its worth it... but how to make it stronger?

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, September 11, 2012, 02:02:10 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Just having moved to ARWG, I'm working on starting up a ground team. We just started the training with what I believe to be what is needed to be started with, hot and cold weather injuries along with a short talk about what kinds of gear setups are out there.

We are a small squadron right now, in Texarkana, but we are growing by leaps and bounds. When I started with the squadron about a month ago, we had about four active cadets, and now we have potentially about ten all of a sudden, they seem to be coming in by clans. Just a little workup for you.

My last squadron in Indiana had no shortage of people, both cadet and senior, but I have two, maybe three cadets who are interested in doing ground operations. What can I do, or show them that might spark some more interest? I've already done the 95% speech, and how vital we can be in local emergency situations, talked about how professional the ground team needs to be, and that sort of thing. I have even told them about a few missions that I have been involved in. But no matter what I try to talk to them about, interest just doesn't spark for most of them. Not to mention I don't have a single Senior Member interested in it within my squadron. That's really not a problem, most of them fly, which is nothing to sneeze at, they are vital to our mission, so they already have a job to do that is vital, cudos to them.

Should I try to let those that don't want to do it go off somewhere and do other classes or should I make them sit through it and hope they gain interest?

manfredvonrichthofen

ALSO, I am a GTL, GT2, and EMT, I've tried camping up the cool factor using terms that they might find either interesting or cool to try to bring that last little spark up to the surface.

Eclipse

You just start "doing it", and if the local squadron members aren't interested, invite other squadrons.

Once things get moving, and they see how much fun you're having, more will be interested.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 11, 2012, 02:02:10 PM
Just having moved to ARWG, I'm working on starting up a ground team. We just started the training with what I believe to be what is needed to be started with, hot and cold weather injuries along with a short talk about what kinds of gear setups are out there.

We are a small squadron right now, in Texarkana, but we are growing by leaps and bounds. When I started with the squadron about a month ago, we had about four active cadets, and now we have potentially about ten all of a sudden, they seem to be coming in by clans. Just a little workup for you.

My last squadron in Indiana had no shortage of people, both cadet and senior, but I have two, maybe three cadets who are interested in doing ground operations. What can I do, or show them that might spark some more interest? I've already done the 95% speech, and how vital we can be in local emergency situations, talked about how professional the ground team needs to be, and that sort of thing. I have even told them about a few missions that I have been involved in. But no matter what I try to talk to them about, interest just doesn't spark for most of them. Not to mention I don't have a single Senior Member interested in it within my squadron. That's really not a problem, most of them fly, which is nothing to sneeze at, they are vital to our mission, so they already have a job to do that is vital, cudos to them.

Should I try to let those that don't want to do it go off somewhere and do other classes or should I make them sit through it and hope they gain interest?

I keep tellin' ya, bring 'em up north to the 115th. Our next GT training is 13-14 OCT, overnight on Saturday, done by 1300 Sunday. We cover everything in the GT Task guide. We also will have a more intensive training academy in January. PM me for details.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

cap235629

The 83rd also trains regularly. We also host NASAR courses. And all are invited and welcome to attend. Maj. Estes can vouch for the capabilities of our cadets in GSAR.

We also sent a trainer to your squadron recently to teach Wilderness First Aid.

Have your cadets talk to ours. That is the best recruiting tool I know of.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

manfredvonrichthofen

Don't worry guys we're coming if we can make it. There will likely be three or four of us coming. My issue is at the squadron though, we only have three or four cadets and no other senior. I need to try to figure out how to spark the interest in our own squadron. The training and knowledge you gain while training with other squadrons is invaluable, but I want them to know as much and be familiarized with as much as possible before the weekend training comes up.

I need to figure out if it is worth it to the cadets that have no interest in ES to sit through the classes and training. Should I make them stay or should I let them go practice drill or other things?

Working with you guys this past weekend at the LRAFB Airshow was great, you guys are really organized and professional. I can't wait to get to work with you more.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 11, 2012, 07:58:45 PMI need to figure out if it is worth it to the cadets that have no interest in ES to sit through the classes and training. Should I make them stay for it or should I let them go practice drill or other things?

In my opinion, ES should be included in the 13 week schedule just like everything else, and include all hands.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

I have noted that the best way to get cadets interested is them hearing from other cadets who have participated in field training or actual missions.  Forcing them to sit through a class does little to spark that interest.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on September 11, 2012, 08:03:07 PM
I have noted that the best way to get cadets interested is them hearing from other cadets who have participated in field training or actual missions.  Forcing them to sit through a class does little to spark that interest.

Yes, but there is also something to be said for working the pre-reqs out together and getting past the initial hurdles.
If their intro to ES is an ICS class, they are probably going to zone out.  If it's compass work and an L-Per intro, things might be different.

The reality is that young people don't want to do anything "extra" that looks like "work" and ES is lots of work.  Get them engaged and doing
"stuff", and build it into your total program, and many will light up, and for those that don't, they are still acting as part of the squadron.

Few cadets want to drill, or test, or do anything but what they absolutely have to. Just add ES to the list, and don't entertain the detractors.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

My suggestion is to take the cadets you have and train the beck out of them. Give them a special name, a cool patch or a distinctive hat(no berets), and make it an exclusive group that you have to work to get into. Making sure however that they don't get an ES God complex. You'll probably have a bunch chomping at the bit to get on.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on September 11, 2012, 08:16:17 PM
My suggestion is to take the cadets you have and train the beck out of them. Give them a special name, a cool patch or a distinctive hat(no berets), and make it an exclusive group that you have to work to get into. Making sure however that they don't get an ES God complex. You'll probably have a bunch chomping at the bit to get on.

And get the ones who >are< ready on the ES call-up lists for your wing. Nothing will light up their peers like seeing a FIND ribbon.  All it takes for
UDF is two tasks and they can go on real missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2012, 08:29:36 PMNothing will light up their peers like seeing a FIND ribbon.  All it takes for
UDF is two tasks and they can go on real missions.

+1

What I did in a Composite Squadron was put the Find Ribbon decal up on the bulletin board and put the names of Officers and Cadets who earned a 'Find' under it. Eventually instead of 20% of the people doing 80% of the missions, I had 80% participation and that Squadron did the majority of missions in that Wing.

Good luck, have fun, Semper Vi ...

Garibaldi

Sorry to say, that may not fly here in ARWG. The Wing CC says no to distinctive hats for specialties like ES. However, treating GT cadets as an "exclusive" groups has its merits. A few years ago I tried to get that done, only to be told by our DCC that it would make others feel bad, and if everyone couldn't have a patch or hat or t-shirt blah blah blah. I stopped listening because...well, nevermind why. Point is, ES is a distinction that should be rewarded with something other than a GT badge. Sort of a "special forces" with lower case SF, if you catch my meaning.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 12, 2012, 02:51:49 PM

Sorry to say, that may not fly here in ARWG. The Wing CC says no to distinctive hats for specialties like ES. However, treating GT cadets as an "exclusive" groups has its merits. A few years ago I tried to get that done, only to be told by our DCC that it would make others feel bad, and if everyone couldn't have a patch or hat or t-shirt blah blah blah. I stopped listening because...well, nevermind why. Point is, ES is a distinction that should be rewarded with something other than a GT badge. Sort of a "special forces" with lower case SF, if you catch my meaning.
Completely, they have distinguished themselves above their peers, but they aren't an elite force.

I don't see Why it couldn't be done, even despite the view of wing. I bet together we could persuade them.

ol'fido

Post deleted.

Garibaldi

ol'fido

Disregard previous post. I forgot to take my medicine tonight.

manfredvonrichthofen

In all fairness, units,  both wing and squadron can go two ways and be looked at negatively.

One can go with allowing the war kg berets or other distinctive items and be looked at as trying to be elitists.

Another can say no special items for anyone and be looked at as trying to scrape by with the minimum.

It's all how the individual on the outside wants to look in the window.

Personally, I think adding an item, such as Indiana does with the beret, as giving something extra to drive for. I loved wearing mine in indiana, as does everyone else in Indiana. If you don't like wearing one, then don't. It's all a matter of preference.

All is a matter of personal opinion. Some don't like the military uniforms, would you like yours to go away because of it?

Private Investigator

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 13, 2012, 03:24:09 AM
Personally, I think adding an item, such as Indiana does with the beret, as giving something extra to drive for. I loved wearing mine in indiana, as does everyone else in Indiana. If you don't like wearing one, then don't. It's all a matter of preference.

You should have people doing ES because they want to do ES and not just for bling bling or elite status which occurs with teenagers and adults as well.