Communications Technician rating qualification?

Started by dman12323, November 28, 2010, 06:37:18 PM

dman12323

I have alotta questions so I will just go ahead and ask them all.What do you need to wear the Communications Technician rating patch?And is there some kind of class you have to take or testing to obtain this patch?And what rank do you have to be?Thanks!

Eclipse

There is an entire curriculum, not to mention the requirement that you be approved by your commander.

See this pamphlet for a start: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/u_082503084959.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

dman12323

So I would basically have to talk to my commander about it,and get my CAP Form 76 radio permit and pass the test and course basically?

arajca

Talk to you unit communications officer about it. They'll know (or should know) what it takes. There is more to it than taking tests or courses.

Eclipse

The radio op card is probably the smallest piece of the requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2010, 06:52:04 PM
There is an entire curriculum, not to mention the requirement that you be approved by your commander.

See this pamphlet for a start: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/u_082503084959.pdf
Go to the cap ntc restricted site and take a look at the proposed radio communications officer training.  It's been VERY slow (shall we say stopped) regarding implementation.   Even under the current setup you might not be able to achieve 25% check in on nets, because there may not be any nets in your neck of the woods.  Since implementation of the new technical standards, the overall VHF radio communications system is highly leveraged and is dependent upon repeaters remaining operational OR aircraft being able to fly as high bird relays, OR having adequate cellphone coverage (which is probably are primary comm method, with portable used for ground to air comms).
RM

arajca

If there are no nets, that requirement is really easy to meet.

25% of zero is zero.

Actually, I fell into that category only because for me to check into the nets, I'd have to drive 45 mins. [darn] mountains. Since moving up the comm food chain, I have access to systems that let me check in regularly and serve as NCS.

dman12323

Im not sure im going to get approval by my commander,there is only 1 ES "certified" basic cadet in our squadron.And im the only 1 interested in communications.Dont know,Ill check tomorrow...

IceNine

Do your homework and be prepared to answer questions.

If you can tell your commander exactly what you need from him/her and exactly what you need to do to achieve your goal you will be much better off.

Walking in and saying "I want to do comm's, will you let me?" will probably not get the job done.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dman12323

I was also wondering from his response.What is a POC?Thanks!

Eclipse

Quote from: dman12323 on December 10, 2010, 10:08:46 PM
I was also wondering from his response.What is a POC?Thanks!

Generally refers to "Point Of Contact".

"Who's the POC on that airplane?"

"Who's the POC on the van?"

"That Others May Zoom"

dman12323

ok,one more question he asked if I had: Do you have a POC to help conduct all this training? This means I need someone to contact for the training basically?

Eclipse

Who is asking that?  I'm not clear on the context.

"That Others May Zoom"

dman12323

arajca

1. Does your unit have a Communications Officer?

2. If not, does your wing have groups? If so, ask your commander for permission to discuss this with the group Communications Officer.

3. If your wing does not have groups, ask your commander for permission to discuss this with the wing communications staff. They WILL have the answers you seek.

The reason I say "ask you commander for permission" is because he will NOT appreciate it if the group or wing comm folks (or commander) come down to him and ask why one of his cadets is bothering them. If he knows you are going to contact them, he may give them a heads up so they'll be expecting your call.

Eclipse

Quote from: dman12323 on December 11, 2010, 12:51:05 AM
The commander is asking that

Your commander is asking you if you have a POC for this?

"That Others May Zoom"

dman12323

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2010, 02:13:39 AM

yes,the commander is asking if I have a POC for this.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: dman12323 on December 11, 2010, 02:58:13 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2010, 02:13:39 AM

yes,the commander is asking if I have a POC for this.

I would think that the proper response would be, "Sir, my understanding is that the proper POC is the Squadron Communications Officer."

That puts the ball squarely in his court - where it should be.   You should not have to arrange for your own training.

dman12323

Unfortunately my sqdn does not have a communications officer.Therefore,I guess i dont have a POC.Or go up to the wing groups.

dman12323

So I guess,I should tell him.I dont have a POC at this time.