HISTORY: CAPP 10, August 1973

Started by jimmydeanno, December 02, 2009, 01:21:59 PM

jimmydeanno

The attached is a scan of CAPP 10 from August 1973.  Titled From Chicks to Falcons it served as a piece of recruiting material.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

RogueLeader

thats good, and still pretty relevent.  just slightly different.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alamrcn

WOW! There's one I've never seen - and a VERY detailed pamphlet, too!  :clap:

Looks like maybe it wasn't a National HQ release. Maybe done at a Region or Wing level? Took a lot of time and talent to draw it up, that's for sure.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pingree1492

Must've been a National thing- I found it between the pages of an old leadership manual I was flipping through from the squadron.

Does anyone know what it means when it's talking about the "Achievement Contracts"?  What were they?  I'm assuming that the achievements are fundamentally the same, just wanting to know some of the details about the "contracts."
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

AdAstra

"Chicks to Falcons" was indeed a product from National HQ.

The Achievement Contracts were the initial version of CAP Forms 52-1 thru 52-4. Prior to this, the squadron commander merely signed the CAPF 66 to note promotions. Can't recall the form number off-hand, but I've got a stack stashed away somewhere.
Charles Wiest

SarDragon

Back in the '80s, each cadet signed a contract for each achievement. I don't recall the excat contents, but part pf its function was as a tracking document for the achievement. I think it got mailed to NHQ in order to get the materials for the next achievement. Memory fails me on the details.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ascorbate

Quote from: Pingree1492 on December 03, 2009, 12:04:56 AM
Does anyone know what it means when it's talking about the "Achievement Contracts"?  What were they?  I'm assuming that the achievements are fundamentally the same, just wanting to know some of the details about the "contracts."

As I had to complete 15 of these written "achievement contracts" to earn the Spaatz, I recall that they were paper forms which measured about 3" x 8" (with carbon paper in between successive copies) that had approx 5 check-off boxes (per contract) that  typically covered: 1) a leadership component (with room for a test score), 2) an aerospace education component (with room for a test score; or staff duty analysis (SDA) sign-off after earning the Mitchell Award), 3) a moral leadership component (sign-off), 4) a physical education component (with room for noting the time for running a mile) and 5) some general statement certifying that you had been a good upstanding cadet (or something to that effect). At the top of the contract was space for the cadet's name and CAPID while at the bottom of the contract was room for the squadron commander's signature and date when the achievement contract was complete. I believe that one copy of the contract went to wing, another copy was placed in one's respective 101 file (at the squadron) and the original top copy was mailed to CAP NHQ for their approval. Typically within a month, one would receive word of his/her promotion in the mail!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

BillB

At the February 1972 SER Commander Call, and Region CAC meeting. HQ CAP-USAF asked the CAC to review and evaluate "Chicks to Falcons". The cadets stayed up until after midnight pounding away on typewriters with their comments. Later I spoke to a National staffer and he said several of the cadets suggestions were to be incorporated into the final revision.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pingree1492

Quote from: ascorbate on December 03, 2009, 12:40:34 AM
Quote from: Pingree1492 on December 03, 2009, 12:04:56 AM

As I had to complete 15 of these written "achievement contracts" to earn the Spaatz, I recall that they were paper forms which measured about 3" x 8" (with carbon paper in between successive copies) that had approx 5 check-off boxes (per contract) that  typically covered: 1) a leadership component (with room for a test score), 2) an aerospace education component (with room for a test score; or staff duty analysis (SDA) sign-off after earning the Mitchell Award), 3) a moral leadership component (sign-off), 4) a physical education component (with room for noting the time for running a mile) and 5) some general statement certifying that you had been a good upstanding cadet (or something to that effect). At the top of the contract was space for the cadet's name and CAPID while at the bottom of the contract was room for the squadron commander's signature and date when the achievement contract was complete. I believe that one copy of the contract went to wing, another copy was placed in one's respective 101 file (at the squadron) and the original top copy was mailed to CAP NHQ for their approval. Typically within a month, one would receive word of his/her promotion in the mail!

Wow, that's really interesting.  I guess I've gotten REALLY spoiled with tools like SIMS and the Cadet Promotions Application to track cadet achievement.  I certainly wouldn't have been able to run a squadron as large as mine is right now "back then" without a lot more adult support!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)