Flight Suit Survival 'Gear' - What would you include in your pockets?

Started by Pumbaa, August 24, 2008, 09:24:22 PM

Pumbaa

I am reposting something Sparky posted in the uniform thread.  I thought this would be an interesting point of discussion.

My question is this.  What would you include in your 'pocket survival kit' if you could only purchase items at local stores and then fit it in the pockets of your flight suit (or BDU)?

Remember comfort, weight, durability, moisture and heat.  ie a chocolate bar might not be the best survival item in a back pocket ;)

Also, you cannot buy a pre-made survival kit.  You have to go to your local Walmart, Gander Mountain, grocery store, etc to get your own pocket survival items.

OK post those ideas

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Plane & Pilot Magazine  - June 2008

Getting Out Alive
Survival experts show pilots what to do when the propeller stops spinning
[/i]
By Marc C. Lee
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/proficiency/pilot-skills/getting-out-alive.html

Few topics in aviation are as popular as that of survival after a forced landing. Since the tragic September 2007 disappearance of adventurer Steve Fossett, the topic has been the subject of countless hangar flying sessions and pilot's lounge discussions.

As aviators, we share a unique experience in that we operate over moderately long distances and fly over a wide variety of landforms. Even those of us who routinely fly out of well-populated areas sometimes traverse relatively remote expanses. Still, few pilots adequately plan for sudden exposure to Mother Nature, and a true survival situation could be as close as your next flight.

We spoke with two experts on the subject of survival. Tim Smith is the founder of Jack Mountain Bushcraft & Guide Service in Wolfeboro, N.H. He's a survival instructor, licensed guide, trapper and hunter with experience in Canada, Alaska, Florida and the upper Northeast. Tim is also a survival consultant for the Man vs. Wild television show.

Les Stroud is the star and survival expert on the Discovery Channel's popular Survivorman television series. He has more than 20 years experience as a naturalist, outdoor adventurer and instructor in survival, white-water rafting, sea kayaking, hiking, dog sledding and winter travel. His documentary film, Snowshoes and Solitude, about the year he and his wife spent living in the remote Boreal Forest of Northern Ontario, has won numerous independent awards.

The Reality Of Being Found
The FAA keeps statistics on how long it takes search-and-rescue (SAR) teams to find a downed aircraft. These figures are a good indication of how long a person would need to survive before help arrives. The important thing to remember is that these statistics are only averages. Many pilots have had to wait far longer than the times listed. The data also reflects certain flight characteristics, such as ATC knowing your last-known position with accuracy and the presence of a working ELT in your plane.

Current FAA statistics for length of time from last-known position (LKP) to rescue are: 13 hours for an IFR flight, 37 hours for a VFR flight with a filed flight plan and 42 hours for a flight with no flight plan. The Fossett disappearance shows that even 42 hours could be optimistic given difficult or obscured terrain and lack of a signaling device.

Surviving the forced landing is, of course, the first hurdle. The velocities and altitudes involved in flying an aircraft are such that you may survive, but be at least moderately injured with broken bones, lacerations and/or burns. According to survival experts, your ability to survive with serious injuries starts to diminish after the first 24 hours. Thus, the clock is ticking.

Physiology & Survival
The needs of the human body are surprising. According to survival instructor Smith, food is a low priority. "The average human can go 40 days without eating without ill effect," Smith says. "In a situation where two people of identical build are put in a survival situation where one completely fasts and the other eats sporadically, the one who fasts will exhibit better performance and live longer than the one who eats little bits."

Smith further explains that, "You don't really need to eat anything because the ratio of carbohydrates to calories burned changes when your body enters a fasting state." If you can eat, then fat and protein are key. "Fat allows your body to generate warmth, and protein gives you strength," says Stroud. "Meat is the best source for both. You have to be careful, though, because rabbits have no fat and it's possible to actually starve your body by only eating rabbits."

Both instructors point to water as your body's critical need. "You won't survive more than maybe three or four days without water," says Stroud, "and by day three, your mind starts going." Smith adds, "As you dehydrate, your brain and thinking change. Because our bodies are basically bags of salt water, lack of water causes serious effects long before you actually die."

Priorities
In the immediate aftermath of a forced landing, there are priorities that must be set. Survival experts agree that establishing a "survival" state of mind is one of the most crucial elements of staying alive.

Stroud says that calming down is the first thing he advises once a person is free of the aircraft. "The first priority is to calm yourself down and then deal with first aid. Too many people panic and it kills them," he says. "You have to establish a mind-set that you'll get out of this and stay rational."

Roger Storey is a survival instructor with the FAA's Civil Aeromedical Institute. Storey agrees that attitude is key: "One thing is for certain—without a will to survive, there can be no survival. If you don't have a desire to survive, there's no equipment made that will help you survive."

Stroud suggests four simple priorities: "First, assess your situation. Are you in immediate danger? Second, find out what you have with you, in your pockets and in the plane. Third, begin addressing your basic needs of water, shelter and fire. Finally, think about what you have available for signaling for help."

Smith stresses basics: "There are three things it takes not to die: 1) Keep your body's core temperature in the very narrow range needed to function properly; 2) Drink enough water; 3) Get enough sleep to remain rational. I can't overstate the importance of maintaining core body temperature and getting enough rest." Smith instructs pilots to use the fuselage of the airplane for shelter and to be inventive in their thinking: "Look at everything around you. Use everything there."

Psychologically, all survival experts agree that fire is your best friend. "Fire is an unbelievable psychological boost in keeping you alive," says Stroud. Fire is important enough that he suggests carrying three fire-making tools at all times. "It keeps the bogeyman away," he laughs. Smith adds that, "Boredom can also be a problem, so performing regular tasks helps."

Real Survival Gear
Pilots are especially vulnerable because they don't plan for survival situations when planning a flying trip. They can go from sitting in a warm cockpit wearing a T-shirt to being in an open desert or frozen mountainside in minutes. What gear should pilots carry?

Expert opinions vary, but certain items top their lists. Smith recommends a basic approach: "The key item for pilots to carry is a top-quality, down sleeping bag. Two are even better. These answer the need for shelter and warmth and, if you include water and start a fire, you can survive for a long time with only that."

Stroud doesn't hesitate to start his list off with a quality belt knife. He says, "A good knife or multi-tool with a serrated back is worth its weight in gold."

Both Stroud and Smith have strong opinions about survival kits. "Most survival kits on the market are designed to make a profit, not save your life," says Stroud. Smith adds, "Most survival kits are garbage. Make your own."

"My survival kit starts in my pocket," explains Stroud. "If you survive the crash, then what you have in your pockets will stay with you." Recommended kit items include a signaling mirror and whistle, compass, multiple fire-starting tools and, most importantly, a good first-aid kit. "First aid will be the first thing you attend to after the forced landing," says Stroud.

"Those 'space blankets' are not blankets," adds Stroud. Both men explain that these silvery Mylar sheets are useful for reflecting radiant energy or signaling by reflecting light. "But Mylar isn't a blanket," says Smith.

Prepare Early
Finally, all of our survival experts recommend that pilots prepare early by gaining knowledge before they're forced down in an emergency.

Storey explains preparation steps, "The first is to admit to yourself that 'it can happen to me.' The next step is to prepare both mentally and physically. By improving your knowledge and physical capabilities, you'll also increase your confidence. The more informed you are about your own capabilities, and about the climate and terrain over which you fly, the easier it will be to decide which equipment to take aboard your aircraft."

Both Stroud and Smith suggest that pilots "stick to the basics." Stroud concludes, "Survival isn't about building fancy shelters and tying complicated knots. It's about getting out alive."

Survivorman Stroud agrees and adds that, "Of course, after day four or five, your energy will take a dive." Stroud comments on the fact that the face of hunger changes as your body gets used to a lack of food. "Because you're in a panic stage, you won't be hungry. If you don't focus on or think about the lack of food, your mind will go into an almost Zen-like state. It's different from normal hunger."

lordmonar

I wear a survival vest....I put operations items in my flight suit pockets.  Maps, camera, pens, straight edge...those sort I of things I need to get to quickly.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DC

Multi Tool
Fire Steel
Paracord
Heavy Duty Trash Bag
First Aid Kit - Assorted Bandaids, Antiseptic, Moleskin, Small Gauze Pads, OTC Meds
Signal Mirror
Penlight

That is the basic items in my kit, enough to build a decent shelter, fire, and signal with. In a GT situation I would have at least my 24hr pack, in addition to this pocket kit. You can find some really sweet, and very functional, kits people have build online. Some of them are the size of a pack of cigarettes, but contain a huge amount of items...

Eclipse

Multi-tool, cel phone & ID.

In these parts, if you can survive the lawn-dart process, you'd walk to the road and ask for help (assuming your cel phone doesn't work).

"That Others May Zoom"

flyerthom

I carry a swiss army knife and a multi tool, cell phone, pen light, and ID in my CAP flight suit.
At work I add EMT shears, pens and 2 14 guage IV caths and an N95 mask in my work flight suit. The N 95 will work as tinder. 
TC

Jerry Jacobs

Whenever I fly I carry my cell phone, a signal mirror and a flashlight at the least.  I think the signal mirror is most important, it is easy to use, extremely effective and all I need is light.

Auxpilot

A photo of your kids.

The most important factor in survival is to not give up. Having something to remind you of why you want to live another day when you are ready to quit is a great motivator.

RiverAux

Survival vest with singal mirror, some minor first aid supplies, matches, strobe light and a few other things like that.  Have cell phone on me.  Not so much interested in survival, but in signalling. 

stratoflyer

Protein bars--you know, in case you get hungry while walking along...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on August 25, 2008, 10:29:09 PM
Survival vest with singal mirror, some minor first aid supplies, matches, strobe light and a few other things like that.  Have cell phone on me.  Not so much interested in survival, but in signalling. 

You're gonna put the vest in a flight suit pocket?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pumbaa

Again remember the rules of this exercise.  What would you put in your flight suit pockets to aid in survival if you could not bring any other kit.

RiverAux

Keep in mind that not everybody wears a flight suit or BDUs while flying.  So carrying survival items on you is even more of a challenge....hence the survival vest. 

ol'fido

Number 1 would be my cell phone and a GPS if the cell phone didn't have that capacity. Keep it charged and withfresh batteries in the GPS. A Silva type compass and map.  If you are in a limited area, you can cut a few pages out of a Delorme atlas and laminate them or put them in a plastic baggie. A signal mirror and a bike light. The bike light is one of those square red "taillights" they sell for bikes. It has a constant red light or 2-3 strobe like settings and is very compact.  A butane lighter and strikeanywhere matches in a waterproof container. The so-called waterproof matches are crap. Put these in  separate pockets so if youlose one you will still have a way to start a fire. A good quality multi-tool or one of the lock blade Swiss army knives.  A yard square orange bandana. Go to Wallie World, buy a square yard of the brightest day glo orange or yellow cotton cloth they have and put a 1/8" hem all around it. Many uses. Make a Fox 40 whistle your zipper pull on your flight suit or use some cord to attach it to the  top button hole of your BDUs. Don't put it around your neck as it may catch on something and choke you.  Round this out with a micro maglite and a boy scout fire steel on your key chain. Last but not least a couple of baby bottles with water.

Altogether:
Cell Phone
GPS
Map
Compass
Signal Mirror
Bike Light
Butane Lighter
Matches in W/P Container
Multi-tool or Knife
Bandana
Whistle
Micro Mag-lite
Boy Scout Fire Steel
Almost forgot, dip some cotton balls in petroleum jelly and put in a film container or very small ziplock baggie.

That's 14 items. Sounds like a lot but will fit in a flight suit or in BDUs if you distribute it am ong the pockets.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Jerry Jacobs

Should you really carry things that easily catch on fire with us in a plane?  I know were wearing NOMEX,  but I think if this stuff in your pockets it could catch on fire in the event of a fire(especially the lighter).

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on August 28, 2008, 01:34:08 AM
but I think if this stuff in your pockets it could catch on fire in the event of a fire(especially the lighter).

All the smokers in the world - can't say I've ever seen one spontaneously combust...

I think you have a better chance of electrical fire in the plane than the lighter in your nomex flight suit pocket.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 28, 2008, 02:42:44 AM
Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on August 28, 2008, 01:34:08 AM
but I think if this stuff in your pockets it could catch on fire in the event of a fire(especially the lighter).

All the smokers in the world - can't say I've ever seen one spontaneously combust...

I think you have a better chance of electrical fire in the plane than the lighter in your nomex flight suit pocket.

I wasn't saying it would just blow up, but in the event of a fire inside the cockpit I wouldn't want a lighter in my pocket

SarDragon

You would be seriously incapacitated by the fire already if you stayed around long enough for a butane lighter to explode.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Rangercap

Quote from: olefido on August 27, 2008, 12:04:41 AM
Number 1 would be my cell phone and a GPS if the cell phone didn't have that capacity. Keep it charged and withfresh batteries in the GPS. A Silva type compass and map.  If you are in a limited area, you can cut a few pages out of a Delorme atlas and laminate them or put them in a plastic baggie. A signal mirror and a bike light. The bike light is one of those square red "taillights" they sell for bikes. It has a constant red light or 2-3 strobe like settings and is very compact.  A butane lighter and strikeanywhere matches in a waterproof container. The so-called waterproof matches are crap. Put these in  separate pockets so if youlose one you will still have a way to start a fire. A good quality multi-tool or one of the lock blade Swiss army knives.  A yard square orange bandana. Go to Wallie World, buy a square yard of the brightest day glo orange or yellow cotton cloth they have and put a 1/8" hem all around it. Many uses. Make a Fox 40 whistle your zipper pull on your flight suit or use some cord to attach it to the  top button hole of your BDUs. Don't put it around your neck as it may catch on something and choke you.  Round this out with a micro maglite and a boy scout fire steel on your key chain. Last but not least a couple of baby bottles with water.

Altogether:
Cell Phone
GPS
Map
Compass
Signal Mirror
Bike Light
Butane Lighter
Matches in W/P Container
Multi-tool or Knife
Bandana
Whistle
Micro Mag-lite
Boy Scout Fire Steel
Almost forgot, dip some cotton balls in petroleum jelly and put in a film container or very small ziplock baggie.

That's 14 items. Sounds like a lot but will fit in a flight suit or in BDUs if you distribute it am ong the pockets.

Nice list... you should also add paracord. Not the cheapo crap... the good stuff. Remove you boot laces and replace each with a 6 foot length. That way you always have it. This gives you 60+ feet of cord if you gut it out. Need your boot laces? Reuse the casing and keep the finer strands in your pocket.

Brian
PAWG

DC

Quote from: Rangercap on August 28, 2008, 06:57:10 PM
Quote from: olefido on August 27, 2008, 12:04:41 AM

Altogether:
Cell Phone
GPS
Map
Compass
Signal Mirror
Bike Light
Butane Lighter
Matches in W/P Container
Multi-tool or Knife
Bandana
Whistle
Micro Mag-lite
Boy Scout Fire Steel

Nice list... you should also add paracord. Not the cheapo crap... the good stuff. Remove you boot laces and replace each with a 6 foot length. That way you always have it. This gives you 60+ feet of cord if you gut it out. Need your boot laces? Reuse the casing and keep the finer strands in your pocket.

Brian
PAWG
If you put six feet on each boot then you will have 12ft, not 60.... Unless you have 10 legs...

stratoflyer

A little bottle of water purification tablets would fit easily into a pocket.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP