Ground Team Badge

Started by CadetCrayonEater, May 09, 2017, 05:35:45 AM

CadetCrayonEater

How do I do I earn my Ground Team Badge as a cadet? I am a GES 116 qualified and almost 117 qualified what next?
C/SrA Mudd
Suppy Officer
Cadet Advisory Council
Reno Composite Squadron
Nevada Wing

SarDragon

Log in to eServices, click the Operations tab, click Operations Qualifications, click SQTRs-Entry/View Worksheet, enter your CAPID and hit Tab, select GTM3 - Ground Team Member Level 3 from the drop-down menu.

Print the page (SQTR).

Go here. Download the two task guides - Ground & Urban Team Task Guide, and GTL & GTM Reference Guide.

Take the SQTR and the task guides and work with a local Ground Team Member to get each item signed off on the SQTR. When it's all signed, entered into eServices, and approved up the chain, you can submit for your Ground Team badge. It should take you a few months to get everything.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

You can work wit any qualified gtm to learn/practice the tasks on the sqtr, but only a qualified gtm who is also a SET for ground team can actually sign you off on those tasks.

Also you could just attend NESA.  I think they still award the badge upon graduation of basic gsar school.

husker

Quote from: coudano on May 09, 2017, 09:34:34 AM

Also you could just attend NESA.  I think they still award the badge upon graduation of basic gsar school.

Correct.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Eclipse

Is award of the badge for graduation still potentially separate from completing GT3, or has that been reconciled?

"That Others May Zoom"

husker

Graduation = GTM3.  If they do not pass all the required SQTR tasks, they do not graduate.

Out biggest issue is members who come w/o the required IS courses.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

coudano

Just out of curiosity, how did you guys overcome the squadron/group/wing approval process in e-services and required by reg?  As I recall, that was the 'problem' with actually no kidding qualifying people in-house at NESA.  3 commanders in those members' 52 individual wings had to give assent and click approve before they could actually get a qual on their 101 card.  First time I went home with NESA, I went home with a fully complete SQTR (and yes, a gt badge on my uniform), but I still had to submit it to my chain of command when I got back to no kidding get the qual.

You just type a cheat code into e-services, and bypass all that?  :)

I get that 'everyone knows' that graduating NESA gives the qual, and all of the relevant players signed of on letting the member attend...  So that's sort of like a signature...

Clearly i've been out of the NESA loop, for a while.

Eclipse

Doesn't NESA have National rights that bypass local need?

I don't think I've had to do a local approval on a NESA SQTR for years.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2017, 09:29:16 PM
Doesn't NESA have National rights that bypass local need?

I don't think I've had to do a local approval on a NESA SQTR for years.

QuoteClearly i've been out of the NESA loop, for a while.

husker

Each member must have unit and wing approval to attend each course they apply for.  For example, Lt. Smith applies for Basic GTM and Basic Scanner - his unit and wing must approve him to attend both courses.  That approval serves as both "Commander's Approval" in the prereq, as well as approval to gain the rating.

Cheat code? Well, its something like that.    :)
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Luis R. Ramos

A long time ago, it was expected by Group and Wing ES personnel for each NESA student to have a SQTR, or a SQTR for Blue Beret participants for each of those specialties taught there.

However I have seen they are becoming more forgiving at the ES at Group and Wing. Or understand the logic as Husker pointed. Recently we had a cadet transferring from another squadron that had attended NESA. She had not uploaded anything. So I asked her for a SQTR. She said she only had her graduation certificate, so I uploaded that. It has not bounced back. I do not think there will be a problem if you upload only their certificate.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

coudano

I would think nesa would do a mass sqtr entry, right?

You need dates in all of your tasks now, in order to do per-task expiration and re-eval, right?

Luis R. Ramos

If the certificate has a date, why would you need individual expiration dates?

Date of specialty expiration = date on certificate + 3. Then have the member get a SQTR. They normally would continue participation on missions, TRAEX, TRAINEX, SAREX, etc. Request from them a SQTR then...
Squadron Safety Officer

husker

Quote from: coudano on May 10, 2017, 12:25:54 AM
I would think nesa would do a mass sqtr entry, right?

You need dates in all of your tasks now, in order to do per-task expiration and re-eval, right?
Yes, we upload all tasks for all members who attend the activity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 09, 2017, 11:56:45 PM
A long time ago, it was expected by Group and Wing ES personnel for each NESA student to have a SQTR, or a SQTR for Blue Beret participants for each of those specialties taught there.

However I have seen they are becoming more forgiving at the ES at Group and Wing. Or understand the logic as Husker pointed. Recently we had a cadet transferring from another squadron that had attended NESA. She had not uploaded anything. So I asked her for a SQTR. She said she only had her graduation certificate, so I uploaded that. It has not bounced back. I do not think there will be a problem if you upload only their certificate.

The old Ops Quals system allowed any CAPID to be used to sign off tasks whether the member was a Skills Evaluator or not. And since Skills Evaluators were appointed on PAs, it wasn't always clear if the member signing off a task was an authorized Skills Evaluator. Even worst, anyone could add someone else's CAPID without their knowledge or consent. For those reasons, many groups and wings required an initialed, signed, and scanned SQTR be uploaded in Ops Quals.

The current system is much improved. Authorized Skills Evaluators are approved and listed in Ops Quals. Only authorized Skills Evaluators can sign off and validate tasks in Ops Quals. If a member uses someone else's CAPID, the Skills Evaluator gets an e-mail and only him/her can validate those tasks, at least for two weeks. After two weeks, anyone with Ops Quals approver permissions can validate the tasks, but normally should confirm the task were completed first.

The current Ops Quals system made uploading a signed SQTR redundant and unnecessary. That's why many groups and wings no longer require them.

Luis R. Ramos

When did the change from the "old Ops Qual" to the "new Ops Qual" happened? I never noticed that so-called problem of anyone using another person's CAPID.

Not arguing it did not happen, just that I did not realize there was that problem. It seemed that people were always notified.
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 10, 2017, 11:53:16 PM
When did the change from the "old Ops Qual" to the "new Ops Qual" happened? I never noticed that so-called problem of anyone using another person's CAPID.

Probably sometime around late 2012 - I have email traffic as Wing ESO that still refers to locally generated approved SET lists
and Jan 2013 messages discussing using the "new" SET module.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Yeah so validation was always required, if a member used someone else's capid.
--so was SET, however SET wasn't specialty specific back then, it was just one over-arching thing once you had it (by passing the little 10 question quiz thingy), it applied universally.

Now SET is per-specialty, so you might be SET in one thing but not in another.  And you have to be current/qualified AND SET to sign someone off, which wasn't exactly the case, before.  Now the system works the way it was always intended to (as described in the regs), it has only just recently begun to be software enforced. 

Also now you will see wings implementing rules like "you must be qualified for 1 year before we will make you an SET"

Luis R. Ramos

It was my impression it was working that way - properly - even before the software had been implemented. I was never told by Wing staff it was not working or that there had been abuses. However I did hear at the time there had been some changes and everyone that had been authorized to sign off should retake the training and receive new authorizations by the Wing. I guess that either my ears were slightly plugged or Wing trainers decided not to explain the problems they were facing with the system...
Squadron Safety Officer

Spaceman3750

Quote from: coudano on May 11, 2017, 01:20:07 PM
Also now you will see wings implementing rules like "you must be qualified for 1 year before we will make you an SET"

That is a regulatory requirement in 60-3 and is enforced in the SET appointment module. It can be waived and overridden by the Wing CC or designer when significant prior experience warranting a waiver is in play - I've never seen that happen.