Main Menu

U206G transition

Started by farsightusf2017, December 13, 2022, 11:03:40 PM

farsightusf2017

Hey all!

I'm about to start 206 transition and was hoping for any advice anyone has. I plan on making a pilot IFG kneeboard card. If you have any resources please share!

And yes I will ask my CFI the same things. This is to supplement my flights.

TIA

FlyingPig

I have about 1400 hrs in 206s.  Get comfortable with landings at all flap settings.  If you have the runway, there's almost no need to land with full flaps. The 206 has gigantic flaps, so full is a lot of surface are thrown into the wind.  I just always found it more comfortable using 20 deg for most landings.  Some CFIs teach 10 on down wind, 20 on base and 40 on final.  I just never found that to really be needed.
Also be aware of the flap sensor on the cargo door.  If your doors are loose, your flaps wont work.  You can usually reach back and grab the handle and pull it to reset the switch.
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
CFI Airplane / CFI Helicopter
Former Sq. Commander

farsightusf2017

Thanks for the guidance! Had my first flight yesterday. Did flap 0 20 and full landings. I'm still figuring out my power settings and a feel for the airplane. In the 182 I prefer to use 20 and a bit faster but I feel the 206 was a bit more responsive at slower speeds. Fun aircraft to fly!

FlyingPig

In a 206, full flaps on final takes a decent amount of power.  Plus if you had an event for a go around there is a tremendous amount of drag when you power up and pitch up while those flaps are retracting.  If you ever experience that, do not snap the flaps to 0 or youll be luck to make the climb out as the flaps are retracting.  Ive seen people just reach over and smack the lever up.  As you probably saw, 20 deg is pretty comfortable. 

One exercise you can do for a good visual is go up to 1500.  Set up a full flap final approach and make 1000' your hard line for the runway altitude.  When you are coming up to 1000, flare like you normally would, pretending 1000' on your altimeter is the pavement.  Then power up simulating a go around as youre flaps are going from 40 deg to Zero, while youre trying to climb back up to 1500.   That same set up makes great practice for seeing how much altitude you can lose during an engine failure on take off.  Start at 1000' in a take off profile.  Climb out.  at 500-800-1000, whatever you choose, pull the throttle to idle and start your turn back to your reciprocal heading, trying to level out and be set up in a landing profile before you get to 1000'  Of course, dont be so over aggressive that you spin, but youll be able to really see how much altitude you lose doing a 180 back to the airport.  Keep in mind too that if you ever did have to do a turn back to a single runway your turns would be more of a 270, then a 30-45 degree to line back up with the centerline.   So once you feel comfortable with the angle of bank needed to make a 180, then do the 270 and 45 simulating lining back up. 
That can be a little tough to relay typing it out, but its a good drill.  Youll find in a lot of cases, if you were doing a straight out climb, youd need to be above 800' to even have a chance.  But again Ill reiterate, the one thing Ive seen doing it as a CFI is students being over aggressive on the turn back that they get pretty close to an accelerated stall.  Ive even had the stall horn come on pulling the nose back.  So be aware of that.
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
Former Sq. Commander

farsightusf2017

Thanks for the help! Checkride complete!

FlyingPig

I would encourage you to make a habit of researching accident reports that involve the C182 and C206.  Sadly there are plenty of them.   Take notes, and break them down.  Youll learn a tremendous amount of information about the aircraft by reading them.

https://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/AviationQuery.aspx
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
Former Sq. Commander