Medal of Valor list from 1961 to .........

Started by James Shaw, November 20, 2009, 02:49:03 PM

James Shaw

This is the most current Medal of Valor list we have. It is a working document and will be updated as we verify others. If you have any information to add please let me know and I will add it once verified.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

swamprat86

Thanks for the info.  There is one from NJ with the last name Simchick.  the frist name is a jumble so I will try to see if I can find a first name for you on it.

I may take this info and make a plaque to honor these names at our Wing HQ.  One of the NJ receipients was a former NJ Wing CC.

jimmydeanno

Eric Perron, Cadet (at the time), New Hampshire Wing.  I believe a BMV was awarded in 2007.

The incident involved a crashed motorcyclist in the middle of a busy road with him stopping the guys severed leg from bleeding out.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Smithsonia

Jim;
Your list of MV Awardees won't "un-zip" for me. Is there a chance of either stripping it in, or getting an email with that list on it. You've got my email address THANKS!
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

CAPSGT

Cadet Steve Sakadales from MD received the Silver Medal around 1998 for running out in front of an ambulance to push a young girl out of it's path during an airshow.

EDIT: also, I just noticed that your list is missing grade for Rich Benet's BMOV...he was a Capt at the time he received the award.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

lordmonar

Intresting.......anyone notice that we are awarding less B/SMV then in the past?

It was pretty steady (around 10 per year) until 1990.   Did something change in the regulation back then?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Dracosbane

You are missing two SMVs.  LTC Mark Ashcraft and MAJ Kristofor Copes both awarded for their valor during a fire at a restaurant where they went into the burning kitchen, helped rescue and remove the kitchen staff from the building, including rendering aid for burned individuals.  Although I'm not certain what year they were awarded, it was within the last six or so.

Edit:  Both from INWG. 

James Shaw

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2009, 05:58:42 PM
Intresting.......anyone notice that we are awarding less B/SMV then in the past?

It was pretty steady (around 10 per year) until 1990.   Did something change in the regulation back then?

I am not sure. The criteria has not changed so I am not sure as to why. Maybe people are takiing less risks, maybe they didnt get submitted. I think the last couple of years has to do with the rescinding of a few. I dont think they have had any for the last two years.
Jim Shaw

RiverAux

How come you don't have the pre-1961 awards?

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on November 20, 2009, 09:40:18 PM
How come you don't have the pre-1961 awards?

The list I have only goes back that far from NHQ. I will have to go to Maxwell and look them up physically.
Jim Shaw

RiverAux

Roger, if I recall from reading the old CAP Times recently the first one went to a cadet from LA. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2009, 05:58:42 PM

I know at least one from MAWG was originally submitted as a CC and then upgraded at Wing HQ upon reading the citation.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ltcmark

Maj Copes and I got our SMV in June of 2007.  You are missing Darrell Williamson from IN.  He received the BMV years ago.  If you cannot find any info on his, let me know.  He is still active, I can contact him.