Mini aircrew survival gear

Started by Walkman, September 07, 2012, 07:36:44 PM

Walkman

In the past, I've brought my 24hr pack with my on sorties for back-up to the AC gear. I'd like to see if this weekend I can put together a mini kit I can stuff in the flightsuit pockets and not have to carry the pack around.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
multi-tool
signal mirror
compass
handful of 1st aid stuff (bandages, etc)
some paracord
survival/space blanket

Thoughts? Add anything, take away anything. Remember, think small.

Critical AOA

I'd add a decent folding, lock blade knife along with the multi tool.  Also,
Glow stick
Whistle
Flashlight
Energy bars.

A few things that you might also want but will add more weight
Radio and/or PLB
Srobe light
Poncho

It all depends on where you might be going and how far from civilization.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Al Sayre

When I was in scouts about a hundred years ago, we used to have a competition to see who could make the best survival kit that would fit in a plastic cigarette case like you take to the beach.  Those are a little hard to come by but a plastic soap dish works just as well and most are water proof.  Fits in your pocket nicely.  Two of them can make an awesome survival kit that fits in one of your map pockets etc. 

I have a Boy Scout knife, couple of fishing hooks and 10 lb test line, a magnesium fire starter, space blanket, electrical and duct tape, small mirror, whistle, band-aids and moleskin along with a few other sundry items that I thought would be handy...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Critical AOA

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 07, 2012, 07:48:48 PM
When I was in scouts about a hundred years ago, we used to have a competition to see who could make the best survival kit that would fit in a plastic cigarette case like you take to the beach.  Those are a little hard to come by but a plastic soap dish works just as well and most are water proof.  Fits in your pocket nicely.  Two of them can make an awesome survival kit that fits in one of your map pockets etc. 

I have a Boy Scout knife, couple of fishing hooks and 10 lb test line, a magnesium fire starter, space blanket, electrical and duct tape, small mirror, whistle, band-aids and moleskin along with a few other sundry items that I thought would be handy...

Yep, a magnesium fire starter is always a good idea. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Walkman

It's funny, after a disastrous winter evening trying to get a fire going during my very 1st GT FTX, I decided to become the guy that could start a fire in any field conditions, and I completely forgot to have any fire starting kit in this.  :o

I do carry a flashlight in my gear anyway, but it's a good reminder to someone else who might read this.

For the SAREVAL, we won't be very remote and the weather here is decent. This is where it gets tricky. What's the line between being prepared for weather and keeping the gear to a minimum? I have one of those cheap ponchos that are about the size of a deck of cards. If worse comes to worse, the combo of that and the space blanket could make for a decent shelter.

Good point on the knife/multi-tool. I carry a Gerber Crucial as my EDC and it had a very solid, big blade, but not all MTs have decent blades on them.

I've read about some aircrew that wear a survival vest, and I might try that out someday. I've been thinking of shuffling my GT gear to a vest set-up. Being able to use that in aircrew sorties would make it that much more versatile.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Robborsari

I have finally put all my emergency gear into a carrier so I can take it with me on leaving the aircraft.  My squadron commander has been pushing this idea for a long time.  I do not like to wear a vest because I am ahem, larger around the torso :)  I got this for christmas: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c616/ 

I wear it on the left side so it does not interfere with my kneeboard.  It also does not interfere with a flotation device if needed.

I carry (in no particular order)
My airband/ham radio with headset adaptor
Large Sharpie
Ballpoint Pen
Entirely inadaquate small first aid kit
Green Laser Pointer
Small Led Flashight
Gerber Suspension Multi tool
Wood/flint Firestarter
Lighter (cause I am not Daniel Boone)
Spare Double A Batteries (Fits both flashlight and laser)
Small bottle of Tylenol
Chemlight
Really Big Zip Tie
A couple of feet of rolled duct tape
Signal Mirror
Form 60

All of this stuff was in my flightbag already so it only added a very little weight.  The whole thing rolls up and fits into a pocket on my flightbag so I still have it all with me even when I don't wear it.  Now if I could just get over feeling silly when I wear it. :)
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Spaceman3750

Don't forget a CAPF78 so you can get a head start on all that paperwork you're going to do for breaking a plane >:D.

Robborsari

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 08, 2012, 03:11:07 AM
Don't forget a CAPF78 so you can get a head start on all that paperwork you're going to do for breaking a plane >:D.

If I break it someone else has to do the paperwork.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

sarmed1

I came across this one that I like pretty much.....http://www.survivalkitsolutions.com/New%20PSK12.htm
of course I have like 3 of my own built and cant really justify "another" survival kit, but I'd get that one if I was in need

I have mine split into two seperate pouches..... 1 survival, 1 first aid; both are in specops brand pouches (like the 4x6x1 size).

One is part of a larger kit; more of a survival bug out bag; but I can seperate out into smaller parts either in the bag or attached to my person/pockets (the only thing I havent found a good way to carry/right option is a firearm....but do have some less lethal options...non CAP of course)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

NIN

Mark, that looks a lot like the stuff they used to pack into our aircrew vests in the Army. Me likey! (those razor knives used to disappear out of mine for some reason, and always appeared in my plastic model kit building supplies.  Weird.  Word to the wise: they're sharp as hell and will definitely take the tip of your finger off if you're trying to saw thru a tough piece of plastic. Not that I know...)

Remember, when it comes to aircrew survival items, the rule of thumb is that "if its not on you or attached to you, you likely will not exit the airplane with it."

I used to fly with my aircrew vest snap-linked to my helmet bag and the seat back. "If something happens, I'll have time to grab it.."  Don't believe it.  I flew with a guy who crewed an aircraft that wound up several hundred feet down a mountainside in a bad "Dukes of Hazzard"-style roll over (and over, and over) accident.  He said "When things stopped flying around the cabin, and I mean *everything* flying around the cabin, I couldn't find ANYTHING.."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Thrashed

I guess I'm a gambler. I never bring any equipment other than my regular flying stuff: headset, AFD, and sectional.

Save the triangle thingy

wuzafuzz

I won't claim any expertise building survival kits.  However, I grew up in big earthquake country and now I live where it snows a lot and we fly over some big mountains.  So I turned to this book to help me create kits of all sizes: car kits, plane kits, personal kits, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-Survival-John-McCann/dp/0873499670

My 72 hour pack doubles as my car kit, living in the trunk with some extra supplies and tools.  Typically I relied on my UDF kit for aircrew duties, planning to rely in the bigger kit in the plane.  After reading some of the accounts in this thread the importance of wearable gear for aircrew is driven home. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

PHall

I guess I'm spoiled. 8)   I just use a SRU-21 Military Survival Vest. These things can be configured many ways and you usually find them in Surplus stores.
I just carry stuff good for immediate survival needs ( first 24 hours ) because you start packing any more and the vest becomes heavy/bulky.
Heavy/bulky is not good when you're in a Cessna with a couple of other people. Size and weight are pretty important when you're in a light aircraft.

Walkman

I decided to go ultra light. I skipped the 1st aid stuff. I stowed a small LED flashlight, multi-tool. signal mirror, and 15' paracord in my flight suit pockets.

I like those PSK12 kits that sarmed linked to. Seemed like just the right size to toss in the lower leg pocket of a flight suit.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep playing with the configuration until I get something that strikes the right balance for me.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Walkman on September 07, 2012, 08:15:24 PM
It's funny, after a disastrous winter evening trying to get a fire going during my very 1st GT FTX, I decided to become the guy that could start a fire in any field conditions, and I completely forgot to have any fire starting kit in this.  :o

Get a second "LED" flashlight, take apart a DVD player. Swap out the LED for the optics from the DVD player. Not suggesting ANYONE do this, but you make a blinding/illegal, but heat producing laser that can start some kindling going.

Walkman

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 10, 2012, 02:37:11 AM
Get a second "LED" flashlight, take apart a DVD player. Swap out the LED for the optics from the DVD player. Not suggesting ANYONE do this, but you make a blinding/illegal, but heat producing laser that can start some kindling going.

I've seen that hack. Very tempting...

a2capt

But has anyone besides Kip Kay gotten that to work?
I've made fire with lasers ... but it's a little big .. ;)

OTOH .. I can imagine wanting to have that while flying ... to be able to shoot back :)

Al Sayre

I'm opting to wait for the mini railgun...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 10, 2012, 12:38:23 PM
I'm opting to wait for the mini railgun...

The power pack for that thing is a MONSTER!   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret