an auxiliary one? Nope. And that's the point of the whole thing. These officers are out there to give the bad guys the feeling that there is a lot more NYPD out there in the peak spots at the peak times. They are a force multiplier.

These two specific officers had no chance against the well-armed, well-trained gunman. They were executed. Some say even officers with weapons may not have saved themselves because the incident was so fast and happened at such proximity. The shootout with this character took on more than 50 shots fired by the police department, so perhaps if these officers were armed they would not have been successful in bringing him down anyway. Or perhaps their lack of training would have killed someone else. Someone innocent.

We will honor these officers, miss them, and carry their names in our hearts and in our work.
GEORGE LURYE

ZigZag911

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 23, 2007, 07:20:33 PM

The NYPD Auxiliary is not allowed to carry firearms because it isn't needed. The Department does not have the resources to properly train all of its auxiliaries (there are thousands) to properly use firearms. It also doesn't have the funds to properly train them in escalation of force.

The job of an N The NYPD Auxiliary officers are identified by a 6-point star shield vs. a regular NYPD shield and an Auxiliary tab on their shoulders. Is that an easy way to distinguish a real police officer from an auxiliary one? Nope. And that's the point of the whole thing. These officers are out there to give the bad guys the feeling that there is a lot more NYPD out there in the peak spots at the peak times. They are a force multiplier.

Not arming them is understandable, but perhaps ballistic vests ought to be made available for those on patrol....precisely because it is so difficult to distinguish them from regular NYPD officers.

afgeo4

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 24, 2007, 04:54:03 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on March 23, 2007, 07:20:33 PM

The NYPD Auxiliary is not allowed to carry firearms because it isn't needed. The Department does not have the resources to properly train all of its auxiliaries (there are thousands) to properly use firearms. It also doesn't have the funds to properly train them in escalation of force.

The job of an N The NYPD Auxiliary officers are identified by a 6-point star shield vs. a regular NYPD shield and an Auxiliary tab on their shoulders. Is that an easy way to distinguish a real police officer from an auxiliary one? Nope. And that's the point of the whole thing. These officers are out there to give the bad guys the feeling that there is a lot more NYPD out there in the peak spots at the peak times. They are a force multiplier.

Not arming them is understandable, but perhaps ballistic vests ought to be made available for those on patrol....precisely because it is so difficult to distinguish them from regular NYPD officers.

Absolutely! Moreover... ballistic vests equal to the ones the regular officers wear. One of the Auxiliary officers involved was actually wearing a ballistic vest, but it was one he had purchased himself and it was of a lower quality. Only 1 of 7 or 8 bullets was stopped.
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

You mean to say they were not wearing Vests?!
WHAT THE **** !
I consider it a CRIMINAL act for ANY LE concern -to include private security- to NOT REQUIRE Officers - AND AUX- to wear a vest
JMHO
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

afgeo4

Auxiliary officers are not issued ballistic protection because according to NYPD regulations they are restricted from engaging suspects in any way. They are only allowed to make the radio call to dispatch to report the situation.
Now... why wasn't that memo distributed to the guy who shot them? I demand an investigation!
GEORGE LURYE

legalboxers

actually we are issued vests now since the shooting. But the new classes coming in, are getting loaner vests.

afgeo4

Quote from: legalboxers on June 05, 2011, 07:09:52 PM
actually we are issued vests now since the shooting. But the new classes coming in, are getting loaner vests.

Thanks legal, but the post was from over 4 years ago. I know you're issued vests now. I know you're also driving white vehicles now that look just like regular NYPD RMPs and Highway Patrol units actually drive regular RMPs and bikes with small auxiliary stickers on them. Hey, if you want to make yourself a target, be my guest. A perp would be less likely to shoot a Civilian Affairs cop than an Auxiliary cop because of the uniforms you know.
GEORGE LURYE